Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: Deep pocket = good photography?

Default Re: Deep pocket = good photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    I can only say, YMMV..
    i second that

My mistake for quoting L lens.. What I meant is professional lens.. definitely not limited to canon..

but still, I'll say many picture are nice bcoz they're taken with professional lens. If the same photographer took the picture with kit lens, the result would probably not be the same. I'll be interested to check out their pictures that are taken with kit lens..

most of the time, the shots are nice bcoz of the sharpness and the bokeh, and the diffused flash.

Pro lenses do have the advantages of a larger aperture and a slight edge over cheaper lens in terms of sharpness. A shallower depth of field provided by larger aperture does give u more choices of locations where the backgrounds can be quite near & yet allows u to achieve a nice out-of-focus effect with such lenses. That's where nice portraits come in.

But with a telephoto kit lens, the same effect can still be achieved. Just choose a location where the background is further away. Shooting at aperture f5.6 can give nice blurring effect to the background as well. It's a matter of intelligently choosing the right location to shoot your portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    The more oof, the more arty. True I tell you ^.^
    some very arty la...but JJ's composition can't really tell the subject he's depicting...can't say abstract too coz eventually I still see nothing...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    But with a telephoto kit lens, the same effect can still be achieved. Just choose a location where the background is further away. Shooting at aperture f5.6 can give nice blurring effect to the background as well. It's a matter of intelligently choosing the right location to shoot your portraits.
    That's where the constraints come in.. and make photography less enjoyable....

To have good blur, the subject has to be close while the BG is far.. and frequently, doing so with telephoto lens end up with half body shots and seldom full body ones..

end of the day, naturally it's still possible to get good portraits using cheap lens..

And, it's certainly not as easily achievable than using pro-lens.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 15th July 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Maybe one should rephrase the title to "Deep pocket = good image capture"... Image capture and photography is not the same thing (latter embodies a lot of things, including composition, skills, etc)... While image capture may mean - less noise, good bokeh, less CA, etc...

While getting a 10K lens might bring you super sharp image with damn nice bokeh - at the end of the day it boils down to composition and other artistic elements... and how it impresses the audience... Otherwise, it is as good as buying a Reventon and only know how to drive in 1st gear all the way...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 15th July 2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

My mistake for quoting L lens.. What I meant is professional lens.. definitely not limited to canon..

but still, I'll say many picture are nice bcoz they're taken with professional lens. If the same photographer took the picture with kit lens, the result would probably not be the same. I'll be interested to check out their pictures that are taken with kit lens..

Go to a photoshoot, professional model pose for you. take out camera, set to Full auto and machine gun 100~200 shots at aperture 1.2.. surely will get a few "good" shots.
    Shooting in burst of 100-200 for portrait is the worst thing u can do even wif top grade lens. Without proper composition and waiting for the moments to for the best expression to come before pressing the shutter, the most u can have are some "good" shots, never a great one. Worst, with f1.2 the DOF is so small, even if u hit the "good" moment with burst by chance, i can assure u it will mostly be OOF.

I believe nikon, canon, sony and pentax all have a cheap, good 50mm fast prime (f1.8~f2.0) that can do excellent portrait at ard $200 on a crop sensor.
    5DmkIII - 8-15mm f4.0L | EF 16-35 F2.8L II | EF 24-70 F2.8L | EF 50mm f1.2L | EF 100mm F2.8L Macro |

thank you for the link. very useful to me personally.
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by AhFoo View Post
    Shooting in burst of 100-200 for portrait is the worst thing u can do even wif top grade lens. Without proper composition and waiting for the moments to for the best expression to come before pressing the shutter, the most u can have are some "good" shots, never a great one. Worst, with f1.2 the DOF is so small, even if u hit the "good" moment with burst by chance, i can assure u it will mostly be OOF.
    That is certainty something that I will not do. It's a waste of shutter count.

It's just an example to show that a good picture picture doesn't necessarily must come from a skillful photographer if the equipment is good.

That is certainty something that I will not do. It's a waste of shutter count.

It's just an example to show that a good picture picture doesn't necessarily must come from a skillful photographer if the equipment is good.
    like I state, no good will come out of it as personally i know a person wif good camera that do that(not that extreme). After a full day event, he ususally have very little usable photo and most of them are hardly head turner. What worst is his skill for photograhpy didn't improve due to the relying too much on gear.
    5DmkIII - 8-15mm f4.0L | EF 16-35 F2.8L II | EF 24-70 F2.8L | EF 50mm f1.2L | EF 100mm F2.8L Macro |

Quote Originally Posted by AhFoo View Post
    like I state, no good will come out of it as personally i know a person wif good camera that do that(not that extreme). After a full day event, he ususally have very little usable photo and most of them are hardly head turner. What worst is his skill for photograhpy didn't improve due to the relying too much on gear.
    yes

without hardwork there won't be results... good things never comes easy... photography looks easy, but it is not...

but photography is really fun... especially that the result will stay there forever (or as long as your cd, harddisk survive haha)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    On a related note: I was talking to a sales person at Mee Too (in JB). And he told me that for commercial magazines, even the best DSLR is no longer acceptable - only medium and large format need apply. The ante seems to be going up and up.
    Really depend on the target audience and budget of the magazine, most of the commercial magazines in Singapore are still using dslr instead of digital back.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Sometimes it is good to keep the dead horse alive. It is the same principle as buying 4D. You hope to strike it. Similarly, by envying people with bigger tools, one hope to be like them, owning bigger tools in time to come. It is good that people are hoping for better equipments cos it means that we are all striving to get them.
    Strange conclusion. You don't become a better photographer by envying people with higher end equipment or by having it at the end. Personally, I strive by seeing other people's work and by working out finding out what they did - without wasting any thought about camera, lens or tripod brand. But ok, it keeps some gear whores alive ...
    EOS

So far, most artist lived a frugal life. No deep pocket.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    So far, most artist lived a frugal life. No deep pocket.
    i did thought of this before... and yes this is my impression also.. but i am not sure sometimes...

perhaps those fine arts photographers are not very rich... fashion pg should be better off i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post

perhaps those fine arts photographers are not very rich... fashion pg should be better off i guess...
    agree.. OOF? Fine art. Motion blur? Fine art. Noisy picture? Fine art. Under exposed? Fine art. Overexposed? Fine art.

Fashion/Event photographers probably didn't have it so easy....

agree.. OOF? Fine art. Motion blur? Fine art. Noisy picture? Fine art. Under exposed? Fine art. Overexposed? Fine art.

pai say , don't know what u r trying to say abt fine art...

care to elobrate?

if u mean fine art = oof, noise etc... then i got no idea..

fine art is fine art lor.... it can be sharp also...

I think he probably means the fine art artist has full creativity over his work. He is not under any pressure over the stringent standard expected of a commercial photorapher.

An artist creates arts from his own perspective, not from a customer's expectation. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    pai say , don't know what u r trying to say abt fine art...

care to elobrate?

if u mean fine art = oof, noise etc... then i got no idea..

fine art is fine art lor.... it can be sharp also...
    What I meant is, for artistic pictures, it's not necessary to have good quality picture.

To get good quality pictures, it's usually necessary to use good equipment. Sharp, in focus, noise free, well exposed.

To get good artistic pictures, it's not necessary to use "good quality sharp, focused, noise free, well exposed pictures". It's mostly on composition and how the photographer sees it as "art".

Hence, one does not need good equipment to produce fine works of "art".

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I think he probably means the fine art artist has full creativity over his work. He is not under any pressure over the stringent standard expected of a commercial photorapher.

An artist creates arts from his own perspective, not from a customer's expectation. That's the difference.
    actually i am just replying to the post about salary of pg... so i spoke my mind about my feeling that fine art pg may be earning lesser than fashion...

actually i read abt this in a book ... the author start with fine art photography... but turn fashion bcos he will earn more...

What I meant is, for artistic pictures, it's not necessary to have good quality picture.

To get good quality pictures, it's usually necessary to use good equipment. Sharp, in focus, noise free, well exposed.

To get good artistic pictures, it's not necessary to use "good quality sharp, focused, noise free, well exposed pictures". It's mostly on composition and how the photographer sees it as "art".

Hence, one does not need good equipment to produce fine works of "art".
    i see...

but if he cannot earn enough, then he better buy better equipement and becomes fashion pg.. haha...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast