Thread: exposure of films thru check-in

Default exposure of films thru check-in

does anyone know if it is safe to pack unused film and check them thru custom on a flight? will they be exposed when going thru the check-in belts? or is it better to purchase new films at the new destination?

Hand carry them, don't put them in your checked baggage. If you are not using high speed film, ie >800, you should be fine. If you are really scared, ask the customs guy nicely to handcheck your film, though they might refuse.

and they may ask you to put through the x-ray and increase the dosage.

sure thing. thanks for ya help!

so far i have put unused colour neg and slide film on hand luggage (and then exposed film on the return trip) and it does not seem to be a problem. i have read that checked-in luggage goes through larger machines which can potentially zap film - never tried.

to be very safe i guess you can ask them to hand-inspect.

i looked up some other photog's experiences, and this one looks interesting enough:
    http://www.scottpix.com/faqs/f162.html

increase dosage?!! woahhhh... anyway i have never asked them to hand-inspect either.

I guess if its a simple return trip its ok. If you have to take a few flights and or other security checks on locations, than it will be a problem.

I have tried before when I report to the press centre a few times a day in HK, unused films that I had with me were all fogged.

But its also true that check-in luggages are subject to higher dose of x ray.

Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin
    so far i have put unused colour neg and slide film on hand luggage (and then exposed film on the return trip) and it does not seem to be a problem. i have read that checked-in luggage goes through larger machines which can potentially zap film - never tried.

to be very safe i guess you can ask them to hand-inspect.

i looked up some other photog's experiences, and this one looks interesting enough:
    http://www.scottpix.com/faqs/f162.html

interesting read. even tho it's only one test, certainly put my mind at ease