Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Flash for D90

Default Re: External Flash for D90

SB900 would be best if budget is not a concern... not to forgot, do get a diffuser too when u buy ur flash... prevent the flash from being too harsh

anyway, i also like to take this chance and ask some question... when i use d90 with sb600.. i need to "open" my in-camera pop up flash in order to command my sb600 to "flash" when its off the shoe...
    do sb900 need to "open" the in-camera pop up flash in order to flash off the shoe?
    ztphotography
    Nikon D90 | Nikon D600 | Canon ixus 120IS

Quote Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
    SB900 would be best if budget is not a concern... not to forgot, do get a diffuser too when u buy ur flash... prevent the flash from being too harsh

anyway, i also like to take this chance and ask some question... when i use d90 with sb600.. i need to "open" my in-camera pop up flash in order to command my sb600 to "flash" when its off the shoe...
    do sb900 need to "open" the in-camera pop up flash in order to flash off the shoe?
    works the same, its to tell the camera to trigger the remote flash.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

thanks everyone for the contributions.

I may buy the SB600 for size and cost reasons.

If i put my D90 to manual mode for etc, with speed and aperture adjusted to the correct exposure shown in my camera, with the flash (sb600) render the picture too bright? or will there be adjustments done to my settings to my camera, done after my flash is turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    thanks everyone for the contributions.

I may buy the SB600 for size and cost reasons.

If i put my D90 to manual mode for etc, with speed and aperture adjusted to the correct exposure shown in my camera, with the flash (sb600) render the picture too bright? or will there be adjustments done to my settings to my camera, done after my flash is turned on?
    if your picture is slightly underexposed, the sb600 will auto compensate it to make it well expossed. it wont make it overexposed uless you want it to in manual mode for the flash instead of TTL.

TTL stands for through the lens. read up more on it .. sb600 is a good choice. despite not having a master mode, it's still a really powerful flash. it's been with me for the last 3years, shooting weddings and events without fail. went through rain, scratched.. and only once did it went to NSC due to a very.. very .. very.. bad fall. once you have the sb600.. a new poison shall start taking over your body..

flash photography and off shoe flash shots. poison you to take pics wirelessly with effects

ps to answer your qn if you still dun understand : no it wont. your settings in manual will remain the same just that the flash will fire off the required amount to compensate it accordingly
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    if your picture is slightly underexposed, the sb600 will auto compensate it to make it well expossed. it wont make it overexposed uless you want it to in manual mode for the flash instead of TTL.

TTL stands for through the lens. read up more on it .. sb600 is a good choice. despite not having a master mode, it's still a really powerful flash. it's been with me for the last 3years, shooting weddings and events without fail. went through rain, scratched.. and only once did it went to NSC due to a very.. very .. very.. bad fall. once you have the sb600.. a new poison shall start taking over your body..

flash photography and off shoe flash shots. poison you to take pics wirelessly with effects

ps to answer your qn if you still dun understand : no it wont. your settings in manual will remain the same just that the flash will fire off the required amount to compensate it accordingly

Thanks Dude!

One more question. I can fire off the Sb600 as the only flash off the camera right? can be done wirelessly, or do i need a cable? I reading the sb600 manual (downloaded), and it mentioned a cable.

Thanks Dude!

One more question. I can fire off the Sb600 as the only flash off the camera right? can be done wirelessly, or do i need a cable? I reading the sb600 manual (downloaded), and it mentioned a cable.
    you dont need it. you can choost to use tb sc-29/28 cable or you can buy wireless trigger( redundant) or you can just go to your nikon d90 settings go to the flash settings in Menu>e)Bracketing/flash > Flash cntrl for built-inflash and set your built in flash to Commander mode.

next press your zoom and - button on your flash and browse through to the CLS mode. read your manual to understand it .

find a subject.. compose.. shoot ! normally i use a lighstand or ask smeone help me hold or left hand flash , right hand camera then shoot.

you can manually set the flash to be in TTL or manual mode for off camera. when you buy the sb600, there will be 2books read both or you can google : how to use sb600 in CLS with d90

if you're free and stay nearby i can meet up for coffee and show you how it works :P
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

you dont need it. you can choost to use tb sc-29/28 cable or you can buy wireless trigger( redundant) or you can just go to your nikon d90 settings go to the flash settings in Menu>e)Bracketing/flash > Flash cntrl for built-inflash and set your built in flash to Commander mode.

next press your zoom and - button on your flash and browse through to the CLS mode. read your manual to understand it .

find a subject.. compose.. shoot ! normally i use a lighstand or ask smeone help me hold or left hand flash , right hand camera then shoot.

you can manually set the flash to be in TTL or manual mode for off camera. when you buy the sb600, there will be 2books read both or you can google : how to use sb600 in CLS with d90

if you're free and stay nearby i can meet up for coffee and show you how it works :P
    just to clarify a little. If you buy wireless trigger other than the PW ttl enabled triggers, you can only control your sb600 manually. That means you will need to set your own power, figure out your aperture settings, your shutter speed, how to cut off your ambient light, etc..in short, you lose your cls capability. Good or bad, haa thats debatable...guess this itself will form a new topic..cheers

Got my SB600 yesterday

So i just set my on board flash to commander mode, turn on my sb600, put it near my camera, and when i take a pic, the flash will fire automatically? do i need to sync or pair up my flash and d90?

also, in that mode, does it mean the on board flash will always fire simultaneously, or can i choose to fire only the external flash?

sorry , so many questions. first time using external flash.

Jimmy

Got my SB600 yesterday

So i just set my on board flash to commander mode, turn on my sb600, put it near my camera, and when i take a pic, the flash will fire automatically? do i need to sync or pair up my flash and d90?

also, in that mode, does it mean the on board flash will always fire simultaneously, or can i choose to fire only the external flash?

sorry , so many questions. first time using external flash.

Jimmy
    read up your manual, just set the flash to remote and channel setting to be the same used on the D90.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    read up your manual, just set the flash to remote and channel setting to be the same used on the D90.
    Hi, i have set it up on channel 3. the 2 flash fire together.

is it possible to fire on external flash, not the on board flash?
    Nikon D90

Blog Entries

Hi, i have set it up on channel 3. the 2 flash fire together.

is it possible to fire on external flash, not the on board flash?
    Then set your on-board flash to off in your commander menu in D90.

Do read both your D90 and SB600 manuals on CLS flash commander. The info is all there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12