Thread: Indoor & Outdoor photoshoot equipment

Default Indoor & Outdoor photoshoot equipment

Hi,I'm interested in taking portriats indoor & outdoor.But I'm not sure what lenses & filters to use.Can anyone enlighten me on this?I'm using Nikon D70 with lens kit.

Thanks,
    Nick

Your D70 kit lens can do a good job for a start. Not neccessary to get any filter for potrait unless you are looking into special effect like soft focus...

If you are into close up potrait like head/shoulder shot or half body shot, try to use a focus length of 80mm...to prevent any unwanted distortion.

Yup, your D70 and kit lens is good enough to start on portraits shoot. If you really want to spend more money, get either Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (abt $180) or 85mm f1.8 (abt $550) and then use your feet to move around and frame and compose your photos.

Default Re:Indoor & Outdoor photoshoot equipment

Thanks a million guys.Does a fixed focal lens produces sharper images than my present lens?

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    ... use your feet to move around and frame and compose your photos.
    body zooming

Yes.. it is a very good practice to learn your composition skill... get a 50mm. really value for money sharp and good for low light.
    Last edited by jimtong; 2nd May 2004 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks man,really have alot to learn from you guys.

Thanks,
    Nick

Haha, you can also join my model shoots if interested. We share tips while we shoot

Quote Originally Posted by stiener
    Thanks a million guys.Does a fixed focal lens produces sharper images than my present lens?

Thanks,
    Nick
    In some sense it does, at if you are taking studio picture, chances are at f/11 - f/16 not much difference you can see. If you are taking outdoor portrait, it would depends on whether you want the background to be in or not. If not, then you would have to have either a longer lens (which is recommended, since there will be enough space outdoor for moving around and longer lens can control the bokeh better moreover there would be less distortion of the model's face.) or a lens that can open pretty wide, like a f/2.8 lens (but like I say, you risk distorting the model's face, especially on closeup shots).

But you will have to control D70 white balancing .....

A f/1.8 50mm fixed focal lens is definately a wise investment, not matter which body you are having.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    body zooming

Yes.. it is a very good practice to learn your composition skill... get a 50mm. really value for money sharp and good for low light.
    Agreed !!!! ... .hehehehe ......

actually 50mm very easy to use one..coz the view is so "standard" no-bulls-wysiwig-realistic-normal-no exageration...u just walk a few steps to n fro n will quickly be able to find a nice right composition st away

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Haha, you can also join my model shoots if interested. We share tips while we shoot

May I know,how much it cost per shoot.I'm just pick up photography,don't know much abt the techniques used.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    In some sense it does, at if you are taking studio picture, chances are at f/11 - f/16 not much difference you can see. If you are taking outdoor portrait, it would depends on whether you want the background to be in or not. If not, then you would have to have either a longer lens (which is recommended, since there will be enough space outdoor for moving around and longer lens can control the bokeh better moreover there would be less distortion of the model's face.) or a lens that can open pretty wide, like a f/2.8 lens (but like I say, you risk distorting the model's face, especially on closeup shots).

But you will have to control D70 white balancing .....

A f/1.8 50mm fixed focal lens is definately a wise investment, not matter which body you are having.

I was given an old manual vivitar lens,telezoom 90mm-230mm f/4.5-5.6.Produces blur images when at 230mm,wondering if its the lens inside have a problem.Don't know whether to bring it along when I go shooting or just keep in box.Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks,
    Nick

I was given an old manual vivitar lens,telezoom 90mm-230mm f/4.5-5.6.Produces blur images when at 230mm,wondering if its the lens inside have a problem.Don't know whether to bring it along when I go shooting or just keep in box.Can anyone advise on this?
    Keep your bazooka in the box. You'll never use a lens longer than 100mm in typical portraiture. Makes more sense to get a 50mm or 85mm prime, or maybe a zoom that covers the range, like 28-85mm or 35-70mm....

Does that mean that there are no other uses for that lens?Looking for 2nd hand lenses.On a tight budget,got any shops to recommend?

Thanks,
    Nick

Does that mean that there are no other uses for that lens?
    Not that it is no use, but of limited use... you can still try it, but you'll find yourself shooting from quite a ways back from the subject, making communication a little difficult. The generally slower aperture value of zoom lenses vs prime lenses also limits your low-light or limited-light shoots. The lens is better for landscapes or walkabouts, it's a pretty decent general travel zoom.

Looking for 2nd hand lenses.On a tight budget,got any shops to recommend?

Thanks,
    Nick
    Try the shops in peninsula and adelphi: TCW, Ruby, CP etc.