Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dispelling the Negative

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    Reminds me of "Four legs good, two legs bad."...
    "Four legs good" - more of an overkill...
    "Two legs bad" - agree... poor support.

Three legs (ahem... read tripod) enough already lah! Very stable one!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefen
    so the story is?

a monkey wants to take photos, but sees all the cows and pigs comparing their equipment. The monkey wants to join in the discussion, but the cows and pigs just talk about their equipment, and don't bother looking at a hot and sassy female money walking past in the best fringe lighting conditions the monkey has seen.

the monkey took out his lowly Nikon F60 and aimed at the female monkey on his fours, but realise that the angle wasn't flattering. He then got up, stood on his hind limbs and using his tail as a third leg, he took a picture of the female monkey at an auto setting.

the cows and pigs were still discussing whose udders were bigger, and the monkey won the shot of the day eventhough he has no udders.
    And the moral of the story is: "The cows only interested in the bulls and the pigs only interested in female pigs."

But you can try to pass a law in the farm to ban all discussions of photo equipments though. The discussions will just go underground and the animals probably will plot a revolution to throw the monkey out of the Presidency.

Eventually the cows and the pigs are winners because of "animal power".

Three cheers to "Animocracy" and down with the anti-equipment talks dictator!

I think its ok to talk about equipment. Face it, we are material people and cameras now have alot of material in them to talk about and keep us busy. Some ppl like to take pictures and other ppl are fascinated with technology. Most (almost all ?)the people in this forum arent professional photographers but people for whom a camera is just another electronic gadget.
    Last edited by reno77; 29th April 2004 at 11:25 PM.

I'd like to quote a tale I read in the Reader's Digest a while back.

A friend and his wife visited a photographer at his home. He had a coffee table book he put together of the photographs he had taken. Whilst flipping through the book, the friend's wife commented, "You must have a really good and expensive camera." He smiled and said a few words of modesty.

A month later, he was invited over to his friend's place for dinner. After finishing the sumptuous dinner, the man said to the friend's wife, "My you must have very good and expensive cooking utencils."

No, no. Negatives are dead. Digital rulez!

Quote Originally Posted by lyrrad

A friend and his wife visited a photographer at his home. He had a coffee table book he put together of the photographs he had taken. Whilst flipping through the book, the friend's wife commented, "You must have a really good and expensive camera." He smiled and said a few words of modesty.

A month later, he was invited over to his friend's place for dinner. After finishing the sumptuous dinner, the man said to the friend's wife, "My you must have very good and expensive cooking utencils."
    The fact that the photographer got offended goes to show how shallow he was. If he didn't care about equipment, he would not have retaliated with his utensil comments. Childish, in my opinion.

yea. childish -> abt the "mine is better then your bcos i own it".
    i mean.. @@
    Last edited by whoelse; 30th April 2004 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Good grief, I can't believe it got this far down in page two before some one came up with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    The fact that the photographer got offended goes to show how shallow he was. If he didn't care about equipment, he would not have retaliated with his utensil comments. Childish, in my opinion.
    That's one of those urban tales that is doing the rounds. And clearly you haven't heard it before or at least haven't understood it, because that's not at all about the photographer taking offence, or being petty and retaliating, but of educating the woman.

In fact, there is absolutely nothing in that quote that suggests that the photographer was equipment obsessed at all.

Read the story again. It's not about being childish.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrrad

this story..
    has a ambiguous intepretation. its either:

#1. photog gets upset and retaliates with utensils remark

OR

#2. photog wasnt actually upset but uses utensils remark to educate the man n his wife on his(photog's) own view that equipment is not top priority.

so..

why is it most people tend to intepret in #2 rather than #1?? to me..really, either way is equally possible lehz

actually noone will care what u use except yrself.

u think ppl who ask what car u driving cares abt wat you drive? he probably either drive an expensive car or just got a new car and wanna tell u abt his. humans are flawed in someway that most like to see others fail than successful. @@

if one is jobless or fail his exam. will most likely keep quiet then going around asking what u do for living? yr exam, cameras, gears, yr pda, yr handphones all the same. noone else will care except trying to tell you his.

To me the story is about how one's talent or 'skills' has no relation to the type of equipment one uses. And the best stories in my opinion offer more discourse then an Aesop fable which tells one exactly what to do. It is up to one how you would like to intepret the tale and what you would like to take from it.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Wah... fighting talk sia!

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    this story..

OR

#2. photog wasnt actually upset but uses utensils remark to educate the man n his wife on his(photog's) own view that equipment is not top priority.

so..

why is it most people tend to intepret in #2 rather than #1?? to me..really, either way is equally possible lehz
    I stick to my assertation that a normal person reading that comes up with #2. I don't think there is any indication in that story at all that the photographer is at all upset, and if such discontent is read into the story by the prospective reader then the reader is being very cynical.

You're right, #1 is certainly possible but it's not in any way suggested. I could also in theory suggest option #3:

#3 Photographer was really complimented by the comments. Photographer was also genuinely impressed by the food and genuinely complimented the cooking utensils.

Entirely possible but clearly not the intended reading.

but dun we all need some kind of equiptment for our photography needs...at the end of the day...i agree tt it is the person....cam almost there can liao rite..

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    this story..

OR

so..

How a person intepret a thing, shows how he/she would react in similar situation??
    Last edited by Aton; 30th April 2004 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    That's one of those urban tales that is doing the rounds. And clearly you haven't heard it before or at least haven't understood it, because that's not at all about the photographer taking offence, or being petty and retaliating, but of educating the woman.

In fact, there is absolutely nothing in that quote that suggests that the photographer was equipment obsessed at all.
    Assumption is the mother of a F Ups. Have you heard of it?

The pissed photographer clearly wasn't on a higher level of calmness when he hit back with the utensils remarks, which to me was childish. So I can't have my opinion now?

He clearly got pissed when people talked about his gear being the determining factor in his so called wonderful pictures, hence my deduction is that he is sensitive about gear talk and that was my point.
    Guess you never understood it either eh?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast