Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black and White film processing course

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Not necessary .... not everyone has a darkroom at home .... not everyone want to wait for hours for pictures to display ...... Me think to learn to get enough contrast from B & W picture more important ..... B & W no colour .... contrast is essential .....

Nowadays, there is an invention called a film scanner ..... what you need is to scan the film into the computer then pick those you like to print and send it to be printed at a neighbour shop .....
    glad u never said shoot with digicam, desaturate to b/w, send to lab for printing.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    $125 for SAFRA PC members. IMO it is worth every cent, because you get to use chemicals, paper (for two lessons) FOC, and most importantly to learn B&w from shooting to printing. There're also two outdoor excursions, one with an engaged model.

Print-wise, they teach you from 3R all the way to 12R, and mounting/retouching as well.
    Hi, any ideas if a non-singaporean can participate in this course? Where can I get more info abt it. Very interested.

Thanks.

nemotohp, sumball, check PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock
    glad u never said shoot with digicam, desaturate to b/w, send to lab for printing.
    Oh ya.... that as well ...... ....LOL..... But seriously, Digicam, even DSLR can never match film, not yet.....

actually you can adjust contrast during printing. Bubble-trace can be easily seen via film scans, but they do not affect my prints. You should try developing b&w it's very satisfying.
    If your lens is not good or the developing is no good, the contrast is not there .... If you use machine to adjust your contrast or use printing to adjust your contrast, the natural contrasting feel does not lies there anymore. If not you can try to use Photoshop to adjust constrast too, it sucks.... it does not look natural.

If Bubble trace do not affect your print, ever wonder how I noticed you have bubble trace???? ..... Look for the "white" spot .... or the "black" spot ... those should be where the bubble trace lies ......It may not be evidence on your buildings' picture, because of the lost of focus point, but it can be quite evidenatial on your 6/15, 7/15, 8/15, 11/15, picture..... due to close up (???) and focus point .....

No matter, today me go take Black and White after my exam, maybe tomorrow or Saturday develop it ..... think should have less bubble trace .....

But anyway, just in case you are wondering why am I seems to target you, .... because I find it rude for someone to hijack other people's thread to promote another course, if you want to recommend a course, I suggest you create your own thread instead.
    Last edited by blurblock; 6th May 2004 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    If your film not good, not matter how you adjust, the contrast is still not there .... at least it does not look natural.

If Bubble trace do not affect your print, ever wonder how I noticed you have bubble trace???? ..... Look for the "white" spot .... or the "black" spot ... those should be where the bubble trace lies ......It may not be evidence on your buildings' picture, because of the lost of focus point, but it can be quite evidenatial on your 6/15, 7/15, 8/15, 11/15, picture..... due to close up (???) and syco view, focus point .....

No matter, today me go take Black and White after my exam, maybe tomorrow or Saturday develop it ..... think should have less bubble trace .....
    I won't argue on the issue of bubble traces, because as I said, they don't affect my prints. To me, the final print is more important that's all.

I won't argue on the issue of bubble traces, because as I said, they don't affect my prints. To me, the final print is more important that's all.

well, do u understand why u could get bubble traces?? does "Safra" teach u to see ur negative??

Default here's a short peom

attend one course only
    no need so ya-ya
    caus ppl will then deduce solely
    that you are ya-ya papaya

The monochrome course offered by SAFRA PC teaches b&w photo taking skills, processing, printing, and mounting. It is a very good course and you need to go through it AND pass the assessment to be allowed to use the SAFRA darkroom. For your info, SAFRA PC will have a new club house soon, and the new darkroom will be .

Why are you hijacking people thread to promote SAFRA Course?
    Start your own thread man.

Sf is sort of answering another query from another..
    I also have the same query...

No doubt it is not so good of SF to post in a thread to give info abt an alternative program.. but this is a free and open forum leh.......
    if the blind supporters of Stanley Lim Colour Center (SLCC) are not happy abt free speech and info abt alternatives... they should not post here..
    go advertise in the press where there is no feedback machism.. why get so worked up? And show so much antagonism against SF?

Anyway SF already said that he is not against SLCC.. but just giving a tip to those who are not just looking to learn processing, but also printing. sorta offering infor to the public who are interested abt learning prosessing and printing and clearly SLCC is not offering printing..

As for me, thanks to SF... after his info.. I can compare against SLCC and SAFRA's course and make a better informed opinion on which is better in terms of value for money, quality of lecterer as well as overall facility.

"Both courses have their pros and cons, go with the one you feel benefits you more."

I will go for SAFRA's course at $125.. and maybe a little more for non-SAFRA member.. can learn processing to printing and get to use so much better facilities

For those who wants to just learn processing, pls join SLCC's processing course at $250.

This is a free and open forum.. there is no payment for advertising.. neither are there formal rules against presenting alternative views.. so pls take it easy.
    A forum is for sharing info openly.. not your grandmother's lobby where your relatives gather to speak about how good your grandfather is.

Flame me or not... go ahead.. anyway this is a open forum..

The monochrome course offered by SAFRA PC teaches b&w photo taking skills, processing, printing, and mounting. It is a very good course and you need to go through it AND pass the assessment to be allowed to use the SAFRA darkroom. For your info, SAFRA PC will have a new club house soon, and the new darkroom will be .
    $125 for SAFRA PC members. IMO it is worth every cent, because you get to use chemicals, paper (for two lessons) FOC, and most importantly to learn B&w from shooting to printing. There're also two outdoor excursions, one with an engaged model.

Print-wise, they teach you from 3R all the way to 12R, and mounting/retouching as well.

Just to clarify, I am not saying Stanley's course is not good. I was also his student before. In fact I had requested that he conduct a B&W course. What disappointed me somewhat was that he didn't teach printing, which to me is a very important aspect. Both courses have their pros and cons, go with the one you feel benefits you more.

I have been following the thread but has refrain from making any comments till now. Let me state that the purpose of this thread is to provide fellow clubsnappers with more info on the course. I am not in a position to comment on which course is better due to the different needs, expectations and budget of each individual. However, I can vouch from my own experience that this course I have attended is really good and would highly recommend it to anyone. Having said that I would still advise fellow clubsnappers to find out more about the course before committing to it. Take a trip own to Stanley or Safra and talk to the instructors, have a look at their portfolios, look at the lecture notes. In order to make informed decisions, due diligence is part and parcel of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeer
    if the blind supporters of Stanley Lim Colour Center (SLCC) are not happy abt free speech and info abt alternatives... they should not post here..
    go advertise in the press where there is no feedback machism.. why get so worked up? And show so much antagonism against SF?

I take offence at this. What blind supporters? What are you inferring?
    I am no supporter of anyone place. In fact i am SAFRA PSC member.
    I am irritated by sfhuang repeated attempt at promoting another diff course in a thread started by other people.

You better get your fact right. Free forum does not mean no rule. If Qinglai start a thread on a course at Stanley place.... we who are following this thread want to read up with new info to this. You want to make an alteranative recommendation... fair enuff. Post 1 msg and then later you all can discuss somewhere else. Do not start discussing all the rest here in this thread. they were pratically having a SAFRA PSC Q&A here.

You get your nettique right.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeer
    Sf is sort of answering another query from another..
    I also have the same query...

This is a free and open forum.. there is no payment for advertising.. neither are there formal rules against presenting alternative views.. so pls take it easy.
    A forum is for sharing info openly.. not your grandmother's lobby where your relatives gather to speak about how good your grandfather is.

Flame me or not... go ahead.. anyway this is a open forum..

I am not saying anyone is good or no good, I am just saying it is very rude to hijack other people's thread . If he wants to provide an alternative view, he is free to open a new thread.

Just think, if you were putting up something to sell, and someone just chuck in and state his items is better, better get it from him, do you think you will be happy with it? Moreover, that person starts to belittle your product and keeps on advertising his product to the effect of "if you want something less and more expensive, sure, go ahead and get it from him, but if you want something more but cheaper, you have to get it from me" All this without proof of quality. I merely asked SF for his photograph to give me an insight on how good the course is and pointed out there are traces that seems to be bubble trace, which he insisted bubble traces do not affect his pictures, it's his view, so be it. I had seen Stanley's students' negatives and they are clean and without bubble traces, the printout is pretty contrasty and sharp too. I will most probably be taking some B & W street photographs with a friend, provided it is not raining tomorrow, and chances are I will want to see if the negative developed is contrasty or not. Maybe after I develop it, SF can show me his negative and we could compare our negatives and printout.

Advertising for a course is similar thing, it is basic nettique to keep the thread to it's original form, this is not a Kopitiam thread where there is basically no rules.

Anyway, I must admit I am quite rude too, I was having examination session for the pass two weeks and was stressed out. Now my examination is over, I do find myself a bit out of the line.

By the way pixeer, I think your grandmother must be very rich and free to have lobby meetings where your relatives gather to speak about how good your grandfather is.
    Last edited by blurblock; 9th May 2004 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qinglai
    I have been following the thread but has refrain from making any comments till now. Let me state that the purpose of this thread is to provide fellow clubsnappers with more info on the course. I am not in a position to comment on which course is better due to the different needs, expectations and budget of each individual. However, I can vouch from my own experience that this course I have attended is really good and would highly recommend it to anyone. Having said that I would still advise fellow clubsnappers to find out more about the course before committing to it. Take a trip own to Stanley or Safra and talk to the instructors, have a look at their portfolios, look at the lecture notes. In order to make informed decisions, due diligence is part and parcel of the process.

As an instructor, I have face many different needs from all who join my course. The most important is that you learn something from the course. What I can say is you will not master a course overnight. It takes time to learn. Photography is a very long but interesting process. To all CS members, we are here to share our experience to you all.

As some has mention, we all are here to learn. Nothing to compare. Qinglai is just sharing some of his learning experience. He is here to share and inform about a course which SLCC is offering. Simple and easy. If there is another course which is offering something different, by all means start a new thread and share with us about your experience about the course.

Bobmann, Astin, RuthBaby and others who organise photoshoots have their fair share as well to teach some of us who wants to learn to shoot better. Some learn new experience from all those who organise model shoots.

Now let's get back on track. qinglai, glad you have learn something from Stanley. I am sure those who have attended our free workshop on March have seen Stanley did a short demo on Black and White processing film.

Everyone has an opinion of his own as this is an open forum. We thank you the contribution to all who has share with us.

pixeer thanks for vouching for me. Really appreciate it.

Anyway I apologize if I have offended anyone here. It's truly not my intention. I am not going to post any more info or recommendations on courses/shoots I've attended in this forum, simply because I do not stand for any of those courses and really have no business interests in advertising them. I thought I could share the info with people who share the same passion for photography. That was my sole reason for 'hijacking' this thread.

sfhuang out.

Dear sfhuang, please do not let this get to you.

I do not have any commercial interest in any of this before as well.

Please do share your opinions to help the learning community. Just do it with sensitivity to other thread starter. Opeining them in another thread is defintely fine.

Ok, back to business
    2nd intake for the black and white processing course....
    We already have 3 participants who have signed up...
    the course will begin on 7th June... so those interested can contact Joanne...

cheers

this is a "upz" from the previous page so pple know wat this thread is actually about!!

Also, The 8th intake for the Actual Day Wedding photography course is gonna start soon... those interested please stay tuned for more info coming up.

Hello,

The 8th intake for the Actual Day Wedding Photography Course will begin on 2nd July (Friday) For those who are interested can sign up with Joanne at 98583502.

Cheers
    Last edited by anavrin; 20th May 2004 at 09:24 PM.

For those who wan to know what our course contains, here's a brief breakdown of lessons and the items included in our course..

No. of Lessons : 4
    Participants will learn about the theory side of processing, hands-on processing, reading negatives, pushing and pulling and how to test ur own films.
    Cost : $250
    This course includes :

1 Processing Tank with 2 plastic reels
    1 Measuring Cylinder 250ml
    1 Graduated Beaker
    1 Film Wiper
    1 set of Film clippers
    1 Stirring rod
    1 Dark Bag
    1 Film Picker
    1 special scissors

This set of processing kit will be given to each participant and the whole set costs about $150
    So all participants will have a set of equipment to use while learning in class.
    Chemicals will be provided throughout the course..
    So actually the course itself is not that expensive as it includes the processing kit to let u start doing ur own processing straight away and even continue processing ur films after the course!!!

Hi all, an update from Joanne and Stanley, the black and white processing course for this coming intake is now left with 3 places.... Lessons will begin next week from 7 July (Wednesday) onwards...
    Those interested pls contact Joanne or Stanley for more info...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast