Thread: Anyone tried this - gobo

Default Anyone tried this - gobo

Read this in a book and was intrigued by it: suppose you have a scene with a bright sky (say sunset) and a dim foreground. Instead of using a GND, use a gobo - use a opaque, black cardboard in the front of your lens covering the bright part. Press the shutter button - it will expose for the dimmer part and with a slow shuttle speed. Make the shot. As the shuttle opens, as it is slow, you have time to withdraw the gobo thus also giving exposure to the top half but with less time. Of course must be done on a tripod and since it is manual, may have to try several shots. The aim is to give the lower half more exposure time and the top less.

Anyone tried this? Results different from a GND filter? Very curious.

Default Re: Anyone tried this - gobo

Same as using a black card.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

All these trick has been used during the film era, usually it is being referred to as dodging and burning during exposure, and if the camera is equipped with multi-exposure capabilities it is even much easier to obtain good result.

And all the above has got nothing to do with digital.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Read this in a book and was intrigued by it: suppose you have a scene with a bright sky (say sunset) and a dim foreground. Instead of using a GND, use a gobo - use a opaque, black cardboard in the front of your lens covering the bright part. Press the shutter button - it will expose for the dimmer part and with a slow shuttle speed. Make the shot. As the shuttle opens, as it is slow, you have time to withdraw the gobo thus also giving exposure to the top half but with less time. Of course must be done on a tripod and since it is manual, may have to try several shots. The aim is to give the lower half more exposure time and the top less.

Anyone tried this? Results different from a GND filter? Very curious.
    I've not tried this method, but have used a gobo for my flash instead.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

it's Black Card... i personally think that it's MUCH easier to use GND rather than flashing black card... let me show you 2 example:

evening, sunset, ISO 200, f8, shutter speed normally around 1/200s: No matter how fast i flash it, i still get a black part...

Night, long exposure, ISO200, f2.8, 30s: to cut off the difference between the bright and dark part, it's normally a good 3 stop and above... that's mean have to keep flashing the black card for that full 30s... the hardest part is, i tried to flash like 10 times before i click the shutter... with viewfinder open... when the viewfinder is close, at first 10s still okay... after 10s i find my hands went off a bit towards the lower part which i want to expose more...

GND worth the price seriously...