Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Papago M6 GPS for iPhone

Default Re: Papago M6 GPS for iPhone

As far as i know, most phones do not have dedicated GPS chip. What it does is use the surrounding telco bases to "triangulate" to get a position. Even if one switches data roaming and 3G off, the phone will still use 2G to get its position. The question then becomes - is this chargeable when u are overseas, and if it is then u could be getting a "huge" roaming bill when u return home.

Hopefully someone can come in and clarify

What I notice is that, if the iPhone shows a round blue circle, the accuracy is quite bad.. and the position is probably due to the A-GPS, using the base station's position.

But if it's a pulsating blue circle, then the position is quite accurate. I suppose this is when it got a lock from the GPS satelite.. anyone with more accurate info?

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    so... the iPhone can act as a standalone GPS device without any data connectivity switched on? have you tried in Msia?
    If turning off data connection works in Singapore, in theory, it should work in Malaysia too.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    As far as i know, most phones do not have dedicated GPS chip. What it does is use the surrounding telco bases to "triangulate" to get a position. Even if one switches data roaming and 3G off, the phone will still use 2G to get its position. The question then becomes - is this chargeable when u are overseas, and if it is then u could be getting a "huge" roaming bill when u return home.

Hopefully someone can come in and clarify
    For the 3G and 3Gs, the iPhone has in-built GPS chip. This means that it does not need a 3G/2G connection to get it's position. In fact, using 3G/2G connection means that it is using AGPS, not the real GPS. The AGPS is not so accurate, as compared to the real GPS.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

so... does the built-in GPS chip work with Maps? wth... let me go try it...
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

so... does the built-in GPS chip work with Maps? wth... let me go try it...
    Google maps should use both AGPS and GPS. But it's for sure it needs a data connection to obtain the map details from the Internet.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Google maps should use both AGPS and GPS. But it's for sure it needs a data connection to obtain the map details from the Internet.
    ok... tried already. with Cellular Data turned off, Maps is able to determine my current location but not able to perform location search.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

ok... tried already. with Cellular Data turned off, Maps is able to determine my current location but not able to perform location search.
    And probably not able to load the map too.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Papago can work stand alone with out 3G or wifi. I had tried that out in Malaysia.

To turn off data when out of Sg, go to setting, general, and set data roaming to Off. you will only be able to conect to data in Singapore so you dont need to reset this setting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12