Thread: Nikon D5000 or Canon 550D? or D90?

Default Nikon D5000 or Canon 550D? or D90?

Hello! Can anyone advice me which I should get?
    I just entered into dslr-photography and prefer a camera that is light and is good to walk around with.
    Would be great if you can suggest lens to accompany the body too... thanks in advance!

Default Re: Nikon D5000 or Canon 550D? or D90?

Ah, yet another "what camera to get?" thread. Have you read any of the hundreds just like yours? I'm in a good mood, so here is what you need to do:

1. Consider your budget. Have you factored in the cost of a good tripod, dry cabinet, cleaning kit, etc?
    2. Have you actually TRIED any of those cameras? Have you also tried the cameras from the other major manufacturers? No? Then go out and try first.
    3. Everybody has different tastes and needs. Every hand is different. You need to go out and TEST the cameras to know which feels most comfy in your hands.
    4. Read the reviews. Learn what the limitations and strengths of each are.
    5. do not expect to be spoonfed. Learn how to be an adult and make your own choices.
    Alpha

D5000 belongs to a different class. It would require lens with SilentWave motor.
    D90 and 550D should be on the same level. Both have internal focusing motor.

For more detail, you can try this link:
    D5000
    D90
    550D

Take your time selecting cameras. Get the feel, the weight and interface of those cams.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by amandakhy View Post
    I just entered into dslr-photography and prefer a camera that is light and is good to walk around with.
    Would be great if you can suggest lens to accompany the body too... thanks in advance!
    Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
    Nikon D3000/5000/90
    Pentax K-x
    Sony A230/330/380/500/550
    Olympus E-450

All of the above comes with kit lens(es)...

it all depends how much you want to spend for the system.

are sports and lowlight performance a requirement?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

get a d3x .. it ans all ur doubts
    d200 d40x 3570 55200

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    D5000 belongs to a different class. It would require lens with SilentWave motor.
    D90 and 550D should be on the same level. Both have internal focusing motor.

For more detail, you can try this link:
    D5000
    D90
    550D

Take your time selecting cameras. Get the feel, the weight and interface of those cams.
    Hi thanks for your reply! When you mean different class, is D5000 considered as one level below D90 and 550D?
    Also, do you think the quality difference between Canon and Nikon cameras is huge? I have tried reading some websites but I can't come to a conclusion on that....
    Thanks again

Read the link below and you will choose Nikon D90 instead of Canon 550D:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml

i won't exactly call the d90 "light". it is considerably heavier than models below it, but of course not as heavy as models above it.
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

Also, do you think the quality difference between Canon and Nikon cameras is huge? I have tried reading some websites but I can't come to a conclusion on that....
    Quality difference? What are you talking about? No skills make a much bigger difference to your pictures than the brand of your camera. Guessing the brand / camera / lens form looking at a picture is close to esoteric.
    Conclusion: if you want to take pictures you can neglect the brand.
    EOS

TS,

you really need to try out the cameras for yourself.

The earlier list put up by cleonbus shows you the range of decent DLSRs out there.

Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
    Nikon D3000/5000/90
    Pentax K-x
    Sony A230/330/380/500/550
    Olympus E-450

But if you want my opinion, for its price, the Pentax K-x offers excellant value and features and is great for a beginner to DSLRs compared to other entry level DSLR cameras by the other companies.

Hi thanks for your reply! When you mean different class, is D5000 considered as one level below D90 and 550D?
    Thanks again
    Why don't you go and try D90 and 550D on your hands, and then ask yourself that question? You will come to a conclusion quite easily.
    The best things in life are free.