Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep pocket = good photography?

Default Re: Deep pocket = good photography?

There is a short cut way to produce reasonably good images by people who got deep pocket. Employ a full time Photoshop expert and just hand to him the Raw files ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    There is a short cut way to produce reasonably good images by people who got deep pocket. Employ a full time Photoshop expert and just hand to him the Raw files ....
    or ask him to frame the pic and u press the shutter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    This friend of mine is a AV and computer geek. He has even done wedding videos for a number of our friends. So while I have not seen his photos, I am very sure he is no idiot.

My question/comment is just as simple as it says: do you need deep pockets to do good photography? If so, how deep?

On a related note: I was talking to a sales person at Mee Too (in JB). And he told me that for commercial magazines, even the best DSLR is no longer acceptable - only medium and large format need apply. The ante seems to be going up and up.
    "do you need deep pockets to do good photography? If so, how deep?"
    comfirm no. a pro can shoot with a pinhole better than some noob who wields flagships and red rings.

TS, have you watch the Iphone 3Gs photoshoot?
    conclusion, its all about lighting

Was chatting with a doctor (in private practice) friend of mine and the subject turned to photography. Turns out that he has a $10K Leica M9 with several $4-$5K Leica lens. He uses a Leica X1 ($2000+) as his compact and a top-end Canon EOS as his "DSLR backup" (I assume with the pre-requisite pro lens). At that point, I shut up. Sigh...
    at the end of the day, if he takes bad pictures, his $1 million gear, if he had that much gear...

can be consigned to the bottom of the sea.. and he might as well use a PNS.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    if i had deep pockets, i would employ full time photoshop experts and try to make them vomit blood.

give them overexposed photos, then camera shake, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    in a simple explanation; fashion photography is selling a style, a trend, and apparel, noting about the person(model) itself.

a portrait is showing a likeness of a person.

in a good fashion photo, human is always just a props.
    in a good portrait, wardrobe is just to complement the person.

-------------

as for the "mistake", some "mistake" in a photo is showing the incompetent of the photographer, as this, we simply label it as "mistake"

as for some photos, the "mistake" is being created deliberately or left it there, as in part of a design element in a photo. so we don't label them as "mistake".

eg, subject or camera movement is always no no in most photos, but it can use it to create a sense of dynamic of the photo if it uses correctly.

--------------

there are many rules in art/design/photography etc, rules has being set and use, is we learn how we perceive things around us over the human history.
    we can break the rule when we want to convey a message in another way, but we must first learn how the rules affect us before we can use or break them,
    using/breaking it wisely, we are an artist.
    but don't break the rule for the sake of breaking it.
    yes, we must know the rules to break them.

recently i was somewhere shooting, then i saw 2 photographers with 1 declaring very loudly that he likes to break the rules by slanting all his photographs to be artistic...

Was chatting with a doctor (in private practice) friend of mine and the subject turned to photography. Turns out that he has a $10K Leica M9 with several $4-$5K Leica lens. He uses a Leica X1 ($2000+) as his compact and a top-end Canon EOS as his "DSLR backup" (I assume with the pre-requisite pro lens). At that point, I shut up. Sigh...
    With deep pocket, it is good for any thing. So to the doctor, camera could be his collectors item. If Bill Gates buys a private jet, would he care want is inside the engine? Just get a pilot and fly the plane.
    Last edited by frozentomtom; 14th July 2010 at 01:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah hay!!! ....
    oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah ho!...

cannot shoot nevermind, must look pro!

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I think it's human nature, be one a medical physician or not.

It is oft difficult to differentiate want from need:
    • I will need a reasonably ok DSLR (e.g. 450D, 550D) and a relatively functional lens to allow me to take good photos, provided I am hard working and am willing to practise and observe the principles and art of photography.
    • But very often, I want to buy the latest body (e.g. 1DsMkIV) and the best lenses (EF 70-200 f/2.8L MkII) because they, respectively, give me high ISO capacity and very good hybrid IS. And these make it easier for me to capture subjects that i would otherwise find difficuilt capturing had I been without these better equipment.
    Therefore, although it is cliche to say it is the photographer that counts (yes, I agree absolutely with this personally) and to a large extent it does, but having slightly better equipment makes it easier for one to go that extra mile to shoot, for example:
    - that special scene with a moving human subject in the dark with your latest high ISO Nikon D3s camera,
    - that special 3D pop-up effect where the subject jumps out from the surrounding with your M9/lenses, etc. etc..
    I know of Doctor friends who shoot beautiful pictures with their mid-range Canon DSLR's and mid-range EF lenses. And they look at me with a funny look whenever I talk to them about new equipment.

I like the way Kit puts it - it's the icing on the cake.
    To those who can afford it, it's not even the icing, it's the box that covers the cake.
    I totally agree with this.

Deep pocket = Better equipment which gives you more advantage and higher chance of a better photo turning out (Faster and sharper lens, higher ISO with lesser noise, more accurate AF under low night with lower ISO, etc etc...)
    Good skill with normal pocket = Most photos are good, but chances of taking certain photos are restricted as it might require better equipment. Unless you have imba talent like USPH(Ultra steady panning hand), etc etc...
    Good skill and deep pocket = Chances of good photos produced are extremely high and plenty of wows photos are produced.
    Good skill without a pocket = Cannot afford camera and no photos

Ever watch initial D stage 4? Takumi has also asked the question about 86 and his dad new car (Imprezza).

I'm speaking from a point of view of a digital artist and a photography hobbyist who's trying to learn seriously.

Photography nowadays is masked with a lot of 'distractions'. Distractions of who gets better lens, who gets better body, who owns more equipment.

No offence to people around but it really irks me when people only ask what equipment I use when I shoot but not how and why I shot my photos this way.

If good photo equates to fanciful EXIF data, deep pocket will totally make sense but is that really true?

Good image quality does not equate good photos too. I mean c'mon, I believe most of our photos are meant for masses. Who really knows (other than us) what the heck edge softness, distortion etc etc is?
    If I give you a photo of mine without EXIF data, are you able to guess exactly what I used to shoot it?

I hope I am not making photos for photographers to feel satisfied. What I would hope to is to convey a certain feeling or message through my photos to the masses.

Back to my digital artist's point of view. I have people asking me what kind of equipment/software (e.g brand of color pencils) I use to create my 'beautiful artwork'.
    It's always sad to hear that as they are not looking at the true amount of effort I'm putting and the amount of heart and soul driven into my art pieces.

As for pro equipments, it's probably a different case, they earn with what they shoot. Efficiency and functionality is vital. Mistakes and time wastages are to be reduced to the minimum as we all know a split second can cost a precious photo gone. I hope I'm not being wrong here since it's merely my perception on this.

Sorry for the long post =x

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah hay!!! ....
    lol ....
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    My perception being :-

Deep pocket does not necessarily equate good photography but gets u there faster..

A quote taken somewhere which i agreed to a certain extent.

"Your equipment DOES NOT affect the quality of your image. The less time and effort you spend worrying about your equipment the more time and effort you can spend creating great images. The right equipment just makes it easier, faster or more convenient for you to get the results you need."
    EM5

good photography got nothing to do with:

i. doctor or not doctor
    ii. rich or not rich

the individual desribed above just got good gear, that's all.

whether his photography is good, need to see his photo. he can be good or bad. his job and money is irrelevant

Alot of people has misconception that with good skill you can shoot any photo good. This is true that most photo that you shoot will be good, but without stuff like a good telephoto lens and camera that is fast enough, you cannot even shoot the actions in the middle of a football field properly (so what shoot the crowd and the uncle beside you cheering throughout the whole action and the title is football match?). Smiliarly you cannot shoot a huge group photo with a 50mm in a tight area (try stiching the photo ba ).

Quote Originally Posted by ireallydontlikepink View Post
    lol ....
    i know how to sing u know.. dun play play i tell u...

oh yeah oh yeah oh.. .. hello hello.. u hu? hu u? ....

JJ? wa i sing your song and u call me ah... oh i like your photos so much u know!!!!

very good article... no wonder i find it hard to tell my kit lens pics and those L lens pic (i borrow L lens from a fren)...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast