Thread: Quick newbie question about noise

Default Quick newbie question about noise

Hi
    I realise that there is noise at ISO 100 - 200 photos
    During night or lowlight it can get pretty obvious at 100% zoom
    However I realise that level of noise is lower if I were to give longer shutter speed
    Currently using a 400D with 18-55mm kit lens

I understand that this might be a common question (after some searching, I still don't quite get it)

What are the factors that actually affect the noise (other than ISO)?
    Does using a faster lens actually allow for almost noiseless photo?
    Am I doing some setting/photographing techniques wrong?
    Why is it that I can find sample night photos from 400D online that is almost noise-free and looks almost perfect?

Hope to have some advice.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Quick newbie question about noise

faster lens would allow you to use a lower ISO which would mean less noise i suppose

can use noise ninja to remove some noise.

may be because the photograph isnt maximum size. would be obvious if you blew it up.

that aside, its also possible to get a camera body with better noise handling e.g 550d, 7d, 5dmkii
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Having a correctly exposed photo does wonders about the noise issue. Alternatively, you can use noise removal software.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by mikepy View Post
    Hi
    I realise that there is noise at ISO 100 - 200 photos
    During night or lowlight it can get pretty obvious at 100% zoom
    However I realise that level of noise is lower if I were to give longer shutter speed
    Currently using a 400D with 18-55mm kit lens

I understand that this might be a common question (after some searching, I still don't quite get it)

What are the factors that actually affect the noise (other than ISO)?
    Does using a faster lens actually allow for almost noiseless photo?
    Am I doing some setting/photographing techniques wrong?
    Why is it that I can find sample night photos from 400D online that is almost noise-free and looks almost perfect?

Hope to have some advice.
    Thanks!
    1. You are too paranoid about noise. You should see what ASA400 film looks like.
    2. You see "noiseless" high ISO images online because you usually see a downsized image, rather than pixel-peeping at 100%.
    3. Faster lens = faster shutter speed (but at the expense of DOF, ergo trade-offs).
    4. For long exposure night photos, use a noise removal software.
    Alpha

3 main factor that will show noise more obvious in digital sensor
    1. Higher ISO (This is because you increase the sensitivity of the sensor and thus it causes some part of the sensor to take in more or lesser light than other)
    2. Small or bigger sensor to amount of pixel on sensor (More pixel on smaller sensor = more fight for light)
    3. Underexposed or Overexposed photo.

clean photos are overrated.

concentrate on the composition, ansel adams said that there was nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept.

i think there is also nothing worse than a noise-free photo of nothing compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    clean photos are overrated.

concentrate on the composition, ansel adams said that there was nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept.

i think there is also nothing worse than a noise-free photo of nothing compelling.
    hahaha but then I sometimes see critique in the galleries targetting noise even before getting to the composition.
    might lead newbies to conclude that low noise = good photo
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha but then I sometimes see critique in the galleries targetting noise even before getting to the composition.
    might lead newbies to conclude that low noise = good photo
    if the noise is indeed too bad, then it is probably an indication that the person is not aware of gear limitation, even d3 will be limited in this aspect.

as hobbyists, sometimes we ask too much out from our equipment.

like someone in a photomagazine put rather aptly when the d3 was released and all the people over the world were going wow at its low light performance - low light performance is good, but how many of us hobbyists really need that performance? do we all sit in a dark room and shoot photos of black cats?

Composition matters more, actually some compelling ones with some film grain looks good
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if the noise is indeed too bad, then it is probably an indication that the person is not aware of gear limitation, even d3 will be limited in this aspect.

as hobbyists, sometimes we ask too much out from our equipment.

like someone in a photomagazine put rather aptly when the d3 was released and all the people over the world were going wow at its low light performance - low light performance is good, but how many of us hobbyists really need that performance? do we all sit in a dark room and shoot photos of black cats?
    agree with you... the culture of chasing the latest and greatest persists here.
    I'm guilty of lusting after the 'high-end' cameras as well...

my point about the noise was that sometimes someone posts a mildly-noisy landscape photo for C&C, and even though the composition is bad, usually the first few comments would be something like "what ISO did you use? quite noisy"
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    my point about the noise was that sometimes someone posts a mildly-noisy landscape photo for C&C, and even though the composition is bad, usually the first few comments would be something like "what ISO did you use? quite noisy"
    to be fair, most forums would ask that question too, because landscape photographs can afford to be taken with lowest possible iso (which should be cleanest with optimal exposure).

naturescapes does that sometimes, so usually the people who use higher iso there (since the standards there are slightly higher, at the very least in the technical aspect) have an explanation ready.

that said, good critique should encompass covering all aspects of the photo, if one has the time.