Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D60 vs D70 Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    I will get D60 any time.. Look at the colors taken by D60 http://www.pbase.com/francist/essai Can D70 match it?
    Why not?
    ps: i am a canon user but i feel that d70 is a much better buy now
    unless he prefers the canon lens/systems

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    I will get D60 any time.. Look at the colors taken by D60 http://www.pbase.com/francist/essai Can D70 match it?
    You are first pro-D60 guy here. Any other stuff you wish to add?

Thanks for all input so far. They are very useful to me. I am also happy that this thread degenerate into a war.(was a bit reluctant to post initially).

Keep them coming!!
    Last edited by shutterfly; 1st May 2004 at 09:56 AM.

By the way, is there any useful functions that D60 has over D70. I know digital rebel has no mirror lockup feature. Does D70 has it?

P.S. I am not concerned with battery grip.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfly
    You are first pro-D60 guy here. Any other stuff you wish to add?
    of coz D60 is older. I am sure D70 will come to good use. Even 10D doesn't have the color saturation as D60. But that doesn't mean 10D is lousier than D60. That goes the same case for D70.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfly
    Need some advice from fellow CS members here.

I was planning to get a D70 in the very near future. But recently a relative of mine offered to sell me a used D60 for a $200 lesser than a brand new D70. Should I take up this offer?

Some additional info:

1) I do not have any system at the moment.
    2) Vertical grip not important to me.
    3) Planning to take more telephoto shots rather than wide.

All constructive advice/analysis are welcome.
    If you do not own any systems now eg no lenses or flashes i recommend you get the D70 new.. althought i'm a die hard Canon supporter i seriously think a new D70 is better.

My advice is don't only focus on the body, but consider the accessories as well, such as lenses, flash etc. Getting s DSLR body is not cheap, but in the long run your lens collection will probably cost even more. Even though the Canon 1Ds and 1DMkII are wonderful cameras, many Nikonians are loath to convert because of their huge investment in Nikon lenses.

Let the D70 get cheaper first. It will. Why the rush? You will be buying it at close to half the current price in 6 months time. besides, there would be a D90 by then.

Default Get D60

camera body can be absolute in few years. But lens, is a long term investment.
    Canon has huge range of lens n accesories, so save the money,get D60 n get good telephoto lens.

In the next few years you might be able to upgrade your D60 to buy D60mkII which is better than D70 with minimal lost.

Ask your relative to give you further discount for the D60 because you were considering D70 which quite tempting offer.

Good luck

Heheh, I guess most of you can tell what system I'm using. (No clue why tho? )

If I'm system-less, I'll definitely top up that $200 and get a brand new toy, with better features. Not saying that the D60 is crap, but you are comparing a few months old cam with a few years old cam. The answer is obvious.

As for the accessories part, somehow I don't think it is a big issue. No doubt canon has more "lobang" and even at a cheaper rate, ask yourself, how often and how many lens do you intend to buy? Do you think this should be a major factor in making your decision?

I have only 2 lens, 1 50mm and 1 28-135, and i'm only thinking of adding another wide, that's all. With only 2 lens, being shooting on portrait, wedding, street shots, stock, and currently, product. Crap shots for all, with only a 28-135. BUT, since someone is still paying, heh, who cares.

At the end of the day, ask yourself, what do you want to shoot, and decide what accessories you'll need. As for the camera, I'll go for the D70. Not because it's a nikon or canon, I'm just looking at the specs.
    Last edited by togu; 1st May 2004 at 11:49 AM.

nikon's low light focusing has always been better than canon's. that's one thing i'll agree with northernlights.

as for tokrot saying about the colours... yes the output from the canon is nicer than the nikon.. but if you're shooting digital you jolly well should know how to post process.. the post processing will definitely give you sharper pics and colour you want.

as for which telephoto lenses are better.. all i can say is.. they're all freaking expensive.

as for which camera is better... d70 is newer as compared to d60. with better features.

but for what your relative's selling you
    it's too expensive.

yup, D60's low light focus is slow compared to the current DSLRs from Canon and Nikon. D70's fast write times and other features like instant startup, 1/500s flash sync (better than even the Nikon flagship D2H) made it a better body. But actually D60 is a very capable camera... probably more than what the usual photographer can make use of

Just a small point to note: The AF speed with the AF-S 18-70 DX has been found by no less than two reviewers (Imaging-Resource, Popular Photography) to be slightly slower than 300D with the non-USM kit lens (18-55). The reviews found the D70 to be superb otherwise. D70 likely focus much faster with some other Nikon mount lenses. But anyway, the AF-S 18-70 is a very good value for money investment, given the image quality (there're some distortion as expected with wide-angle lenses) and the AF speed is still way ahead of prosumer digicams.
    Last edited by mpenza; 1st May 2004 at 02:19 PM.

Deregistered

If you are worried about image quality, I think I can assure you that the two cameras will be almost the same. The Canon will have better performance at low ISO - the D70 doesn't even give you an option to shoot at ISO 100. OTOH, D70 has more pleasing high ISO noise. Having said that, if I were to shoot the same scene with each camera I defy anybody to tell me which image came from which camera! The difference will be minute unless you bring out your magnifying glass.

Your choice then comes down to which camera handles better. I think this is a hands down win for the D70. It is much MUCH faster. AF is better. Metering is better - no surprise since it uses the same meter as the Nikon F5. Battery life is astounding.

The D60 IMO is more solidly constructed. Pick up a D70 and you realize it's plastic. Very nice plastic, but still plastic.

I agree with the posters who say that the D60 should be closer to $1.1k than $1.4k. If you can persuade your relative to sell it to you at $1.1k, then you should go for the D60 and use the money saved to get yourself a better lens.

(Note, I am a 10D user).

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius

The D60 IMO is more solidly constructed. Pick up a D70 and you realize it's plastic. Very nice plastic, but still plastic.
    I thought D60 is made up of plastic as well. Only 10D has metal construction in its built.

So the general consensus here is unless I can get a D60 at a much lower price(< $1100), I should go for the D70.

Nikon seems to have a better flash system as well. Another concern would be the telephoto options for Nikon. I think it is kind of limited as compared to Canon.

maybe this post abit qian bian but i feel the photographer more impt. no use getting a $10000 cam with a $10000 lens but u cant use it to it's max right ?

I just can't help asking "how many people here have actually used both cameras"? If you have not, what makes you feel it's justified to give your comments? Based on paper? Or the web-based reviews?

I don't know whether or not D70 is better than a D60, cos I have only played with a D70 for 1 hour.

till now i am also caught in the dilemma between 3 cams...1 of which a D70..god help me...

Ultimately, either way the lens will still cost u a bit .. and image quiatly is almost the same anyway. Both are good cameras and good brands.. Can't go wrong one. I feel that you should get one based on your budget , and go and play with them all and see which one feels better for u.

IN THE END .. Its really what u do with it that matters.

Check out this guy's concept .. pretty cool and using D60 http://www.deviantart.com/view/6608638/

Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    I just can't help asking "how many people here have actually used both cameras"? If you have not, what makes you feel it's justified to give your comments? Based on paper? Or the web-based reviews?

I don't know whether or not D70 is better than a D60, cos I have only played with a D70 for 1 hour.
    I think some might have handled both or gotten reviews from others. Not really a matter which camera is better but given my situation, which is a better choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast