EVIL stand for electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens camera. A thread for EVIL camera owners.
I was very interested in EVILs ever since olympus came out with micro fourthirds but got a fuji F200EXR instead for its portability and DR. But since my F200EXR died when I dropped it I decided to buy a EVIL instead for the higher image quality
I just found out that courts at Mid point Orchad is a great place to try out cameras. They have many cameras with batteries for you to test. No salesman to breath down your neck either. They have pany G2, GF1, G10, sony NEX5, samsung NX10, oly, EP1, EP2, EPL1. Almost the entire range for you to compare side by side.
They also have many DLSRs too.
my subjective opinons
Tried the NEX5. Looks the best. Reviews say has the best IQ too. But the interface for me is toooo P&S, very few buttons and knobs. I think I will go nuts using it. And the screen although is 3" but is smaller than the other models as I think they used a wide screen format so the actual live view is smaller. Not many lens though and sony isn't forthcoming about the upcoming lens either.
The panny G2 looks really great but the grip is plastiky, very different from a DSLR grip. Lots of knobs and controls and a full swivel screen with touch screen to select AF.
The samsung NX10. That is what I got It is also very cheap at $936 body + 30mm lens (SLR revolution). After using the NX10 for one day,
things that I like
1) rubber grip. Very easy and comfortable to hold
2) easy to control with a nice dial to switch aperture, ISO, AF point sizem etc. All these is very impt to me especially if you are used to using a DSLR.
3) 30mm lens is really sharp even at F2. The 30mm is THE reason I got the NX10. Among the EVILs out there, I think this one offers the shallowest DOF? The only other choice is probably the panny 20mm f1.7 which is more expensive and not that shallow DOF.
Thing I don't like
1) the AF is slow (compared to DSLR) and impossible to track moving subjects. Perhaps this is the reason why there is not many bright teleprimes with shallow DOF for EVILs.
2) framing using the EVF somehow makes my eyes tired so I ended up using the AMOLED screen a lot. If only the AMOLED is swivel
3) auto ISO implementation is stupid. On my 30mm lens, it increases the ISO when shutter speed hits 1/45 but it stops at ISO400 and then it start to drop shutter until 1/15, before it starts increasing ISO again.... They should have a minimum shutter speed setting for auto ISO.