Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Lens recommendations

  1. #1

    Default Lens recommendations

    Hi!

    I am finally getting my camera kit back up again (after ditching my trusty Nikon FE years ago). Though am back at the starting blocks, I got sold into the Canon stable this time and got a 7D with 18-135mm & 580EX II, then with the budget busted had to sting on the tripod. Got a Weifeng Fancier which seems to be okay for starters.

    I would like to slowly build a set of lenses as I go along, while the Canon L Series EF 70-200 f/4 would be great, perhaps I should learn to walk again before I run.

    Any recommendations?

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by remi1567 View Post
    Hi!

    I am finally getting my camera kit back up again (after ditching my trusty Nikon FE years ago). Though am back at the starting blocks, I got sold into the Canon stable this time and got a 7D with 18-135mm & 580EX II, then with the budget busted had to sting on the tripod. Got a Weifeng Fancier which seems to be okay for starters.

    I would like to slowly build a set of lenses as I go along, while the Canon L Series EF 70-200 f/4 would be great, perhaps I should learn to walk again before I run.

    Any recommendations?
    You need to tell us what you like to shoot.

  3. #3
    Member kaylan2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You need to tell us what you like to shoot.
    Well said .. thats the fundamental ....... unless you have tons of money and you want to have a show case of lenses
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    I travel a fair bit so I expect a lot of landscapes (both natural and city), architecture, street and people would make up the most. Night shots especially fireworks would certainly be in. While I would not venture macro and sports at this stage, prespectives perhaps.

    Would that be a wide range?

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by remi1567 View Post
    I travel a fair bit so I expect a lot of landscapes (both natural and city), architecture, street and people would make up the most. Night shots especially fireworks would certainly be in. While I would not venture macro and sports at this stage, prespectives perhaps.

    Would that be a wide range?
    You already mentioned quite a few genres, Landscapes, Architecture, Street and Portrait (people).

    For landscapes, an Ultra Wide Angle lens would be good. Consider Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16

    For Architecture, you need some PC lenses. I do not know of any Canon lenses that does this. You can try getting a Nikon to Canon adapter, and try Nikon's PC lenses.

    For street I recommend a Sigma 30mm/1.4 or 50/1.8

    For Portrait, Canon 85/1.8

    If travelling quite a bit and want convenience, just get a all-in-one lens, Canon 18-200IS, Tamron 18-270 VC, Sigma 18-250 OS HSM.

    These lenses I recommended are the cheaper lenses. You can always pay (a lot) more for the expensive lenses in these ranges.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th July 2010 at 10:26 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You already mentioned quite a few genres, Landscapes, Architecture, Street and Portrait (people).

    For landscapes, an Ultra Wide Angle lens would be good. Consider Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16

    For Architecture, you need some PC lenses. I do not know of any Canon lenses that does this. You can try getting a Nikon to Canon adapter, and try Nikon's PC lenses.

    For street I recommend a Sigma 30mm/1.4 or 50/1.8

    For Portrait, Canon 85/1.8

    If travelling quite a bit and want convenience, just get a all-in-one lens, Canon 18-200IS, Tamron 18-270 VC, Sigma 18-250 OS HSM.

    These lenses I recommended are the cheaper lenses. You can always pay (a lot) more for the expensive lenses in these ranges.
    PC lenses = tilt shift lenses right?

    http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/pro...ses-tilt-shift

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNiHao View Post
    PC lenses = tilt shift lenses right?

    http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/pro...ses-tilt-shift
    Thanks for the link. I am not a canon user, so I am not familiar with canon's lineup

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by remi1567 View Post
    I would like to slowly build a set of lenses as I go along, while the Canon L Series EF 70-200 f/4 would be great, perhaps I should learn to walk again before I run.
    Fully agree!
    Any recommendations?
    There you go - If you don't know what you need then stop searching just for the sake of having more than one lens. Shoot and see what you like and need. Keep in mind that you are working now with crop sensor, so field of view is different.
    EOS

  9. #9
    Member kaylan2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

    If travelling quite a bit and want convenience, just get a all-in-one lens, Canon 18-200IS, Tamron 18-270 VC, Sigma 18-250 OS HSM.
    TS: If you are not too much worried about weight then for traveling you can have 10-22 or 11-16 + EF 17-40 + 24-70 or 70-300, depending upon what interest you more. I am more interested in the UW and wide angle side and my lineup is heavy on that side.

    Those long range lenses are good for nothing I would rather say, putting a long range lens on ur DSLR is injustice to the capabilities of DSLR. If you rely too much on this lens then prosumer may be a better option, with even longer range, full manual control and sometime amazing picture quality.
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

  10. #10

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    For Architecture, you need some PC lenses. I do not know of any Canon lenses that does this. You can try getting a Nikon to Canon adapter, and try Nikon's PC lenses.

    What is PC lens?

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilli Crab View Post
    For Architecture, you need some PC lenses. I do not know of any Canon lenses that does this. You can try getting a Nikon to Canon adapter, and try Nikon's PC lenses.

    What is PC lens?
    perspective-correction.... not personal computer
    lens can tilt and shift to change the viewer's perspective.
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    TS, if you're not in a hurry to get another lens yet, try shooting with your 18-135 lens for a while.

    If, like me, you find that you keep going to the wide end and want it even wider.... well, there's your answer.
    Keep taking photos, then when you review the EXIF say a month or 2 down the road, you can have a clearer idea what focal length you tend to shoot at, and what lens to get next.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    perspective-correction.... not personal computer
    lens can tilt and shift to change the viewer's perspective.
    Haha...Thank u Teacher ZerocoolAstra for your enlightenment

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilli Crab View Post
    Haha...Thank u Teacher ZerocoolAstra for your enlightenment
    hahah you're welcome..
    those type of lenses are specialty items.

    I try not to find out more about them coz they're out of my budget

  15. #15
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahah you're welcome..
    those type of lenses are specialty items.

    I try not to find out more about them coz they're out of my budget

    ignorance is a bliss to cope with BBB virus. Works for me too.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Thanks daredevil123 for the recos.

    For starters may go in for a wide angle to complement the 18-135mm (which is good lens too), just a little itchy to have more zoom.

    PC lens would probably end up last on my shopping list. (zerocoolAstra thanks for the clarification) I was lost with the jargon too

    Is there a big difference in using non Canon lenses? I seen some really good lenses from Sigma, Tamron & Tokina but never used them. Stuck with Canon and Nikon (on the older camers) so far.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by remi1567 View Post
    Thanks daredevil123 for the recos.

    For starters may go in for a wide angle to complement the 18-135mm (which is good lens too), just a little itchy to have more zoom.

    PC lens would probably end up last on my shopping list. (zerocoolAstra thanks for the clarification) I was lost with the jargon too

    Is there a big difference in using non Canon lenses? I seen some really good lenses from Sigma, Tamron & Tokina but never used them. Stuck with Canon and Nikon (on the older camers) so far.
    I lurrrvve my Tokina 12-24 f/4!!!

    built like a tank, priced like a pickup!
    Exploring! :)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by remi1567 View Post
    I travel a fair bit so I expect a lot of landscapes (both natural and city), architecture, street and people would make up the most. Night shots especially fireworks would certainly be in. While I would not venture macro and sports at this stage, prespectives perhaps.

    Would that be a wide range?
    Canon 24-105 f/4L
    plus a wide angle lens

  19. #19

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I lurrrvve my Tokina 12-24 f/4!!!

    built like a tank, priced like a pickup!
    yeah.i love this lens too...i got it less than $800

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I lurrrvve my Tokina 12-24 f/4!!!

    built like a tank, priced like a pickup!
    And I my Tokina 11-16/2.8 too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •