Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Appalling attitude of a Professional Photographer at NUS Commencement 2010.

Default Re: Appalling attitude of a Professional Photographer at NUS Commencement 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    I suppose..there will be genuine good guys and those who arnt...we can't judge doesn't mean we can't tell them apart. Not everyone knows what constructive criticism is.

That part true though...time to let it go
    Actually, the point of the thread originally was to just share my experience, I think I stated it down somewhere? If not, then sorry, its my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Ok, why don't you next time take a cold shower first, drink a can of ice cold beer, slowly write the whole story down, than read it again before you post, see got any thing missing out or not.
    Yep sorry, thats my fault, I tend to be a bit kan cheong when I am writing. But you guys reply too fast! hah just kidding. I'll do that next time =) thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u are having a flash gun while he dun doesn't means he is not correct.

Do you know what without a flash gun i can still shoot in low light using a wide aperture lens (bump up ISO) but of cos with a flash gun will have better photos.

I dun know what is the condition that time when this happen btw u and that pro but he may thinks that there is no need to use a flash gun at that point of time and hence did not use one.
    I understand what you mean. I have my 50mm 1.4 and I use that and my 16-80mm very regularly..
    Also, having a flash gun doesnt naturally guarantee a better photo.

True, it is hard to debate when you guys have no idea how the condition was at that time. But from my own experience, in that kind of mid day 12pm sun with little to no cloud cover, a flash would definitely help. I know a professional photographer who relies on natural light almost all the time unless necessary, but I dont think this guy did. He was shooting from low angle (he was below a flight of stairs) so everyone's heads was tilted down and with the mid day sun, I'm sure u can imagine what might happen. You don't need to be a pro to imagine, isnt it?

I seen alot of kiddies, buy ex equipments and put on a flash gun walk down orchard road without using the cam at all but simply just to pose and show off to his peers and act pro. So does that means they know how to use a flash gun properly? Yes? No? For all you know, the pro might be just reminding you that your usage is not correct.
    I've seen my fair share of such people, but I don't know how to convince you nor do I see the need to convince you.
    Bottomline,

Have or dun have equipment but are you correctly using it to get the photos you are? <- This is the question and this could be why the pro is whispering to you about.
    again, he did not whisper. and I did get the effect I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by lenrek View Post
    Does your friends like your pictures? If they like it, then OK already la.

As for such people, they always exist. Just ignore them lo.
    yep they did, and I was happy I took that and was able to give them for free.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    chill. what his intentions for telling u that, we will never know. just let it slide if u think he is being a pr*ck. nothing to get worked up over. i get people advising me everytime and i am glad they do regardless what they say.

and i don't think it matters what camera he is using. i met a sony a900 user during an event coverage who thought he was the only person covering it and was blocking everyone's shot. he will still be an a$$ if he uses a canon. the idiot is behind the camera.
    actually im over the incident. I'm just amused at some of the reactions here.

Ha I think I saw that thread recently about some sony user blocking everyone at some cosplay event.
    it was quite an lol thread.

but I did meet a few people who think that if you are not using a nikon or canon, your camera isn't good. And some of the "famous" shops in Singapore were advocating that when I went camera shopping with a friend recently. Makes me wonder about the master photographers using non-canikon systems...
    Capture your memories, for they are not forever.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Appalling attitude of a Professional Photographer at NUS Commencement 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    since he talk to you in private, shows that he's giving you advice without making you look mar-lu.

advice already given, you want to learn, that's good,
    don't want to learn, that's fine.
    and i agree with this. once i was shooting on film, iso 800. i remember that fellow was from alan photography.he happened to be hired by sch to shoot for event. i was there shooting as cca though. he dragged me one corner and asked wad film speed, guided me on how to use flash and what kind of iso i shld expects. yes he was on a 5dmk1, 580exii flash and i suspect we are talking abt same person. if so, i would share with u that it was nice to know ppl actually take time to pay attention abt what we do and give advice

relax a bit k?
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 6th July 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and i agree with this. once i was shooting on film, iso 800. i remember that fellow was from alan photography. he dragged me one corner and asked wad film speed, guided me on how to use flash and what kind of iso i shld expects. yes he was on a 5dmk1, 580exii flash and i suspect we are talking abt same person. if so, i would share with u that it was nice to know ppl actually take time to pay attention abt what we do and give advice

relax a bit k?
    Err... If you read the subsequence post from TS, what you said did not happen le.

think mod should lock this thread, serves no purpose and only one sided story.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    think mod should lock this thread, serves no purpose and only one sided story.
    yeah i agree.

Since TS's EGO may have been flatten and resort to come to this forum to get his EGO back.

What actually happens nobody knows, so i wun rule out a twist in what actually happens.

Support to lock thread.

now, imagine the photographer walk from 5 meter out and came back say what TS mention??

TS mention many are holding DSLRs in that event, PnS also have..... so the photographer must be damn busy shooting ppl off with sure dark face, flash too weak etc......
    Hmm. I think i get what you mean...do u mean the photog probably heard what TS said that's why he approached him and said those things? Possibly...but in the end we do not know what were the actual circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimevous View Post
    It wasn't as if I elbowed him out.. He had already left and walked at least 5m away when I called out to my friends again for a few more shots.

And I wasn't graduating today, so today I was just there to say hi to my friends and help them take some shots.

I seriously dont see how is "your flash is too weak, your shots will be too dark" from someone who didn't even use a flash is helpful. And for the record, my shot was nicely exposed, imo.
    So if "your flash is too weak, your shots will be too dark" has no impact on your shots, then what is the problem here? Just enjoy your photos with your friends and move on.

Like what you mentioned, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Why bother with what has been said to you. If you think your shots are good enough, it is good enough. If you need to be so sensitive with what everyone says to you, then there are alot of people you need to reason with.

I think dSLR/SLR have become quite common nowadays. Everyone thinks they are good enough to take photos. I do too. But I will still take comments from others. If they help me in anyway, i will accept. If I think it is something I already know, no big deal.

Why don't you post your photos in the critique section and see what the critics have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    aimevous...did he said that with a condescending tone?
    actually that was the point from the first post. yep he did.
    The point I wanted to put across simply was that, no matter how good you are, when you are dispensing advice or criticism, you do not do it in a condescending manner.

I still dont see how criticising that I have a weak flash is a helpful advice. Its like I drove beside your car and tell you your car engine is weak.

This shows how narrow minded you are.

Like i mention, who are you to him? Hes paid to do his job and he is not obliged to tell u anything even he saw a fault. And how would you threaten his rice bowl?

And WTF, you probably felt loss of face in front of your friends to be told or whispered by this pro.

To think this way shows how narrow minded you are to come to this conclusion as above.

-Period-

outta this mummy's boy rant thread.
    You are starting to become ridiculous. i said "I can definitely affect it A BIT". Please look up the definition of A BIT. multiply the cost of a photo sold at such events by 10+. It is definitely A BIT, (not even close to SUBSTANTIAL). Brush up your english please.

Are you blind or are you blind? I mentioned at least 4 times he did not whisper.

Is he telling ppl that his biz is affected by your shooting? Its your assumption.
    Please refer to my earlier explanation on A BIT.

Your EGO is probably flatten because he 'told you off' in front of your friends.

So as a pro photographer, he should leave you alone and do his photo shoot job right?

ok i had enough. Outta this thread.
    Frankly, I mentioned I was amused. Please look up "amused" at dictionary.com if you are unsure what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur View Post
    Typical CS herd mentality.

I get his point, and he was just talking about bad service attitude, or snobbish behavior.

I don't see why so many people have to gang up on the TS, calling it a "mummy's boy" rant, and saying that someone was just giving advice.

Were you there at the scene? Did you see what happened? Take everything with a grain of salt please, even if you agree or not, I don't see the need for a TS-bashing session.

Maybe if you were in the shoes of the TS, you might have been peeved too when someone treated you unfairly.

And truth to be told, what is truly appalling is the behavior of the members here who have resorted to name-calling and utter lack of etiquette in their replies. You hiding behind a computer doesn't mean you have the right to act as if you were of superior statuses.
    Thanks a lot. It helps against pricks here =)
    now, imagine the photographer walk from 5 meter out and came back say what TS mention??

TS mention many are holding DSLRs in that event, PnS also have..... so the photographer must be damn busy shooting ppl off with sure dark face, flash too weak etc......
    Your argument is childish, seriously...
    Capture your memories, for they are not forever.

I get his point, and he was just talking about bad service attitude, or snobbish behavior.

I don't see why so many people have to gang up on the TS, calling it a "mummy's boy" rant, and saying that someone was just giving advice.

Were you there at the scene? Did you see what happened? Take everything with a grain of salt please, even if you agree or not, I don't see the need for a TS-bashing session.

Maybe if you were in the shoes of the TS, you might have been peeved too when someone treated you unfairly.

And truth to be told, what is truly appalling is the behavior of the members here who have resorted to name-calling and utter lack of etiquette in their replies. You hiding behind a computer doesn't mean you have the right to act as if you were of superior statuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    I second that.
    2nd it also
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lenrek View Post
    Err... If you read the subsequence post from TS, what you said did not happen le.
    kns how u guys post so fast? i took like 5 mins trying to phrase that thing, post it up, and JUST TO REALSIE TS SWAPPED HSI WORDS?!

word of the day:

Harmony
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

I dunno about the tone the guy was using, but from the content you mentioned, he wasn't being very hostile.

Blog Entries

perhaps. but shift ur pov a lil. the way ts has swapped his words makes his credibility much lower than what i would normally expect. first it was that professional took him one side whispered. then it became a loud statement. and then it was so loud even 2 friends could hear.

i'm not taking any stance. i see no reason why that pro photog will wanan risk his job trying to sabo a non professional just for fun. perhaps u needed a flash, perhaps not.

but still i quote from ts.
    There was at least 10 people in my group and they aren't buying from him after they saw my shots.

Frankly I wont call myself amateur, but neither will I call myself a photographer because I dont find myself having the quality of the really good photographers. Personally I find the term "Photographer" overused and diluted. Hence I refuse to label myself one until I personally find myself having achieve a certain standard. I have done some freelance work of my own and I do have some happy clients.
    if he was so confident, pls upload some shots, so that we can figure out the conditions at that moment, and see if the comments he made were justified. fair enough?

Ok, everyone knows whats going on. TS too says he got the drift. Closing thread.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123