Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Takumar with Glasses - A test of rivals

Default Re: Super Takumar with Glasses - A test of rivals

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkornos View Post
    This is the big building right outside the Shanghai train station. 火车站南广场.环龙商场

Just a word of caution, buying anything in Shanghai needs a lot of care.

Know the price, and don't show immediate interest. Come back later.
    Prefer to go with a local who is street smart.

You can find anything from P&S to large format lenses.

For good Russians lens, I recommend

www.sy916.com and their associates.

总店地址:
    上海市梅园路360号(火车站南广场.环龙商场) 上海照材婚纱城3楼3059室.

分店:鲁班路288号4楼21号.分店:天山路1111号3楼95号.
    电话:021-51810948 13162648175 QQ:806055808
    thanks..

and speaking of adapter, where can i get a relatively cheap and good m42-k-mount adapter locally?

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    This thread making me regret selling my smc tak 50mm f1.4

Anyway when i had it , i had no problems in using it on my k-7.
    Only thing is that must use the adapter which is abit troublesome ...
    Other than that IQ was fine and no problems focusing to infinity
    If you are getting back, do consider the old Super Takumar 50mm F1.4. It appears to have more character than the SMC. More intense and more 3D @F4. I wonder are the lenses of the same formula. I have both and tested using the same D60.

Takumar aside, the Sears 50mm F1.4 or the Mamiya Sekor 50mm F1.4 are about the same price. These lens are softer than the Takumar and very nice if you are shooting people. I bought mine in Hong Kong.

Recently the Tomioka 50mm F1.4 is getting more and more expensive in the M42 world. The Rikenon or Cosina 50mm F1.4 are considered same as the Tomioka. They fetch anything from US$250 to above. Its getting crazy.

I still stick to the trusty Super Takumar.
    MF Film user. Nikon D800 works too.

Hi evolutioner

Why not get back the original Pentax M42 adapter?
    I am getting the k-x and may need to buy a few too.

Alex photo sells some. Give Alex a call. I am sure it is cheaper than the ones for Nikon @ $60.

Hi evolutioner

Why not get back the original Pentax M42 adapter?
    I am getting the k-x and may need to buy a few too.

Alex photo sells some. Give Alex a call. I am sure it is cheaper than the ones for Nikon @ $60.
    er... where is alex photo and where can i get his number?

I stopped buying Nikon DSLR and would give them a miss because of the need to buy new D lenses at cut throat prices.
    I am the same as you, (please don't flame me too ) and I am looking at the Pentax DSLR....
    I hope the Pentax gurus here can help us build a M42 Pentax system. I am looking at the K-x now.
    Interesting to read fellow CS who share the same sentiments in hobbies! As years go by, I tend to shun consumerism and lean more towards the underdog.
    Though I'm eyeing the K7 and have been looking at its adaptability in taking m42 lenses, I begin to realise I need to relearn the Pentax lingo... DA, FA, Limited, SMC etc.
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    er... where is alex photo and where can i get his number?
    His shop is one shops beside Cathay Photo in peninsular plaza.

TEL:63340998
    HP:98235579

But ebay still the cheapest at around $10 ,but must make sure is the one that allows infinity focus.
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    His shop is one shops beside Cathay Photo in peninsular plaza.

TEL:63340998
    HP:98235579

But ebay still the cheapest at around $10 ,but must make sure is the one that allows infinity focus.
    i thought inifinity focus problem only occurs on nikon cameras?

i thought inifinity focus problem only occurs on nikon cameras?
    Some of the m42-k-mount adapters have a metal flange which make the lens about 1mm further than it is supposed to be causing inability to focus to infinity ...
    There was a thread about this somtimes ago.

Anyway the one that alex photo carry able focus to infinity , but if you can wait i still reccomend buying from ebay for about $10 instead of $40 ++
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

yea.. i saw the price at 10bucks on ebay..
    will order tomorrow, but the thing is, will it have the typical problems of other cheap adapters?
    i'm quite scared..

and speaking of radioactive..
    my industar should be radioactive as it contains Lanthanum.. hahahaa

Thanks for the input

I was using a simple auto flash. This was different from the TTL facilities on the Nikon.
    As mentioned I did use A4 white paper and bounce card to control the power somewhat.

At F1.4, perhaps due to the internal reflection from the surface of the sensor, the image becomes very funky, dream like. If controlled properly can shoot some really nice flower.

I like to find out from folks who use k-m, k-x or K7. What are your results using M42/original M42 mount from Pentax? Do you have issues shooting flash when wide open at F1.4?
    Ok. I went ahead and shot 2 tries for you.
    I am using a simple AF200T mounted direct on hot shoe set to Auto (RED) which is for larger apertures. This is no new flash and is at least 10yrs old (it works a charm though).
    Lens is a Takumar 55/1.8 set at f1.8

#1 done with setup w/o diffuser

#2 with A4 paper tapped to the front.

Hope that helps.

Nice job! I see the same flare at the top of the camera; the wording 'Pentax' was blurred.

Thanks for repeating the experiment.

I wish DSLR camera can have a on-camera light metering in manual mode. ie, allow thru the lens light metering and setting of aperture/shuttle speed.

Can the K-x or k7 allow aperture priority using M42 lens? This will be exactly what I want!

Nice job! I see the same flare at the top of the camera; the wording 'Pentax' was blurred.

Thanks for repeating the experiment.

I wish DSLR camera can have a on-camera light metering in manual mode. ie, allow thru the lens light metering and setting of aperture/shuttle speed.

Can the K-x or k7 allow aperture priority using M42 lens? This will be exactly what I want!
    The flare can only be controlled if you have a very large diffusion or large light source (eg. bounce). A bounced flash or off camera flash though a shoot thru or large piece of baking paper or white fabric would be better to control the specular highlights.

With a Pentax DSLR, you will be getting the best experience for manual lenses (esp. for the price you pay for the camera). Metering with manual lenses is just a press of the 'green' button. If you are using M42 mount lenses, Av mode works, but you may need to add in some exposure compensation.

Other brands are viable options, but the downsides are :
    1. All lenses will not have auto aperture, even if they are more modern ones like the Pentax K, M, A series. Basically the aperture will close down as you stop down the aperture value.

2. Adapters with AF confirm chip might not work with newer camera if the firmware is significantly altered to be mismatched with the AF chip of adapter.

3. Only M42 mounts will need an adapter for Pentax lenses. The old and good K mount legacy lenses will work well and w/o an adapter. Another brand will always need an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The flare can only be controlled if you have a very large diffusion or large light source (eg. bounce). A bounced flash or off camera flash though a shoot thru or large piece of baking paper or white fabric would be better to control the specular highlights.

With a Pentax DSLR, you will be getting the best experience for manual lenses (esp. for the price you pay for the camera). Metering with manual lenses is just a press of the 'green' button. If you are using M42 mount lenses, Av mode works, but you may need to add in some exposure compensation.

Other brands are viable options, but the downsides are :
    1. All lenses will not have auto aperture, even if they are more modern ones like the Pentax K, M, A series. Basically the aperture will close down as you stop down the aperture value.

2. Adapters with AF confirm chip might not work with newer camera if the firmware is significantly altered to be mismatched with the AF chip of adapter.

3. Only M42 mounts will need an adapter for Pentax lenses. The old and good K mount legacy lenses will work well and w/o an adapter. Another brand will always need an adapter.
    Thanks for the information. Getting the k-x now and let me re-learn the Pentax route. I do have a number of Pentax K mount lenses (over 20 years old) since the K-1000 and ME-Super days.

Thanks for the information. Getting the k-x now and let me re-learn the Pentax route. I do have a number of Pentax K mount lenses (over 20 years old) since the K-1000 and ME-Super days.
    wow.. looking forward to see more of your shots with those good old classics u have there..

that aside, being an all new dslr, and also a pentax user, i find it surprisingly easy to pick up the techniques of using manual lenses..
    not so sure about other brands, but i figure pentax offers best experience with manual lenses..

wow.. looking forward to see more of your shots with those good old classics u have there..

that aside, being an all new dslr, and also a pentax user, i find it surprisingly easy to pick up the techniques of using manual lenses..
    not so sure about other brands, but i figure pentax offers best experience with manual lenses..
    Backward compatibility is always a concern for both new and old photographers.

New lenses actually take away all the fun of the photography .... You cannot investigate which is the best aperture of the lens etc. And very soon the photo style becomes 'standardized' ie, a dozen of people shooting more or less the same shot. Sometimes, a lot of similar tack sharp, correctly exposed pictures becomes boring. You know all these were done AF, AE, VR, etc. Not that I am anti technology, but it takes the manual part away, which is also taking away the creative part.

I enjoy taking pictures using old manual lenses. Not that my pictures are good, many are just junk. But I like what I do. Hope you share the same fun too.

cant agree with u more..
    by messing around learning MFlenses, the whole process made us more creative and at the same time,
    able to know more ways of doing the playing with the usual digital photography

Backward compatibility is always a concern for both new and old photographers.
    Actually only for photographers who continue to use old stuff.
    If you use gear which is current, backward compatibility never becomes an issue.

New lenses actually take away all the fun of the photography .... You cannot investigate which is the best aperture of the lens etc. And very soon the photo style becomes 'standardized' ie, a dozen of people shooting more or less the same shot. Sometimes, a lot of similar tack sharp, correctly exposed pictures becomes boring. You know all these were done AF, AE, VR, etc. Not that I am anti technology, but it takes the manual part away, which is also taking away the creative part.

I enjoy taking pictures using old manual lenses. Not that my pictures are good, many are just junk. But I like what I do. Hope you share the same fun too.
    Hmmm, I don't see why users of new lenses can't have any fun with their gear. Who says you can't find out what is the optimum aperture with new lenses? I'm having a blast with my AF lenses and I seriously will never go back to using legacy lenses on a regular basis not because they aren't capable of producing a sharp image but rather because I like to shoot quickly and get far, far more keepers with current AF lenses. I seriously question your assessment that one will get "standardized" photo style.

Sure there is definitely a place for shooting in Manual mode when you need to take creative control. But it is stretching the argument to say automation (AF, AE, etc) detracts from having creative control. So long as the photographer knows the variables determining exposure and know how to best use the different exposure and metering modes, he or she can use any metering mode or exposure mode to get the shot.

Sorry but whenever I hear people say that one has got to use Manual all the time, I can't help but feel that it is a silly advise imo. People had to shoot mostly in manual in the past because cameras back then barely offered any form of automation. I've met my fair share of photographers who are too entrenched to change old habits or stuck in time, or buy into the notion that one must be shooting in Manual mode most of the time to somehow raise their level of photographic competence. How many times have I heard people say it will make you more creative... humbug.

To me cameras today are multi-functional/multi-dimensional tools. Different people can use the same camera to get different results or use different features to arrive at the same result. Automation is a great timesaver and a technically competent shooter knows how to exploit the benefits fully. Nothing wrong to shoot Manual mode all the time but it's like driving a supercar to church on Sunday at 30kmh in first gear - you're just not capitalizing on its full potential or worse, you're just limiting yourself.
    Last edited by creampuff; 8th July 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Get a used EOS 40D, change the focusing screen to an Ef-S super precision matte screen, buy 2 adaptors, M42 to EOS and Nikon F to EOS and you can use all your M42 and Ai/AiS lenses. I also have an EOS body, 5D full frame, and I use it only for manual focus lenses. I have Contax Zeiss, Leica R, Pentax K & M42, Olympus Zuiko OMs, Nikons Ais, Mamiya M42, Pentcon M42, and many others. The Canon EOS body is the most versatile for old manual lenses. All adaptors are cheap and do not require additional glasses.
    Home is where the heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Actually only for photographers who continue to use old stuff.
    If you use gear which is current, backward compatibility never becomes an issue.

Hmmm, I don't see why users of new lenses can't have any fun with their gear. Who says you can't find out what is the optimum aperture with new lenses? I'm having a blast with my AF lenses and I seriously will never go back to using legacy lenses on a regular basis not because they aren't capable of producing a sharp image but rather because I like to shoot quickly and get far, far more keepers with current AF lenses. I seriously question your assessment that one will get "standardized" photo style.

Sure there is definitely a place for shooting in Manual mode when you need to take creative control. But it is stretching the argument to say automation (AF, AE, etc) detracts from having creative control. So long as the photographer knows the variables determining exposure and know how to best use the different exposure and metering modes, he or she can use any metering mode or exposure mode to get the shot.

Sorry but whenever I hear people say that one has got to use Manual all the time, I can't help but feel that it is a silly advise imo. People had to shoot mostly in manual in the past because cameras back then barely offered any form of automation. I've met my fair share of photographers who are too entrenched to change old habits or stuck in time, or buy into the notion that one must be shooting in Manual mode most of the time to somehow raise their level of photographic competence. How many times have I heard people say it will make you more creative... humbug.

To me cameras today are multi-functional/multi-dimensional tools. Different people can use the same camera to get different results or use different features to arrive at the same result. Automation is a great timesaver and a technically competent shooter knows how to exploit the benefits fully. Nothing wrong to shoot Manual mode all the time but it's like driving a supercar to church on Sunday at 30kmh in first gear - you're just not capitalizing on its full potential or worse, you're just limiting yourself.
    This is a separate discussion actually.

I have more reason to use AF, because I am old and getting older.

If start exploring MF, one will see the short coming of AF. Since the film days, camera depends on contrast and phase difference to snap on focus. This may not be the exact point of focus, but the depth of field covers for it. When depth of field becomes very shallow, MF is the way to go. Macro is one example. The human eye/brain is a very potent combo.

There are points to add, at least 7 situations when AF will surely fail big time:

1. A messy street shot.
    I always prefocus and wait for my hunted subject. If AF sure shoot the wrong focus point, or shuttle wont even release.

2. Obstacles in front of the camera. Wrong focus.

3. Buildings - especially when they are cluttered. You can pre-AF and lock, but it may run away.

4. High contrast (dragon boat racing in sunny day, hard to AF)

5. Low constrat...
    This is one area all AF system will fail

6. Background consist of more than 90% of the picture.......

7. Night shots. Try that, AF will be a night mare.
    Last edited by Nikkornos; 8th July 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast