Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sucidal intention

Default Re: sucidal intention

i would have preferred to see 2 sets of fingers from outside grabbing onto the window ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    i would have preferred to see 2 sets of fingers from outside grabbing onto the window ledge.
    It could have been a maid fallen over due to her employer ask her to clean the exterior of the window....so not intended to commit suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    are you serious?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

I wonder how footscape87 feels after reading the posts that seem to be making fun. Remember, it's about a friend. And trying to convey a story rather than posting a well-composed but empty picture.

Footscape87, please continue shooting. Hope to see more of your works.

hi all...,each and everyone of your comments mean a lot to me..,you guys definately give me more ideas and points to look out for in the future when i shoot..,thanks a lot!!

i guess i really setted the title wrongly this time round ..,will really think of a more appropriate name in the future if i ever would have to submit it for critique comments..

aside from that,im not trying to be dramatic and what so ever and i have no sucide intentions..,just want to make use of this picture to express myself..

My first thought about the image is: Someone had jump out of the window! The perspective of the camera adds to that kind of feeling.

It is very immediate in a visual sense, & with a feeling of horror(at least for me); If that's the impact you want to achieve with this image, then "yes", I will say you have achieved the intended result. Not a bad try.

But if it is contemplated suicide where the person is still around, then this image doesn't work. It more or less convey to me that something horrible has happened; The subject is not around anymore & with the tell-tale signs of an opened window, plus a stool and shoes next to it.

I think if it's intended suicide, you may need to include the subject in the photo. That will somehow direct the viewers into thinking what the subject is feeling at that time.

When I almost jumped out of my flat in 2004, I remembered I was wearing shoes. Went back to my flat, and walked straight into the kitchen without removing my shoes and stand there for 4 hours. Until a neighbour passed by my main door and realized what was happening and he came in, ambushed me and held me to the floor until I stop struggling..............

This shot evokes lots of bad past and memories in me and I actually shed a tear thinking back and if I had jumped then, what.............

If a shot is able to evoke inner feelings - especially when it relates, this shot is worth 10/10.

that's for me.

Footscape87, not every suicide is the same and every setting is different. Your shot depicted a version which is possible. However, like many had said, the Title could have been choosed more appropriately. Keep shooting, I like your storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutter Journey View Post
    When I almost jumped out of my flat in 2004, I remembered I was wearing shoes. Went back to my flat, and walked straight into the kitchen without removing my shoes and stand there for 4 hours. Until a neighbour passed by my main door and realized what was happening and he came in, ambushed me and held me to the floor until I stop struggling..............

This shot evokes lots of bad past and memories in me and I actually shed a tear thinking back and if I had jumped then, what.............

If a shot is able to evoke inner feelings - especially when it relates, this shot is worth 10/10.

that's for me.
    Footscape87, not every suicide is the same and every setting is different. Your shot depicted a version which is possible. However, like many had said, the Title could have been choosed more appropriately. Keep shooting, I like your storyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't see how shoes in front of a window signify suicidal intentions.

if i wanted to jump from my house, and i was wearing shoes, i won't take them off.

if i wanted to jump from my house, and i wasn't wearing shoes, i would not find a pair of shoes to place it there for whatever reason.
    Yo bro Shutter Journey!

You were not alone! I also attempted sucide by jumping down from a flat's common balcony when i was a teenager with so much emotions running thru my heart and head... and my friends held me back and we had a fight till we've cooled down.. To this day, i am grateful to be alive... becoz i can't imagine the pains i will have leave behind to my love ones.. also it is a coward way to die in such a manner. Face the harsh reality head on, be brave and strong!

I agree with night86mare that whenever a person is attempting a sucide, he/she usually won't be bother about trivial matters like whether to wear shoes or not and what clothings he/she is wearing at the moment... becoz the person is already "out of his/mind"...

To the TS, nice photog, but may i suggest you try pp to have a "gloomy overcast sky" effect to highlight the "moods".

Cheers!

P.S: A fave song from one of my fave bands - Carter USM:

Suicide isn't painless
    It hurts like hell
    It's set aside for the famous a little suicide sells
    Nothing lasts forever but nothing ever did
    It's big but it's not clever and it's really not that big
    So no more tears you're a big boy now
    We'll have a few more beers
    We'll work it out somehow

Music for your enjoyment @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXC8dt7xitw
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 15th July 2010 at 02:56 PM.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Good concept. I'll give you a pass on the shoes bit, as it is mentioned earlier that the japs do it that way, which I think is ****ing weird, but face it, a lot of what the japanese do is weird anyway (and I mean no offense to any japanese who might be reading this). Now on to the photo itself, you are better off relighting the shoes to give it more prominence in the photo instead of using selective color to draw attention to it. As it is, I feel the red not only spoils the mood of the picture, but draws the eye towards it way too fast, before the viewer has a time to soak in the atmosphere you are trying to convey.

These plastic chairs are evil. I have a friend who fell over the edge when these plastic chairs slipped under his weight. I do not know what the TS is trying to achieve with this setup?

that's for me.
    hey bro,im sorry to have remind you of the past,but many thanks for appreciating the photo and your comments..,cheers to you and all the best.

i'll be waiting for your critic and comment to guide me along my photography journey too!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Yo bro Shutter Journey!

You were not alone! I also attempted sucide by jumping down from a flat's common balcony when i was a teenager with so much emotions running thru my heart and head... and my friends held me back and we had a fight till we've cooled down.. To this day, i am grateful to be alive... becoz i can't imagine the pains i will have leave behind to my love ones.. also it is a coward way to die in such a manner. Face the harsh reality head on, be brave and strong!

I agree with night86mare that whenever a person is attempting a sucide, he/she usually won't be bother about trivial matters like whether to wear shoes or not and what clothings he/she is wearing at the moment... becoz the person is already "out of his/mind"...

To the TS, nice photog, but may i suggest you try pp to have a "gloomy overcast sky" effect to highlight the "moods".

Cheers!

Suicide isn't painless
    It hurts like hell

hi bro! point taken note of!,so much thanks for it!

Quote Originally Posted by BurgaFlippinMan View Post
    Good concept. I'll give you a pass on the shoes bit, as it is mentioned earlier that the japs do it that way, which I think is ****ing weird, but face it, a lot of what the japanese do is weird anyway (and I mean no offense to any japanese who might be reading this). Now on to the photo itself, you are better off relighting the shoes to give it more prominence in the photo instead of using selective color to draw attention to it. As it is, I feel the red not only spoils the mood of the picture, but draws the eye towards it way too fast, before the viewer has a time to soak in the atmosphere you are trying to convey.
    hi bro,i was only trying out using the shoe as the main subject to draw the attention..,but i guess it didnt look much appealing enough..,but though from that im glad i've gotten some precious guideline from you,thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    These plastic chairs are evil. I have a friend who fell over the edge when these plastic chairs slipped under his weight. I do not know what the TS is trying to achieve with this setup?
    hi bro,the plastic chair is there to make the picture look more realistic and im trying to achieve the scene of a person commiting sucide.
    Last edited by footscape87; 15th July 2010 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Yo bro Shutter Journey!

Cheers!

Suicide isn't painless
    It hurts like hell

Quote Originally Posted by footscape87 View Post

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    - the feel of the picture..

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    - a feel of sucidal intention.., with the red colour shoe as the main subject,red colour holds a strong meaning to the chinese

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    - with the thought of a friend who just commited sucide and with a sense or sorrowness..

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    - i guess if not due to space constraint wise.,it could be a better idea to include more of the windows portion to give a wider feel
    Actually when I saw the picture, I was a little shocked. Don't know about the rest; maybe I watch more HK drama when younger... but yes, I saw the wide open window, and then the chair.. and when I scrolled down to the shoe...

If I saw a similar scene in real life, I would have thought "$#!^ WHO JUMPED!". Slippers would have been more appropriate but I suppose the bright red shoes would have had more impact. I disagree that the red colour has strong meaning to us Chinese; rather I'd associate it with blood.

It's a strong (albeit shocking) picture to me.

I'm not a fan of pics being b/w and only some part of it is in colour. A bit too tacky for me because it immediately screams "Photoshop!", and thus detracts from the original intention of the image. In fact, the stark red shoes kinda make the whole thing look a bit comical. Maybe dark humour, like when a clown commits suicide.

Lose the (red) shoes. The rest of the image is great.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12