Thread: How to use Cokin P173 Blue Yellow Polarizer?

Default How to use Cokin P173 Blue Yellow Polarizer?

Hi there,

I was advised to use the Cokin P173 Blue Yellow Polarizer in front of another circular polarizer for best effects. However, it seems troublesome to operate two rotating filters simultaneously. And having tried this, it does not seem to make much difference with just using the P173 alone.

Could anyone with experience with this explain why we should stack the P173 atop a circular polarizer and what kind of an additional effect should I be getting beyond just usng the P173 please?

Thanks for your kind help in advance!

Default Re: How to use Cokin P173 Blue Yellow Polarizer?

What did the 'adviser' tell you? Beside this, maybe you should read up about the very basics of a CPL filter. It could explain a couple of things.
    AFAIK, there is a warming CPL version out there, acting as Skylight Filter + CPL in one. But the function of a Skylight filter is obsolete with digital cameras.
    EOS

Blog Entries

This is what a B-Y Polarizer does. http://www.flickr.com/photos/immorta...7603855141395/

It lets you play around with the tones of reflections from blue to yellow.

If you use a CPL, it reduces the reflections, so I am wondering why your advisor advises you place the BY-PL over the CPL.

So, I guess it is best you ask your advisor what he/she was trying to achieve when stacking the BY-PL over the CPL.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help.

If I may say, this "adviser" happens to the sales reps at Cathay. Twice I was there, two different reps told me the same thing, "must" use BY-PL over CPL, even though I could not find any online info that says this, and it puzzled me.

If any experienced pros use the BY-PL this way, I would certainly like to learn the reasons why, esp when I agree that CPL would serve to reduce glare but not necessarily enhance the effects of BY-PL.

Quote Originally Posted by darkone View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate your help.

If I may say, this "adviser" happens to the sales reps at Cathay. Twice I was there, two different reps told me the same thing, "must" use BY-PL over CPL, even though I could not find any online info that says this, and it puzzled me.

If any experienced pros use the BY-PL this way, I would certainly like to learn the reasons why, esp when I agree that CPL would serve to reduce glare but not necessarily enhance the effects of BY-PL.
    Sales people want you to buy more. Best to do your own research.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by darkone View Post
    Twice I was there, two different reps told me the same thing, "must" use BY-PL over CPL, even though I could not find any online info that says this, and it puzzled me.
    Maybe a language problem? Using "something over something else" in the meaning of "using instead"?
    EOS