Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 143

Thread: About Tianya Filter

  1. #61
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    GND, photoshop... all do not matter. What matters is the final picture and what is presented to the viewer.

    In the film days, people do a lot of manipulation in the darkroom. How different is that from photoshop today?
    Some people aim for 1 shot 1 kill
    Last edited by wootsk; 11th July 2010 at 07:18 PM.

  2. #62
    Member shark78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    if u see my tianya then u will know what i meant...

    i am not saying we should not let others know we are using gnd...
    tianya

    photoshop

    is tat right
    EM5

  3. #63

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    GND, photoshop... all do not matter. What matters is the final picture and what is presented to the viewer.

    In the film days, people do a lot of manipulation in the darkroom. How different is that from photoshop today?
    This is exactly what im trying to say. It doesn't matter what u use, seriously. What matters is the result.

  4. #64

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    yes, i have a tianya gnd.. the graduation is soft.. and it is very obvious in your pic... the whole world know u r using a gnd... i prefer the cokin hard edge... but the color cast
    i don't understand,

    soft edge filters should be harder to detect, rather than hard edge.

    and if you place the horizon line properly, no one will detect a soft edge. a hard edge gnd is more likely to be shouted out than a soft edge one.

  5. #65
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    hmm. my tianya gives me a horrible purple overcast. wont say its the best around here

  6. #66
    Member DMajor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't understand,

    soft edge filters should be harder to detect, rather than hard edge.

    and if you place the horizon line properly, no one will detect a soft edge. a hard edge gnd is more likely to be shouted out than a soft edge one.
    night86mare, since u're using a tianya, can u let me know if it shouts out?

    daredevil describes tianya as in between hard and soft, so I'd like to hear ur opinion since u think its useable.

    thanks a mil.
    Keep Shooting

  7. #67

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    well, i don't know, do my photos look like they shout out that gnd is used?







    these are tianya shots.
    Last edited by night86mare; 11th July 2010 at 11:41 PM.

  8. #68
    Member DMajor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    i cant tell where the transition point is, so i guess it should be "soft" enough.

    i'll give it a go.

    thanks.
    Keep Shooting

  9. #69
    Member Clarenze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Hey n86m, are those done with Tianya GND and B+W ND110?

  10. #70

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarenze View Post
    Hey n86m, are those done with Tianya GND and B+W ND110?
    only the first photo has both.

    the rest are just GND only.

  11. #71

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, i don't know, do my photos look like they shout out that gnd is used?







    these are tianya shots.
    i can't tell for the 1st pic, but the 2nd and 3rd i can tell .. but i must say it is not obvious... err.. bcos it is sunset... and the clouds does help...

    i use it before for some shot at mt faber.. it is not a sunrise or sunset.. and i can see the blue sky having uneven tone.. cos my tianya's soft edge is quite big... not very subtle...

  12. #72
    Member Clarenze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    only the first photo has both.

    the rest are just GND only.
    Amazing!

    You proved that it's not the equipment, but the person using the equipment!

    I guess Tianya GND isnt so bad afterall... thanks for helping me make my decisions easier.

  13. #73

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by shark78 View Post
    tianya

    photoshop

    is tat right
    tianya and cokin are cheap filters... so we can't expect too much ... so for the price, i will say they did their job...

    i will prefer cokin over tianya... at leat my tianya la..


    as for using ps ... i did try it before.. but i am not very happy with what i did... that was few months ago and i don't know much about ps... but i guess no one can say which is better... we must know which suit us more...

  14. #74

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    i can't tell for the 1st pic, but the 2nd and 3rd i can tell .. but i must say it is not obvious... err.. bcos it is sunset... and the clouds does help...

    i use it before for some shot at mt faber.. it is not a sunrise or sunset.. and i can see the blue sky having uneven tone.. cos my tianya's soft edge is quite big... not very subtle...
    sorry, can you explain why the setting being sunset helps?



    the only reason i can think of , is that you seem to be overfiltering your photos, or you are not placing the line correctly.

    tianya is best used at sunset, daytime unless you are facing a backlit situation, using a tianya will make the top half darker than the bottom half most of the time, if the light is falling on the direction you are shooting at.

    if you place the graduation at the right portion of the photo, and you use the right strength for the lighting inherent in the scene, i don't think tianya will be visible.

    i have some old shots where i didn't bother to check whether i placed the graduation properly, can easily see where it ends, because very abrupt jump in exposure, cos filter where not supposed to filter, or where supposed to filter never filter properly
    Last edited by night86mare; 12th July 2010 at 12:36 AM.

  15. #75

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sorry, can you explain why the setting being sunset helps?



    the only reason i can think of , is that you seem to be overfiltering your photos.

    tianya is best used at sunset, daytime unless backlit situation using a tianya will make the top half darker than the bottom half most of the time, if the light is falling on the direction you are shooting at.

    if you place the graduation at the right portion of the photo, and you use the right strength for the lighting inherent in the scene, i don't think tianya will be visible.

    i have some old shots where i didn't bother to check whether i placed the graduation properly, can easily see where it ends, because very abrupt jump in exposure, cos filter where not supposed to filter, or where supposed to filter never filter properly

    ya i saw the effect when it is used in the situation that u described lor... no sunset...
    the sky is quite clean... then the top part of the sky is dark blue and the bottom is lighter blue...

    for your pic, the clouds and the sun sort of distract, so it is more difficult to notice gnd is being use..

  16. #76

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    because i have checked these 3 photos quite a few times, and i have seen unfiltered versions of all the ones without gnd usage because i did bracket to gauge optimal exposure before filtering. #2's horizon line was right smack in the middle, i just pushed the graduation line to the middle of the lens, for #3, i used live view to ensure the graduation was at the right part.

    i am very puzzled as to where you perceive the filter graduation ends, because i am looking, and looking and looking at #2 and #3, and i can't imagine where you think it ends, other than the logical area where it should end, of course.

    in fact, #2 and #3 are not even good displays of soft grad usage, unless you really **** up the placement or use a hard grad, wrong placement of graduation will not cause much visible effect.

    #1 is the test of whether the graduation is obvious -

    do you see an abrupt loss of detail in the temple? if not, then it is fine.

    what you are paying for for more expensive filters is durability, build, and more variety, as well as branding. also, the neutrality, if it is really neutral. user error is not the filter's fault, and when the user error extends to the point where the user is seeing error in everyone else's shot because of the equipment used, then he/she needs a wash of cold water.

    maybe, next time i will declare that i have bought an entire arsenal of singh ray filters, then all will GOOD GOOD GOOD very nice graduation for the filters.

    hi

    anyway i am just offering my own thought.. i never try to claim to be any expert... especially in landscape.... and especially when discussing with you...

    when i view photos, i don't pay much attention... as long as the whole things gives me a pleasant impression i like it... so if u don't tell me those pics are gnd pic, i won't notice...

    so going back to your qn, i will say in pic #2, i can see the graduation near the top... the top part is darker in tone... but i think u will prove me wrong soon... but since u ask, i will answer...

  17. #77

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    so going back to your qn, i will say in pic #2, i can see the graduation near the top... the top part is darker in tone... but i think u will prove me wrong soon... but since u ask, i will answer...
    i think you are referring to this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting

    anyways, never mind. let's just leave it.

  18. #78

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think you are referring to this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting

    anyways, never mind. let's just leave it.
    should i post my lousy shot here?

  19. #79

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    should i post my shot here?
    yes, maybe we can dissect it, and we can try to find out what is going on.

  20. #80

    Default Re: About Tianya Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, maybe we can dissect it, and we can try to find out what is going on.
    ok

    here it is, my first tianya test shot...


Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •