Thread: Book Recommendation for Newbie into photography

Default Book Recommendation for Newbie into photography

Experts out here..
    Any books to recommend to start off for Newbie into photography?

Default Re: Book Recommendation for Newbie into photography

john hedgecoe, scott kelby. or drop by page one. they have many books on photography.

I suggest a search on CS for "book recommendation". This is a frequently-asked topic.
    Alpha

What camera ur using? Compact or DSLR? As for DSLR beginner I would recommend scott's kelby Book1. Quiet useful and fun reading it. Cover most wat u need to know as a photographer. As you go deeper, you may consider Book2 and 3.
    Olympus Evolt E510 14-42mm - 40-150mm Zuiko ED
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bragbig View Post
    Experts out here..
    Any books to recommend to start off for Newbie into photography?
    michael freeman's books

I borrowed from NLB Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide.
    This guy shares his experience, concept, type of lens & settings he used in various photography.
    Quite useful to expand my knowledge and knowing how to apply it in my learning.

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    michael freeman's books
    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    I borrowed from NLB Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide.
    This guy shares his experience, concept, type of lens & settings he used in various photography.
    Quite useful to expand my knowledge and knowing how to apply it in my learning.
    i understand that Bryan Peterson, Micheal Freeman and scott kelby's books are good and highly recommended for beginners. any others?? maybe after when im done with the above mentioned books, would be looking into another level??

Quote Originally Posted by xmysticalzx View Post
    i understand that Bryan Peterson, Micheal Freeman and scott kelby's books are good and highly recommended for beginners. any others?? maybe after when im done with the above mentioned books, would be looking into another level??
    After you are done with these books I guess 1 year at least has gone. Within this year you might have come across other books, recommended by people you met in the meantime. And if you decided to go into a special area of photography then there are other books again. Have a look at your library, it's free.
    EOS

the next level? I reached already then let you know...

Thanks guys , for all the recommedations.
    Cheers !

I suggest u go to NLB and borrow 4-6 books each time. I did this for about 3 months now and there is a wealth of (free) knowledge. Read, shoot, read again. Start of with general photography first. After that explore different areas of it.. Like flash photog, portraiture, travel. Then go back to basics. Then to and fro! Don't forget to pick up some books on post-processing!

U can get scott's book (managed to find vol 3) in NLB. Personally find it to superficial, but that's just me. It's a one-learning-point style so could be the fastest for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    I suggest u go to NLB and borrow 4-6 books each time. I did this for about 3 months now and there is a wealth of (free) knowledge. Read, shoot, read again. Start of with general photography first. After that explore different areas of it.. Like flash photog, portraiture, travel. Then go back to basics. Then to and fro! Don't forget to pick up some books on post-processing!

U can get scott's book (managed to find vol 3) in NLB. Personally find it to superficial, but that's just me. It's a one-learning-point style so could be the fastest for newbies
    Yes, I agree that NLB is your first place to go and check out books to your liking. If you really really really want to buy and keep for reference, Scott Kelby's books (3 volumes) available readily in Popular or TagoTech will be a very good one. Harris Bookstore in Great World City has good magazines too - one of them is a reference of sort at only $10.50 for starters. If you are in Malaysia, go to a good MPH store, and you can get Digital SLR photography magazine at only RM10 (very good one, with many many sharing of examples by various photographers).
    __________________________________________________ _
    http://living-a-good-life.blogspot.com

I managed to glance through the Scott Kelby's book which I thought was pretty well written. It explains the basic usage of camera and basic to advance technique such as HDR.

A rather comprehensive book for beginner, I'd say. Having been to quite a few bookshops, I could tell you Kinokuniya's range is vast. (And, PageOne in VivoCity too).
    Last edited by ArcticFox; 7th July 2010 at 02:45 PM.

hmm... u can do what i am doing.. constantly go to lib and borrow whatever photography bks that u like and keep reading...

then re read again... write down notes.. etc..

read , shoot, read , shoot... and rem to learn PP too... and color management...

I learned a lot from Scott Kelby's bookset, it's informative and easy to understand

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    I learned a lot from Scott Kelby's bookset, it's informative and easy to understand
    yup. 2nd to that.

scott kelby books also works for me...recommended. after that maybe a book on how to compose picture...The Photographer’s Eye by Michael freeman is recommended

When I'm free and really got no prog + no strength to go shoot...I enjoy staying in NLB for a couple of hours reading the books there...can grab like 3-5 books for different topic to read on...quite enjoyable...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

If you rather own your own books, like me, I frequent Riceball Photography books @ Funan, Orchard Central, and Parkway Parade.

They only stock photography-related books.

HTH.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!