Thread: How do you guys use your flashgun

Default How do you guys use your flashgun

Hey people, just got my flashgun recently and brought it out to test it at TGX'10 today. I found it pretty difficult to get the correct exposure with the flash, and had to do trial and error and tweak the settings several times for a shot to get good exposure. I know the difference in how the flash meters differently in M and Av and stuff, but I just want to know what settings you guys normally have when using a flashgun to shoot portrait (all the way from full body to shoulder+face), and which diffuser do you use? Anything special to take note of?
    Canon Kiss X3 BG-E5 | Canon 135 f2 | Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 430EXII
    View my gallery

Default Re: How do you guys use your flashgun

im not a pro...

for diffuser....
    1.) Umbrella - cheap, light but not so easy to control the lights
    2.) softbox - slight more ex, more difficult to set up but easier to control the lightings.
    and some says that you can see the shadow of the frame in the umbrella.... esp the model's eyes...

from what i have read so far... you need a light meter to gauge the shutterspeed and aperature.....

(like i said, i am not a pro... so my advise might be wrong)
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

on the hot shoe you can use TTL so the camera compensates for you. then need to learn how to bounce the flash using a card so as to not take a picture of a white ghost.

off shoe flash you need to estimate how near or far you can hold the flash next to the subject. i usually use lowest power and experiment from there
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Quote Originally Posted by Soundaholic View Post
    I know the difference in how the flash meters differently in M and Av and stuff, but I just want to know what settings you guys normally have when using a flashgun to shoot portrait (all the way from full body to shoulder+face), and which diffuser do you use? Anything special to take note of?
    As mentioned many times: there are no portrait settings, wedding settings, children birthday party settings or funeral settings. Chose the settings according the light conditions at the scene and the intended outcome.
    Have you read the EOS Flash Bible? It's not just about that different metering alone - in result you will need to select / set your parameters / modes for exposure. Read up which parameters affect the image taken with flash. Secondly, settings will also depend on the distance to the subject / model. A half-body portrait can be achieved using 35mm or 135mm lens. Obviously you will have a different distance then to the model, right?
    A very helpful website with tons of advice to read up: strobist.blogspot.com
    Diffuser is a must, unless you want to have the look of a reindeer 5m in front of a Mercedes. There are many in the market, genuine products and China-made copies, search for 'flash diffuser' here and read. Personally I use SoftLite diffuser, it's lightweight, flexible and can be dismantled and put flat into the camera bag.
    ETTL will support you as long as there is the ETTL communication with camera, be it hotshoe flash or with extension cord / transmitter.
    I remember seeing some offered courses here for studio shooting. maybe you want to consider this also as an option? Invest some Dollars to get guided training.
    Last edited by Octarine; 11th July 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Soundaholic View Post
    Hey people, just got my flashgun recently and brought it out to test it at TGX'10 today. I found it pretty difficult to get the correct exposure with the flash, and had to do trial and error and tweak the settings several times for a shot to get good exposure. I know the difference in how the flash meters differently in M and Av and stuff, but I just want to know what settings you guys normally have when using a flashgun to shoot portrait (all the way from full body to shoulder+face), and which diffuser do you use? Anything special to take note of?
    There is NO magical figures. Only trial and error and only more practise will help you understand your tools better.

Each camera and flash works differently, some may need more tweaking to achieve a good pic, some may only require a little.

So I'd suggest that you learn more about how the light works and how using a flash can help you to improve the picture better.

As for the diffusers and such, wait till you master the basics first.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site