Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: External Flash for D90

  1. #1

    Default External Flash for D90

    Hi,

    I plan to take some beautiful shots for my son's birthday party, and thought i will probably need an external flash to get the best effect.

    Any recommendations on the Brand and Model (budget aside).

    I am looking at something reliable, easy to use, and have all the required features for long term use.

    I am using Nikon D90

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    Hi,

    I plan to take some beautiful shots for my son's birthday party, and thought i will probably need an external flash to get the best effect.

    Any recommendations on the Brand and Model (budget aside).

    I am looking at something reliable, easy to use, and have all the required features for long term use.

    I am using Nikon D90
    SB600,SB800 or SB900...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    Hi,

    I plan to take some beautiful shots for my son's birthday party, and thought i will probably need an external flash to get the best effect.

    Any recommendations on the Brand and Model (budget aside).

    I am looking at something reliable, easy to use, and have all the required features for long term use.

    I am using Nikon D90
    SB900 is Nikon top of the range for flash at the moment, think it will last u a long time, budget aside and if u can make do with the weight.. else SB600 at almost 1/2 the price of SB900 minus the power/functions/master capabilities etc..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  4. #4

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    thanks....but i need something not too big.

    sorry for my ignorance, but are these flash units removable from the hotshoe and can triggered out out of the camera?

    i read about Nissin somewhere in this forum. Are those good enough? I am a novice, so unlikely to know how to use some advanced features. Still, i dont want to buy something, and realised i could have pay a little more for another model months down the road.

    thanks for your advice.

    btw, what are master capabilities for?

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    thanks....but i need something not too big.

    sorry for my ignorance, but are these flash units removable from the hotshoe and can triggered out out of the camera?

    i read about Nissin somewhere in this forum. Are those good enough? I am a novice, so unlikely to know how to use some advanced features. Still, i dont want to buy something, and realised i could have pay a little more for another model months down the road.

    thanks for your advice.

    btw, what are master capabilities for?
    you wanna trigger the flash off-camera, and yet you say you won't use the advanced functions....? errrr.... wireless flash is considered one of the advanced functions

    D90's built-in flash has commander mode. It has i-TTL capability with Nikon Speedlights SB600, SB800, SB900, and Nissin Di866 (or so I've heard). Probably there are other 3rd party flashes that are i-TTL capable, but I'm not up to date.
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    thanks....but i need something not too big.

    sorry for my ignorance, but are these flash units removable from the hotshoe and can triggered out out of the camera?

    i read about Nissin somewhere in this forum. Are those good enough? I am a novice, so unlikely to know how to use some advanced features. Still, i dont want to buy something, and realised i could have pay a little more for another model months down the road.

    thanks for your advice.

    btw, what are master capabilities for?
    SB800 and SB900, put on-camera, can trigger other SB600/800/900 wirelessly as a group.
    That's 'master' capability.
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    thanks....but i need something not too big.

    sorry for my ignorance, but are these flash units removable from the hotshoe and can triggered out out of the camera?

    i read about Nissin somewhere in this forum. Are those good enough? I am a novice, so unlikely to know how to use some advanced features. Still, i dont want to buy something, and realised i could have pay a little more for another model months down the road.

    thanks for your advice.

    btw, what are master capabilities for?
    I would go with Nikon brand, it would be a shorter learning curve for you and not have to worry about fully compatible and having all the features supported etc...

  8. #8

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    go str8 for SB-900 no nid upgrade for long time.

    comes with softcover, flip charts, diffusers. lcd screen.

  9. #9

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    if you know sb600, sb800 and sb900 are too big, you have obviously done some research. why don't you be more specific and ask about nissin instead of putting people on wild goose chase.

  10. #10

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    actually tried macro and realize that the low profile built in flash will cast a shadow when used with telephoto and raynox.

    so it make sense for a taller flash tat is not obscured by the extended lenght of the lens.

    .

  11. #11

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    thanks

  12. #12

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    i see....thanks for the input

  13. #13

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    if you know sb600, sb800 and sb900 are too big, you have obviously done some research. why don't you be more specific and ask about nissin instead of putting people on wild goose chase.
    i only read about the nissin after i post my question.

    I appreciate all help from the other contributors. i notice instead of offering advice, you are only interested in criticising. really not appreciated.

  14. #14

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    i only read about the nissin after i post my question.

    I appreciate all help from the other contributors. i notice instead of offering advice, you are only interested in criticising. really not appreciated.
    if you have googled "external flash D90' you would have gotten your answer.

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    i only read about the nissin after i post my question.

    I appreciate all help from the other contributors. i notice instead of offering advice, you are only interested in criticising. really not appreciated.
    Your only choice for CLS wireless flashes are:

    SB600
    SB800
    SB900
    Nissin Di866

    The nissin is currently retailing for around 400, which is more ex than SB600.

    If you want smaller than SB600, you can get the SB400, but that can only bounce up in landscape orientation. and it does not have wireless CLS compatibility.

    Easy decision for you, because you only need to consider among 5 models. If you only want to buy new, you only have 4 models to consider. If you even want to do wireless CLS, you only have 3 models to consider. And among the 3 models, you only need to consider about pricing.

    Also, if you do more searches on the Nissin, you will know there are some problems sometimes. So for complete compatibility and hassle free operation, you only 2 models to consider. So it comes down to SB600 and SB900. Now, it really comes down to your budget and how powerful you want your flash to be. To take pics of family setting, a SB600 will suffice. I even shot a wedding with SB600 and found it sufficient.

  16. #16
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Your only choice for CLS wireless flashes are:

    SB600
    SB800
    SB900
    Nissin Di866
    Add Metz AF-58N1 to the list above.

  17. #17

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    thanks...its normally used for family portraits etc..

    i will check out the prices for sb600 and sb900, and decide which is more appropraite.

    other than power, any usable differenced between sb600 vs sb900? thanks dude

  18. #18
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    thanks...its normally used for family portraits etc..

    i will check out the prices for sb600 and sb900, and decide which is more appropraite.

    other than power, any usable differenced between sb600 vs sb900? thanks dude





    read below.
    SB800/900 can be master flash for CLS.
    SB600 cannot.


    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    SB800 and SB900, put on-camera, can trigger other SB600/800/900 wirelessly as a group.
    That's 'master' capability.
    Exploring! :)

  19. #19
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee1974 View Post
    thanks...its normally used for family portraits etc..

    i will check out the prices for sb600 and sb900, and decide which is more appropraite.

    other than power, any usable differenced between sb600 vs sb900? thanks dude
    Difference is in the throw distance (power=GN) and SB900 can act as Master Flash whereas SB600 can only be a Slave in a group CLS.

  20. #20
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: External Flash for D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post


    read below.
    SB800/900 can be master flash for CLS.
    SB600 cannot.
    not to mention the pretty and very user friendly LCD interface menu on the back. the gap in the price is covered by many technological features which i feel is fully justified.

    i struggled a bit when choosing my sb900 and sb600 on my D90, i got the sb900 and never look back. like many said, you probably wont never need to buy any other flash again until it failed.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •