Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

There are those who can afford to acquire. There are those who cannot. Then there are those who don't care and go out and shoot. Which one are you?

Does it matter what one person does with their money? Or is it blind jealousy that a newbie can afford to buy every lens and body under the sun while you cannot? At the end of the day, who cares? Go out and have fun. It is the results that count.

Hey nth wrong la, I mean, age-old argument, if someone just HAS $$, why not? U need not be an F1 driver to buy a ferrari rite? there are no prerequisities to how GOOD your driving has to be in order to own a super car. Same here, even if someone shoots like crap in P mode, but wants a 85/1.2L, power to them! =)

That said, I wish i had THAT much $$ hahaha!

no, then you are a "equipment chaser" and your hobby is not photography but photographic equipment collection.
    Fenders American Vintage '62 Stratocaster® Reissue

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNiHao View Post
    I feel that there are certainly some newbies who are quite into acquiring new equipments. But as time passes, some will be able to concentrate on the skills, and not the equipments.

Newbies would find it hard to understand when some really senior people talk about big theories.

I guess they need more time... If consuming aka acquiring equipments is their main source of joy, then too bad for them. It wouldn't be long term. On the other hand, if they are given time to actually fully utilize the equipments they acquired, and got more and more interested in photography, then good for them.

I don't think it's wrong because it could possibly be part of "growing up" in photography.

Do you agree?
    acquiring XXXX is part of growing up in a human nature, you can see that happen on living human being since the day is born...

as in the question here, a photographer is acquiring something something as he/she grow. some choose to acquire skills, some choose to acquire gears, that really depends on the individuals.

all I can tell you is this,
    acquiring gears is easy, and everybody around this person will notice the "grow" instantly. the gladden of this satisfaction is also instantly, but it will diminish very soon, so ones will keep acquiring gears to seek satisfaction. till a day run out of resources, or noting can satisfy him/her.

acquiring skills is not easy, and everybody around this person will not notice the "grow" right away, or some people may not even take notice at all.
    in the process of such acquiring skills is filled with pain and joy, and he will learn how to embrace photography as part of his life. noting external will change him/her.

every photographer choose his own path, according to what he/she believes in.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Some enjoy photography, some enjoy buying photography equipment, some enjoy both...but don't really necessarily involves growing with the equipment..
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    This definitely feels like an exam question.
    I believe the trick to this question is to find the "keyword"!

Here, the "keyword" should be "crazily". It is a dead giveaway.

Excess is (almost) always a bad thing.

So my answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarist View Post
    no, then you are a "equipment chaser" and your hobby is not photography but photographic equipment collection.
    Agreed. Sometimes when I go to Botanic Gardens to take simple fun snapshots, I see some people deck out with super duper 400mm lens with strobe lights and reflector with 1DmkIV, I'll just walk past them and laugh to myself.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Agreed. Sometimes when I go to Botanic Gardens to take simple fun snapshots, I see some people deck out with super duper 400mm lens with strobe lights and reflector with 1DmkIV, I'll just walk past them and laugh to myself.
    can you tell us what are they shooting at in the first place?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Wedding photos?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Yah lor. Not fair for the people with the big gear with such a statement. Some people are at SBG to shoot portraits and weddings for clients. Just because they have these equipment doesn't mean they have "crazily acquired" them, when it could simply have been out of necessity.

If you're laughing at them because they don't have assistants to help them carry their gear, then...

Actually, it boils down to the individual financial status right?
    who does'nt want the best/most expensive equipment given a chance to?
    Also, different pple grew up differently.
    Some own only a few toys some not even a toy...

How to compare?

But since u mention crazily how crazy is crazy?
    It may be crazy to some who cannot afford, it may not be for one who has more funds.

*Anything that is done addictively does harm in one way or another.
    Just my views...

Which ever path you had decided to 'grow'...just need to ensure you have enough 'capital' for your 'growth'.

To 'grow' in GEAR = 'capital' is MONEY

To 'grow' in SKILL= 'capital' is TIME

Of course the best is grow in SKILL and GEAR.

The only person who should be bother about which path to take is 'YOU'-yourself.

I will not care but envy is you have both the GEAR and SKILL.

Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    Hey nth wrong la, I mean, age-old argument, if someone just HAS $$, why not? U need not be an F1 driver to buy a ferrari rite? there are no prerequisities to how GOOD your driving has to be in order to own a super car. Same here, even if someone shoots like crap in P mode, but wants a 85/1.2L, power to them! =)

That said, I wish i had THAT much $$ hahaha!
    not really.

d3 with trinity lens is small money compared to a ferrari.

so we can stop all the "you're jealous" arguments. anyone with an average income in singapore, should they have chosen to do it, could acquire the best gear in the world of dslrs, if they so chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    It's not wrong, but that certainly is not the only way to "grow up" in photography.

Additionally, more gear does not guarantee a person "grow up" in photography.
    actually i do think that no matter what, the person WILL grow up. It is just how the person grows up. Like rich child poor child both will grow up one day, just in which direction. Largely depends on upbringing and all that. IMHO.

Crazily acquiring gears for the sake of doing so is definitely silly.Conversely, acquiring gears within your means, and with consideration as to why you need those gear, that represents growth.

Consider a photographer who starts off with the kit set. Through use of it, he will in time come to understand the limitations of his equipment, given that at the same time, his knowledge and experience grow from the usage of such equipment. Now, he can then start to consider upgrades and the purchase of better equipment, to further aid the growth process.

Quote Originally Posted by dche5390 View Post
    There are those who can afford to acquire. There are those who cannot. Then there are those who don't care and go out and shoot. Which one are you?

Does it matter what one person does with their money? Or is it blind jealousy that a newbie can afford to buy every lens and body under the sun while you cannot? At the end of the day, who cares? Go out and have fun. It is the results that count.
    i do agree with you. but very often we say its not the equipment but the results that count. in this case i feel that results could be either good pictures, or simply the enjoyment of having the best gears. To each his own.

Maybe should change the title a bit...

How can you help those who "crazily acquiring gears" as part of growing up?

I have friends who like to buy and buy but never use. Talk to then and what can I do to them?
    The Ans is "NOTHING"

ya, many pple like to BBB and show what they have in CS always makes me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    why laugh at them? it is their hobby to buy things. some people buy new clothes every week. some people choose to wear what they have until its torn, and use the money they save to buy their equipment.

I have one pair of working shoes which i have repaired twice already. Because to me shoes are not that important. But with the money i save from buying shoes, i use on other things like food, or in the context of this thread, some camera equipment.

Some ladies buy bags or dresses every other week. Should we laugh at them?

No intention to sound rude, just discussion nia.

Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    i guess u are referring to those equipments in those signatures.

well pardon me but u sound shallow and narrow minded.

does showing these equipments means we are showing off?

think along the line. new birds like me put that up so those more experienced/pros will know what equipment we are using, so when we post up our photos, we need not tell ppl what equipments we are using, comes to 'debugging' issues, its very clear.

to add:
    for example, a newbie who just started using 5DMKII may post threads like, "Can i use EFS lens?", one look from the signature can tell this is not possible so no need to waste tell to ask the TS what cam are you using?

just like hardwarezone forum, they also allows users to list their pc specifications.

is this show off?

depends how you thinks. You may think this is show off, but to others, it may not be. Although I may agree, some here might just be showing off but that may not be all the case.
    Last edited by sinned79; 14th July 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast