Thread: iMac or Mac Pro

Default iMac or Mac Pro

Hi guys...

I am looking for upgrade from my current iMac.

Anyone who migrated from iMac to Mac Pro could shed some light on whether the MacPro is a lot more versatile machine? and why?

Assuming money is not an issue....

The way I look at it is, will the iMac that has similar spec to Mac Pro (ie, latest 27" QuadCore iMac Vs current QuadCore MacPro) still run any significantly slower?

The consideration is mainly on space saving, but on the other hand, I would like to make sure I can spend more time working then waiting for the machine.

However, iMac screen are not the best screen for retouching... but I am used to the luminance difference between the screen and print, so not much of an issue. I could always have a better monitor sitting on the side of iMac for softproofing if needed.

I don't see the need for HDD upgrade or RAID feature on MacPro in the future as all my files are in Drobo.

I shoot RAW and using PS and my monthly average is about 10k RAW and it is on the rise... So I come to a state that I will need more power from the machine.

For this consideration, I will only consider Mac products so PC is out for me...

Any view is much appreciated...

Regards,

Hart

Default Re: iMac or Mac Pro

I moved from the iMac to the Mac Pro and all I can say is... I can't believe how light my wallet felt. LOL!

Anyway, the only noticeable gain is you have access to faster HDD, RAID, PCI-e connection, better graphics (not much really unless you are really really rich and crazy enough to pay 200% more for an outdated card) and that's about all. No doubt your photo/video batch editing is faster, other than that, you don't gain any further benefits from the iMac. If you are using the 2007 iMac 24" model, you are pretty much screwed with the LCD. If you are on the latest model, its not so bad. Still ok for photo editing.

Speed wise, its almost on par with a fast iMac for everyday work. For batching and video editing, its a bit faster.

If your Drobo has an eSATA connection, you can always buy a eSATA PCI-e card. For graphics, I bought a PC ATI 4890 and flashed it for use on the Mac Pro. I saved 300 bucks in the process. If you are the type who likes to tinker, the Mac Pro is 'ok' la. The choices are limited and can be very expensive. If you don't like to tinker, the iMac seems like a wiser choice.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Thanks Hazmee,

Appreciate the reply. Looks like the iMac is the way to go for its space saving.

I had a quick look on your work... impressive VR works and great images...

Regards,

Hart

i own a iMac and i can't wait for the day for it to give up on me so i can upgrade it to a Mac Pro.
    this is because of the slow processing rate during photo editing. i run Aperture 3 on my iMac and sometimes it gets really slow and the processes queue forever(just an hyperbole). but to me an iMac is good for general use, but when you wanna do more stuff and faster a Mac Pro is the way to go.

the Mac Pro is very much faster, cooler(my iMac gets hot enough to cook an egg), better, and you can run dual displays on it without it lagging. after all it is capable of burning two dvds simultaneously.

or else, if you are like me, poor, get iMac.

i own 2009 core 2 version for mac book pro , it is so slow when using iphoto and aperture 3 ..... any tricks to enhance the speed ?? the " volley ball " just none stop spinning in full screen mode .... arrghhh !!!!

the machine is not even a year old , wallet cannot keep up the speed if keep on changing :-(

Quote Originally Posted by khiunngiap View Post
    i own 2009 core 2 version for mac book pro , it is so slow when using iphoto and aperture 3 ..... any tricks to enhance the speed ?? the " volley ball " just none stop spinning in full screen mode .... arrghhh !!!!

the machine is not even a year old , wallet cannot keep up the speed if keep on changing :-(
    TS is talking about Mac Pro la... desktop... not laptop.

BTW, Aperture is memory intensive and probably need a fast HDD to process all the data. Its relatively new so I am sure there are bugs that needs to be ironed out.

You can try reading up from here: http://forums.macworld.com/index.php...w-performance/

Hope that helps.

I think iMac is a better option...if you have the budget of buying the Pro Desktop, why not park the $$$ for a bigger screen iMac and boost the Memory...

But when using the iMac, get the latest Adobe CS5 softwares because they are designed for the new iMac so they will perform better. The old CS version will cause problem like hangs and quits.

I am using the iMac 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo + 8 GB Memory with Adobe CS3....its working well for me but just have to face the occasional application bombs. Most of the time I will use both Illustrator and photoshop concurrently. Will eventually upgrade to a CS5.
    Last edited by SumoBear; 12th July 2010 at 03:15 PM.
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta93 View Post
    i own a iMac and i can't wait for the day for it to give up on me so i can upgrade it to a Mac Pro.
    this is because of the slow processing rate during photo editing. i run Aperture 3 on my iMac and sometimes it gets really slow and the processes queue forever(just an hyperbole). but to me an iMac is good for general use, but when you wanna do more stuff and faster a Mac Pro is the way to go.

the Mac Pro is very much faster, cooler(my iMac gets hot enough to cook an egg), better, and you can run dual displays on it without it lagging. after all it is capable of burning two dvds simultaneously.

or else, if you are like me, poor, get iMac.
    I'll be honest with you: for the price you are paying on the Mac Pro, a core i7 PC with lots of RAM, fast HDDs and Windows 7 makes much more economical sense since you are using it only for photo editing. Adobe products runs faster on Windows for some strange reason. This is coming from someone who owns a Mac Pro! I don't have scientific test but a simple batch processing of 300 images on Lightroom is much faster on Windows than Snow Leopard.

The Mac Pro doesn't run 'cooler' when you are working with memory intensive programs. It heats up just like the iMac. I've had my machine running at 80 deg C and idle at 65 deg C. The fans didn't even bother to cool it down. God bless the open source community for coming up with a fan management control, I got it down to 45 deg C. My room don't feel like a sauna anymore.

But since you are using Aperture, then I guess you have no choice but stick to Apple's ridiculous offering. Buy the Mac Pro only if the job needs one. If not, stick with the iMac.

Yah a Mac Pro will definitely make ur wallet much much lighter. But OSX is a great OS that is one of the fastest. But upgrading to MAc Pro is very expansive why not consider building ur customised computer and installing Snow leopard on it as the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    ...why not consider building ur customised computer and installing Snow leopard on it as the OS.
    Let's not go there....

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Adobe products runs faster on Windows for some strange reason.
    probably because for OSX they had to translate their code base from Carbon, on which the earlier 32bit versions are written, to Cocoa to get to 64bit due to Apple's requirements, which means the code might not be as streamlined as their code for Windows... so for CS4 and CS5 versions, probably a significant amount of resources was devoted to the transition rather than to streamlining the code as was available for the Windows versions of CS4 and CS5... this will probably even out in future iterations...

I think right now the i7 27" iMac will appeal more than the MacPro at the moment. But chances is Apple will up the gap with its much anticipate 6-core processor.

However, Since Photoshop still not optimise fully to use multicore, i7 will do just fine for now.

For the similar specs, I will be paying about $1500-$2000 more with the screen added. Of course the drawback is the luminance on the iMac is always higher than the desired value for printing.

I would put my money with i7 iMac soon when I get back from China.

Thanks for all that offer their view...

Regards,

Hart

a mac pro will offer you expansion capabilities in terms of

- dual multi-core processors
    - ram (max 32gb)
    - hdd (4 sata bays)
    - high performance video cards
    - additional slots for other cards
    - dual gigabit ethernet ports

if you need all this then the mac pro is for you.

thanks for your input...

I think the listed things that you mentioned doesn't really entice me so much... technology improve in such a rapid rates...

Thing is, my main usage is Photoshop only, so dual multicore doesn't give me much and 16GB ram is plenty for photoshop usage, I thought 4GB was just enough on my machine.

Thank you and I will close the thread now as I have made up my mind.

Regards,

Hart