Has anyone here thought of customising their cameras? I'm talking about a concept that's similar to those buy direct computer online shops like apple store or dell. Here's how it could be:
For eg, a Sony NEX or Oly m43
1) Colour : The retail shops sells only black, online store has options for white, red & navy blue.
2) Buffer : Base model can shoot 10 RAW in buffer, u can opt to upgrade the RAM to go 16 RAW
3) Video : Base model shoots 720p. Options can be Off, 1080i or 1080p
4) Adapter mount : Base uses it new mount but need adaptor to be mounted for use of DSLR lenses. Option is to have a mount permanently screwed into the body so users dun need to buy 2 sets of lenses to enjoy the sys.
5) Flash : Base model has GN 7 at ISO 100, option can boost it to 12 with a longer tube
6) Sensor : Base model is 14MP CMOS. Option can choose 14MP Exmor or 16MP Super CCDII
7) LCD screen : Base model is normal LCD 230k. Option can choose 420k AMOLED, or 920k touch screen Super AMOLED
8) Semi weather seal : Base model has no seal. Option can choose to put a few O rings at the buttons & mount to make the cam a little tougher against the weather
9) Bluetooth / WiFi / GPS Geo tagging option. Base model has none
10) Battery : Standard is 1300mAH, option can choose 1800mAH
U pay a premium for such customisation of course, but u do get an option. Price can range from $800 off the shelf default body to $1800 customise body. Very cool!!
Something like that. I feel it can work & it can cater to a broader market. As u can see, the options r not deviating too much, so all modules or daughter cards r replaceable & can be used for the next models, so on & so forth.
This concept can be applied to DSLR range as well. Colour can be camouflage, white, etc
I'm so looking forward to such a concept to materialise