Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Eyesight and NS

  1. #1

    Default Eyesight and NS

    Hey guys,

    I have an eyesight of around 800 for both eyes? So does that mean i cant go ndu or cdo? What others can i still go? Can i still go guards? Or do i get to slack as clerk etc next time.

    If i lasik/lasek/pkr my eyes then can join those units? Better still, can go rsaf be pilot if i fix my eyes?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  2. #2

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Hey guys,

    I have an eyesight of around 800 for both eyes? So does that mean i cant go ndu or cdo? What others can i still go? Can i still go guards? Or do i get to slack as clerk etc next time.

    If i lasik/lasek/pkr my eyes then can join those units? Better still, can go rsaf be pilot if i fix my eyes?
    My eyesight also high degrees (1k both sides), but i not like u, i want a slack vocation lol

  3. #3
    Member ChengB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    From wad i read from the Pre NS info booklet (just got mine yesterday), you are advised not to go for any eye surgery before NS. Not sure of the reason, but i dun think it'll affect you that much.

    I heard that Mindef would sponsor you for one if they think you are talented enough or something. Can anyone who has info confirm?
    Just shoot only.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    For me is either super hiong or super slack. Either commando/ndu or at least guards, ocs, or super slack job. Heh

    Anyone know how to increase chances of going cdo? I know you can't choose but surely can like express interest somewhere to boost your chances can you?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  5. #5

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by ChengB View Post
    From wad i read from the Pre NS info booklet (just got mine yesterday), you are advised not to go for any eye surgery before NS. Not sure of the reason, but i dun think it'll affect you that much.

    I heard that Mindef would sponsor you for one if they think you are talented enough or something. Can anyone who has info confirm?
    I think cos if u have it just before ns, complications may develop especially if u talkibg about lasik. Normally if military (not sg though, i read it somewhere else) want to send you fix eyes, they'll send you for pkr/lasek. The procedure for pkr/lasek different from lasik. One involves cutting your cornea a bit, leaving perma weakened eye while the other doesnt cut the cornea but has a longer and more painful recovery. If you do a lot of water stuff or crazy stuff(military training?) dont to lasik. Go pkr/lasek
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  6. #6

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    you cant express interest either. the only way to ensure you get into CDO is to sign on as a regular.

    they choose based on the tests you did at CMPB prior to enlistment.

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    My understanding is that for cosmetic surgery like lasik, servicemen is not able to claim.

    Therefore, I seriously doubt Mindef will even sponsor any individual for such surgery.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Do Lasik at your own money. SAF will not pay for cosmetic surgery. Even if you are high flyer. Unless your eyes was injured during active duty then they might consider.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Dam.... So only was is to get pes a and hope u get picked for va and hope cdo choose you after va?

    What are requirements for pes a btw?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  11. #11

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Don't know actually. Maybe must be fit, pass IPPT with gold award during school time. No medica problem. etc etc. Actually ppl want to siam pes A and kanna a relax duty ... seem like you on the oppersit side.

    Do note that if you are injure during your NS time, SAF only pay for the medical during your tour of duty. But if your injury is perm and long term effect, sorry, SAF will not feed you till old lor.

  12. #12
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Dam.... So only was is to get pes a and hope u get picked for va and hope cdo choose you after va?

    What are requirements for pes a btw?
    u shld receive a pre-enlistment booklet which includes details such as PES statuses, etc.

    i heard that u'll stand a higher chance of CDO if u're PES A and have siblings.

    u can stop dreaming about being a RSAF pilot unless u sign on. (even signing on does not guarantee you to become a pilot. there's a computerised test, interview, medical checkup, tests, training, etc), drop out rate is around 90%.
    eat. drink. shoot

  13. #13

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    You can join Guards but do have spare glasses during training. Commandos and Pilot vocation are out of reach.

    From what I heard from the medic in my camp during my serivce, they even reject folks with 10% colour blindness for the last 2 mentioned vocations and many people who wanted to join the those vocations unfortunately fall in that minor colour issue category.




    Last edited by eyes; 14th July 2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  14. #14
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    You can join Guards but do have spare glasses during training. Commandos and Pilot vocation are out of reach.

    From what I heard from the medic in my camp during my serivce, they even reject folks with 10% colour blindness for the last 2 mentioned vocations and many people who wanted to join the those vocations unfortunately fall in that minor colour issue category.
    just to emphasize again that no one can choose where they want to go for their NSF vocation. pilot is also out of the question for NSFs
    eat. drink. shoot

  15. #15
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    My degree 850+ each eye and i got armoured infantry trooper... sometimes its pure hell

  16. #16

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    u shld receive a pre-enlistment booklet which includes details such as PES statuses, etc.

    i heard that u'll stand a higher chance of CDO if u're PES A and have siblings.

    u can stop dreaming about being a RSAF pilot unless u sign on. (even signing on does not guarantee you to become a pilot. there's a computerised test, interview, medical checkup, tests, training, etc), drop out rate is around 90%.
    pre enlistment booklet still a long long time away for me. Heh. Yea i know abt the pilot 12 year bond. Its quite siao? 2 years to train you to be' world class' pilot. Then after that do 10 years or something like tat
    Last edited by qwerty628; 14th July 2010 at 10:56 PM.
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  17. #17

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    You can join Guards but do have spare glasses during training. Commandos and Pilot vocation are out of reach.

    From what I heard from the medic in my camp during my serivce, they even reject folks with 10% colour blindness for the last 2 mentioned vocations and many people who wanted to join the those vocations unfortunately fall in that minor colour issue category.




    Guards heli borne trooper right? What do guards normally do in training? o.O
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  18. #18

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    My degree 850+ each eye and i got armoured infantry trooper... sometimes its pure hell
    In what way is it hell?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  19. #19

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    Don't know actually. Maybe must be fit, pass IPPT with gold award during school time. No medica problem. etc etc. Actually ppl want to siam pes A and kanna a relax duty ... seem like you on the oppersit side.

    Do note that if you are injure during your NS time, SAF only pay for the medical during your tour of duty. But if your injury is perm and long term effect, sorry, SAF will not feed you till old lor.
    Yea. We all know how mindef is. Haha. Relax duty very difficult la... How many relax duty are there man?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  20. #20
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Eyesight and NS

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    In what way is it hell?
    training... not related to myopia

    At night I can't see well, only found out when i went here. At night, everything look very blur.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •