Thread: Pls advice: Projector dead, repair or buy new one?

Default Pls advice: Projector dead, repair or buy new one?

Guys...my Leica Pradovit 150 was spoilt for quite sometimes already, think the bulb blown...

Although I've not touched any film/slides for almost a yr now, I still have old collection of slides. So thinking of repairing it...The projector itself has not much value already, but the lens is still good, Leica 90mm f/2.5 Super Colorplan.

So, what u guys recommend?
    is it worth repairing? or salvage the old one then get new one?

If it's really a bulb problem, then just replace the bulb will do.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    If it's really a bulb problem, then just replace the bulb will do.

Regards
    CK

Thx, CK...Will check again later...

Anyway, anyone knows how much this Leica 90mm f/2.5 Super Colorplan cost nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by henavs
    Thx, CK...Will check again later...

Anyway, anyone knows how much this Leica 90mm f/2.5 Super Colorplan cost nowadays?
    Dunno about now, Super Colorplan is like $350 in 2002.

Regards
    CK

Dunno about now, Super Colorplan is like $350 in 2002.

Regards
    CK

Huh? What kind of projctor is this?? $350???

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    A Leica projector which projects using Leica lenses..

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    A Leica projector which projects using Leica lenses..

I suppose it's not like those LCD projectors right, that cost over $2000?

I suppose slide projector?

Not a projector, just a projection lens.

TME/sweat100 : It's a 35mm slide projector we are talking about here. Not those LCD/DLP projectors. Most of those budget LCD projectors are quite crap.

Regards
    CK

Thx, CK for the explanation...

Guys...As CK mentioned above, its a 35mm slide projector...a good old Leica projector...sweet...
    The $350 is for the projection lens only...The projector itself cost ard $200 few yrs back...

I suggest u replace the bulb and see what happen? If need to repair why not keeping it in tact and pass on to ur children in the future, it would be a good antique to keep..... (some might not know what is a "Projector" nowadays)

Not those LCD/DLP projectors. Most of those budget LCD projectors are quite crap.

Regards
    CK
    Sorry OT here but CK how do u mean crap? Good enough for watching movies at home?

Sorry OT here but CK how do u mean crap? Good enough for watching movies at home?
    The cheaper ones suffer from washed-out images, ghosting, etc from what I can see from exhibitions. Probably only good enough for powerpoint presentations.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by benchuatl
    I suggest u replace the bulb and see what happen? If need to repair why not keeping it in tact and pass on to ur children in the future, it would be a good antique to keep..... (some might not know what is a "Projector" nowadays)

Its considered antique already in the digital age nowadays, the brand name is still Leitz, not yet Leica..

Anyway, will try to get it fix 1st...Thx for the suggestion...I guess its worth keeping...

The cheaper ones suffer from washed-out images, ghosting, etc from what I can see from exhibitions. Probably only good enough for powerpoint presentations.

Regards
    CK

Yikes..... how much do these crap projectors cost? I used one recently that cost about $5000 altho' it did not look one bit impressive.... went by the brand name of PLUS... not a major player (to my knowledge) in the LCD/DLP projector market I thought..... btw, what is DLP?

Yikes..... how much do these crap projectors cost? I used one recently that cost about $5000 altho' it did not look one bit impressive.... went by the brand name of PLUS... not a major player (to my knowledge) in the LCD/DLP projector market I thought..... btw, what is DLP?
    DLP = Digital Light Processing, the chip uses several micro mirrors to reflect the light to the lens (something like that). Supposed to be better than LCD. Those crap projectors I was talking about are the budget $2000 odd types. I attend jed's sports photography workshop, and the InFocus projector used was pretty good though. And coupled with his excellent photos made the whole presentation mightly impressive.

Regards
    CK

DLP = Digital Light Processing, the chip uses several micro mirrors to reflect the light to the lens (something like that). Supposed to be better than LCD. Those crap projectors I was talking about are the budget $2000 odd types. I attend jed's sports photography workshop, and the InFocus projector used was pretty good though. And coupled with his excellent photos made the whole presentation mightly impressive.

Regards
    CK

$2000 still considered crap ar??? Wooo..... I was thinking bout getting one that cost below $2K..... good thing I popped in here and asked u..... Thanks!