Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep pocket = good photography?

Default Re: Deep pocket = good photography?

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    he's downright wasting the cam

deep pocket..... can have a professional personal tutor for photography and travel to exotic places to take photo.... eg. rent a helicopter to fly up mountain to take sunset...
    what I am trying to say is... there are advantages to having deep pockets....

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Some rich folk think that having lots of $$ gets them 'instant power-up' into the next level of photography, which is sadly... not the case.
    I know who everyone knows "who"
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    he's downright wasting the cam
    actually i support his buying of this camera.. cos it make the ecomony better haha...

My perception being :-

Deep pocket does not necessarily equate good photography but gets u there faster..

A quote taken somewhere which i agreed to a certain extent.

"Your equipment DOES NOT affect the quality of your image. The less time and effort you spend worrying about your equipment the more time and effort you can spend creating great images. The right equipment just makes it easier, faster or more convenient for you to get the results you need."
    My Flickr|My Son

And its entirely an the photographer (artist) eye, patience and skill that makes an image and not his tools.

The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi catchlights,

hope to hear your expert opinion on sellable photo is ≠ a good photo...

in cs's pnp section, i often see comments like , this is overexposed, underexpose... but i saw these "mistakes" (overexposed, underexpose...) in magazines...

so lately i have this idea, perhaps a good portrait is usually not a fashion portrait.. in a good (or should i say traditional or formal portrait) there are many rules.. but in fashion, they do not follow the rules strictly for sake of attractiveness...

i am not sure if this idea is correct or not....

anyway for me, there is only a good or bad photo... a good pic could be overexposed, but it is still better than a lousy correct pic... that's my view now

look forward to the expert opinions of you and other gurus
    in a simple explanation; fashion photography is selling a style, a trend, and apparel, noting about the person(model) itself.

a portrait is showing a likeness of a person.

in a good fashion photo, human is always just a props.
    in a good portrait, wardrobe is just to complement the person.

-------------

as for the "mistake", some "mistake" in a photo is showing the incompetent of the photographer, as this, we simply label it as "mistake"

as for some photos, the "mistake" is being created deliberately or left it there, as in part of a design element in a photo. so we don't label them as "mistake".

eg, subject or camera movement is always no no in most photos, but it can use it to create a sense of dynamic of the photo if it uses correctly.

--------------

there are many rules in art/design/photography etc, rules has being set and use, is we learn how we perceive things around us over the human history.
    we can break the rule when we want to convey a message in another way, but we must first learn how the rules affect us before we can use or break them,
    using/breaking it wisely, we are an artist.
    but don't break the rule for the sake of breaking it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    in a simple explanation; fashion photography is selling a style, a trend, and apparel, noting about the person(model) itself.

a portrait is showing a likeness of a person.

in a good fashion photo, human is always just a props.
    in a good portrait, wardrobe is just to complement the person.

-------------

as for the "mistake", some "mistake" in a photo is showing the incompetent of the photographer, as this, we simply label it as "mistake"

as for some photos, the "mistake" is being created deliberately or left it there, as in part of a design element in a photo. so we don't label them as "mistake".

eg, subject or camera movement is always no no in most photos, but it can use it to create a sense of dynamic of the photo if it uses correctly.

--------------

there are many rules in art/design/photography etc, rules has being set and use, is we learn how we perceive things around us over the human history.
    we can break the rule when we want to convey a message in another way, but we must first learn how the rules affect us before we can use or break them,
    using/breaking it wisely, we are an artist.
    but don't break the rule for the sake of breaking it.

tks alot... this is very very helpful to me... tks again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If you can take good photos, expensive equipment are like icing on the cake. If you can't take good photos, nothing can help you.

there is nothing wrong in being able to afford the good stuff at an early or beginning stage of the photographic journey or anywhere in between
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

deep pockets does not necessarily result in good photography, but it sure makes photography that much more enjoyable. in the same way that owning a ferrari does not automatically make you a better driver, but it sure makes driving more fun.

feeling good about your equipment does help you feel good about your photographs, and keeps the photography passion alive.

get the best equipment that you can afford, and make the most of it. excellence in photography comes from practice, not purchase.

as with any profession or hobby, having deeper pockets means you have a higher chance of getting better at it because of the training or equipment you can afford. but i believe no one should be limited alone by money
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Hi,

Juz share some personal experience. I have saw friend's comment on some FB photo and curiusity lead me to take closer look at the photos. Even as many of the photo is OOF like my friend have claimed, the person juz claim that the 5DmkII is a 2 year old technology and have oni 9 AF point, slow in focusing...... and he is using 135mm F2.0 prime at a big aperture hence it is not OOF but bokeh.....but it is clear that face less in focus than some other part of the body.

Deeper pocket help good photograper to get the best image but bad one alway put blame on them. I never complain wat the gear i own now becos they far exceeded my wat skill can squeeze from them. if my image suck.... it is my fault....
    Last edited by AhFoo; 13th July 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    5DmkIII - 8-15mm f4.0L | EF 16-35 F2.8L II | EF 24-70 F2.8L | EF 50mm f1.2L | EF 100mm F2.8L Macro |

I encourage people to buy expensive equipment to drive the photography industry, so that stuffs would be cheaper. lol.
    We have budget entry dslr which is under a k now, isn't it? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenphoenix View Post
    I encourage people to buy expensive equipment to drive the photography industry, so that stuffs would be cheaper. lol.
    We have budget entry dslr which is under a k now, isn't it? =)
    budget entry dlsr's will soon be under $500 (new).

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    budget entry dlsr's will soon be under $500 (new).
    lol... i can see that i'm old sch now.... still waiting for the lens price to drop like the cams. People, please buy more expensive lenses.

gd ! Buy more sell more so that there will be cheap prices in the Buy and Sell !

Yes and No...

Was chatting with a doctor (in private practice) friend of mine and the subject turned to photography. Turns out that he has a $10K Leica M9 with several $4-$5K Leica lens. He uses a Leica X1 ($2000+) as his compact and a top-end Canon EOS as his "DSLR backup" (I assume with the pre-requisite pro lens). At that point, I shut up. Sigh...
    Hmmm by any chance is from Mt. E hospital? haha. I think my dad knows someone with exactly the same equipment.

Anyway, good equipment does nothing but make shooting easier.
    But just because it makes shooting easier, you aren't guaranteed good photos unless your eye is good.
    And in case you didn't know, not all good equipment needs to be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    gd ! Buy more sell more so that there will be cheap prices in the Buy and Sell !
    Yah make L lens under 1 Hundred dollars..

I strongly believe it is the person that is using the camera and his artistic skills in finding a unique angle and/or composition of a subject. There are some photographs of common subjects that is captured is a novel way that evokes a 'wow'. As for equipment, buy the best you can comfortably afford to save you money from upgrading.
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast