Thread: Why do you choose Rangefinders over SLRs?

Default Why do you choose Rangefinders over SLRs?

Hello,

Newbie here. Just like to know from those who use Rangefinders, why do you choose them over SLRs?

I would love to hear personal experience and opinion from you guys, so please don't ask me to "google" as I can find tonnes of generic answers there myself.

Thanks.

Default Re: Why do you choose Rangefinders over SLRs?

u should post at the range finders section

i aiming a M9 though.

i find the colors of photos by range finders different from DSLR... if those photos i seen is straight from cam... then i simply loved the vintage old school feel of the colors. Not that vibrant colors as model lens gave.
    Last edited by sinned79; 6th July 2010 at 11:19 AM.

An analogy:

you know some people prefer to drive manual car, coz it gives them more control over gearbox? Rangefinder give you that feeling.

Rangefinder is like a manual sports car. Leica MP + fast lens = Ferrari.

After you use rangefinder, you will find DSLR very cumbersome and unnecessarily complicated. At least, that is my personal opinion and experience, which I am sharing with you coz you requested.
    Last edited by artspraken; 6th July 2010 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u should post at the range finders section

i aiming a M9 though.

i find the colors of photos by range finders different from DSLR... if those photos i seen is straight from cam... then i simply loved the vintage old school feel of the colors. Not that vibrant colors as model lens gave.
    Oh...didn't realise there is a Rangefinder section. Newbie here.

And thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by artspraken View Post
    An analogy:

you know some people prefer to drive manual car, coz it gives them more control over gearbox? Rangefinder give you that feeling.

Rangefinder is like a manual sports car. Leica MP + fast lens = Ferrari.

After you use rangefinder, you will find DSLR very cumbersome and unnecessarily complicated.
    Thanks...interesting analogy...now I can relate better.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesoftpawn View Post
    Hello,

Newbie here. Just like to know from those who use Rangefinders, why do you choose them over SLRs?

I would love to hear personal experience and opinion from you guys, so please don't ask me to "google" as I can find tonnes of generic answers there myself.

Thanks.
    I'm actually searching to get a film rangefinder (RF). The reason I'm doing it is because RF are generally quieter in operation and conspicuous. Furthermore, I believe it helps me to focus on composing pictures

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    I'm actually searching to get a film rangefinder (RF). The reason I'm doing it is because RF are generally quieter in operation and conspicuous. Furthermore, I believe it helps me to focus on composing pictures
    Thanks for your reply. Agreed. Perfect for street photography.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    or if u really wanna go back to basics, gaffe tape ur preview screen on ur dslr, and focus on composition only. then manipulate it later in pshop

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    or if u really wanna go back to basics, gaffe tape ur preview screen on ur dslr, and focus on composition only. then manipulate it later in pshop
    should be easier to turn of the review function, then gaffer tape the playback button
    LCD screen still has other uses, like the info screen to see all your settings.
    Exploring! :)