Thread: Blur n slight dark pics!!

Default Blur n slight dark pics!!

Hi guys! Well finally got results of my first slr shots! Pretty happy with them for a first try but some turn our blur and slightly dark. Can anyone help me out! Actually my 1st try are taken with auto mode.

Prob 1
    Pic taken of my goldfishes turn out blur even though sports mode was used. Think part of e reason is b'coz of reflection frm e tank n another e continuous movement of the fishes. I'll turn manual e next time but what setting shd i use??

Prob 2
    Some outdoor pic turn out a bit dark. Is it caused by e type of filter (Starlight) i use? How to rectify this prob?

you have to furnish details like aperture and shutter used for each pic, maybe post the pic too!

is flash used?

Alamak! I didn't take note of e setting for e auto modes that i wuz using. Ok neva i'll try to post e pic instead. Yup i used e small flash that comes with e cam

what SLR are you using? Film or digital?

If it's dark, probably underexposed, if it's blur, probably your shutterspeed not fast enuff too much handshake... really, without more details, cannot help much.

I'm shooting film SLRs myself, so let me know if that's what you need help with.

Quote Originally Posted by cs_sim
    Prob 1
    Pic taken of my goldfishes turn out blur even though sports mode was used. Think part of e reason is b'coz of reflection frm e tank n another e continuous movement of the fishes. I'll turn manual e next time but what setting shd i use??

Prob 2
    Some outdoor pic turn out a bit dark. Is it caused by e type of filter (Starlight) i use? How to rectify this prob?
    Your Prob 1 of blur pics: probably due to you are shooting through the fish tank glass, and the camera focus on the glass instead of the goldfish, ie out of focus photos. It is also probably due to your handshake when you are using a slow shutter speed.

Your Prob 2 of dark pics: probably due to wrong exposure or metering technique. Do you include a large portion of sky/sea in your photos? Or your subject is wearing white shirt in front of a white background? That will fool your camera metering.

Actually I'm using a film slr. Think e shutter speed used when taking e fishes is less than 20 nut i wuz using a tripod, so dun think its due to any shaking. N for the pic that were a bit dark, i wuz focusing on the sea.

Actually I'm using a film slr. Think e shutter speed used when taking e fishes is less than 20 nut i wuz using a tripod, so dun think its due to any shaking. N for the pic that were a bit dark, i wuz focusing on the sea.
    Slower than 1/20 second? Fish move. That may explain your blur. Try a fast speed like 1/125.

Dunno what you did for the sea shot, maybe it was low light and you didn't expose long enough, for instance... why don't you post up your pix? And the equations you used...

Hi guys! Well finally got results of my first slr shots! Pretty happy with them for a first try but some turn our blur and slightly dark. Can anyone help me out! Actually my 1st try are taken with auto mode.

Prob 1

Prob 2

Fish are very fast swimmer (obviously). It is not easy to set focus on them... once focus point set, the fish could have change position.

Forget about sport mode, use manual focus instead. You will have more control of the focusing and it is faster then auto focus. Observe the fish, study the pattern of its swim path. Then set your lens to aim at that particular spot. Once the fish swim onto that spot.... adjust the focus and SNAP!!! then wait for the fish to reach that spot and snap again.. take many shots and you might have serveral good shot out of 1 roll.

Shooting fish are not easy. it require lots of patience and worst, could tired your eyes very easily when you are aiming thru the view finder.. lots of time are wasted on waiting....

If you have a pol filter, use it to reduce reflection.
    Depend on the lighting cond of the ambience.. normally if you use ext flash, set to app priority for F5.6 and the shuttle to x-sync.. you have to experiment it in this department.

Also, no need tripod. Tripod can only prevent camera shake not motion blur. The fish still swim faster then 1/20. Therefore will still have a motion blur at that shuttle speed.

Maybe you can post the picture for us to see?
    Last edited by jimtong; 2nd May 2004 at 12:31 AM.

N for the pic that were a bit dark, i wuz focusing on the sea.
    can post the picture?

The sea reflect light which can fool your camera into underexposed. Try to push up 1-1.5 stop might help.

How do i post e pics directly onto this thread?