Thread: Macro Photography

Default Macro Photography

(: hello all,

I have been wanting to get a macro lens. however, i do not know what and which to get. I am still new to DSLR and only have the kit lens and a 50mm lens. i read the macro converter on the macro photography thread and dont know if i should just get that since i am new to using a DSLR.

should i get a macro converter or a dedicated macro lens?

Default Re: Macro Photography

1. Read the FAQs in the Macro section.
    2. Read up online a bit. This is heavily discussed with sample shots already.
    3. It depends on your budget.
    4. Once you've decided on a lens/convertor, do a google search for reviews and make up your own mind.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post

I have been wanting to get a macro lens. however, i do not know what and which to get. I am still new to DSLR and only have the kit lens and a 50mm lens. i read the macro converter on the macro photography thread and dont know if i should just get that since i am new to using a DSLR.

I will say for a start, get the close up filter (Raynox) or extension tubes.. And couple that with ur 50mm.

Get a feel of what its like when doing macro before u commit urself.

But on a serious note, if you think u will go a long way in macro photography, its always better to get a dedicated macro lens.

HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. Read the FAQs in the Macro section.
    2. Read up online a bit. This is heavily discussed with sample shots already.
    3. It depends on your budget.
    4. Once you've decided on a lens/convertor, do a google search for reviews and make up your own mind.
    I have read up, but still didnt what to get and hence asked for opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    I will say for a start, get the close up filter (Raynox) or extension tubes.. And couple that with ur 50mm.

Get a feel of what its like when doing macro before u commit urself.

But on a serious note, if you think u will go a long way in macro photography, its always better to get a dedicated macro lens.

HTH
    heyy! (: thank you for your suggestion, i do love macro photography but i guess i should do as you suggested and get a feel of what it is like. a DSLR is definitely different from a p&s.
    is the raynox good? my 50mm is the fixed length one for potraits, that can work?
    Last edited by crimsonred; 14th July 2010 at 11:10 AM.

join a Macro outing.

its one thing to read on how its done and another to see how its done.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    join a Macro outing.

That's right!!
    Take the shot!

Well... I'd advise that you see if you can borrow or rent a macro lens and try it out first. If you like it and wish to conitnue in this genre, then get a proper macro lens.

I've seen too many users go one big round, from using close-up filters then realising the limitations and difficulties to either giving up or to get a proper macro lens in the end. Save the money and time. You may also require an external flash to provide for more illumination.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Canon MP-E 65mm 1 :1 to 5... Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    join a Macro outing.

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    That's right!!
    (: lol i shall join a Macro Outing the next time. it always is on a day that i am not free :P

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Well... I'd advise that you see if you can borrow or rent a macro lens and try it out first. If you like it and wish to conitnue in this genre, then get a proper macro lens.

I've seen too many users go one big round, from using close-up filters then realising the limitations and difficulties to either giving up or to get a proper macro lens in the end. Save the money and time. You may also require an external flash to provide for more illumination.
    hmmm... renting one. that sounds good too, so that i can try it out and see if i like it. however, i dont know people who are renting out sony lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    Canon MP-E 65mm 1 :1 to 5... Power.
    LOL i am using a sony DSLR. i dont know if a canon can fit?

well... too bad then, you'll need to find some other users who are also Sony users and see if you can loan or try it out during a macro outing.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

(: lol i shall join a Macro Outing the next time. it always is on a day that i am not free :P
    Did you check out the outings & gatherings section. There's a macro outing this sat
    Take the shot!

i am using a sony DSLR. i dont know if a canon can fit?
    There should be adapter avaliable, but macro has very shallow DOF which make it very hard to operate at 1:1. So at 1:5 hahahaha it will be worest.

If u want to learn more about u can read this from one of my favourite macro shooter. He gives very detail explaination on each type of macro set up.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=807056

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    There should be adapter avaliable, but macro has very shallow DOF which make it very hard to operate at 1:1. So at 1:5 hahahaha it will be worest.

If u want to learn more about u can read this from one of my favourite macro shooter. He gives very detail explaination on each type of macro set up.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=807056
    oh thank you for the link. i will take a look at it. (:

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Did you check out the outings & gatherings section. There's a macro outing this sat
    yeapp but i am not free this sat. haha! the next timer perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    well... too bad then, you'll need to find some other users who are also Sony users and see if you can loan or try it out during a macro outing.
    yeapp i will try that out some time.

heyy! (: thank you for your suggestion, i do love macro photography but i guess i should do as you suggested and get a feel of what it is like. a DSLR is definitely different from a p&s.
    is the raynox good? my 50mm is the fixed length one for potraits, that can work?
    Yes it does.. try google for this setup and u will find acceptable results
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

LOL i am using a sony DSLR. i dont know if a canon can fit?
    join the outings organized at the Sony forums?
    Alpha

I started off like u, using a 50mm coupled with Raynox to shoot macro. Produced very good results base on the money spent to get the Raynox and the 50mm lens.

But please please do not use extension tubes on a 50mm, whose focusing distance is already so short!!! You will end up with less than 5cm of focusing distance from the object. Hope I can save you the hassle of trial an error.

The extension tubes works well with lens like the 105mm, which gives u gd working distance of about 20-40cm. Gd enough for insects.

But of cos, if you wan true macro results, its always down to macro lens to do the job for you.

Cheers.
    Last edited by justin79; 14th July 2010 at 02:38 PM.
    S5Pro, Nikon 70-210 f4,Tamron 17-50mm f2.8