Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photographer makes $60,000 a day

What he said is very sobering. and it's damn true.

I also charge $80k a day just that noone is silly enuf to pay me @@
    Just kidding.

Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    The first year was the hardest for Clang and he thought of giving up. It was his wife's persistance that saw him through.
    ...as compared to the other thread of Clubsnappers bitching about their unsupportive GFs...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=72129

What?! My dad told me, less than an hour ago, that he is my cousin (表弟 )!

Quote Originally Posted by macross
    What?! My dad told me, less than an hour ago, that he is my cousin (表弟 )!

wooo
    don't you guys ever meet for new year

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    wooo
    don't you guys ever meet for new year
    No. My parents also don't recognise on first look. My aunt called my mom to inform the news.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    I was told that his real name is John Ang C L, a true blue singaporean. For marketing purposes, he call himself John Clang. Well done John!!!

well, the clients mistook his initials for Clang instead of C. L. Ang

I'm breathless.... for John CL Ang
    anyone got any link to his works?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazer
    I'm breathless.... for John CL Ang
    anyone got any link to his works?
    http://www.johnclang.com/

Read Clang's interview with PDN

What's sobering was not only his life story but this:

"In New York, you are chosen to do a job based on your visual sense, based on your style. You don't feel like you are being compromised. In New York you can rent anything on a shoot, you hire a producer, you hire an assistant, you get three or four assistants, all the equipment. . .it's all paid for by the client. On top of that, you can set your own fee. But in Singapore there's a huge overhead involved: There I had to have a studio and I had to hire three or four assistants, full time, on payroll and I had to have all the equipment myself. Over there, I had to keep working, keep taking jobs, even if I wasn't crazy about them, so I would have money to live on." - John Clang

Quote Originally Posted by juzthin
    5. Youths must take hardships

Some describe Singaporean students as "dumb"; Clang feels "lazy" is a better word. Singaporean kids are a pampered lot. With just a few tricks up their sleeves, they try to make it in the real world. Their fundamentals aren't strong and they're not moltivated to do well. They are always like this, whether in school or at work.

Many younger photographers has asked Clang for opportunities to work in America. To that, he commented that he focuses on portfolios and talent. Chances of a successful introduction to the industry aren't really high. That's mainly due to the fact that these photographers knowledge is simply to shallow, aren't familiar with artistic history nor are they strong at artistic appreciation. They only know how to bury themselves and work with magazines/books as references. They based their standards on them and thus lack understanding of themselves, their culture and lifestyle. Passion in life is the most important element.

Other than luck, one must be able to take hardship. If there's 2 paths to the same destination in life, he advises youths to take the harder one. Only then, would they be able to experience life and build up on their own fundamentals.

I'm haunted by this paragraph...

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    http://www.johnclang.com/

Read Clang's interview with PDN

What's sobering was not only his life story but this:

"In New York, you are chosen to do a job based on your visual sense, based on your style. You don't feel like you are being compromised. In New York you can rent anything on a shoot, you hire a producer, you hire an assistant, you get three or four assistants, all the equipment. . .it's all paid for by the client. On top of that, you can set your own fee. But in Singapore there's a huge overhead involved: There I had to have a studio and I had to hire three or four assistants, full time, on payroll and I had to have all the equipment myself. Over there, I had to keep working, keep taking jobs, even if I wasn't crazy about them, so I would have money to live on." - John Clang
    wah lan oi .. sad man.. but still very inspiring. Reaping the rewards of hard work and having the balls to walk the untested path. I don't know if anyone here in CS can just pack up and leave for NY just like that.. Stepping out of his comfort zone and trying to go somewhere else..

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    I'm haunted by this paragraph...
    Sniper: Just DO IT (since you already jumped off the deep end).

Thanks SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12