View Poll Results: Do you Read The Fine Manual?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, everytime.

34 52.31%
  • Nope, never.

1 1.54%
  • Only when I don't know how to operate the gear.

30 46.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you RTFM?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    I dun think RTFM is Read The Fine Manual...
    I think it's Read The F*beep* Manual...
    Coz when a person gets angry, he'll say that...
    That is the original definition. I think it came about during the early days of ARPANet, when the Net was used for military and academic use only.

Hmmm... more CSers should RTF(*#@!%M and FAQs and use the Search function BEFORE asking questions. Especially the newbies... particularly those who have just taken up photography as a hobby.

Dunno lah, the longer I am on CS, the more... irritated I get with some questions. Okay, we were all newbies once but, honestly, some questions are repeated to death. And some are just... well... demonstrate a total lack of effort on the newbie's part. The answers are easily available...

Of course, it doesn't help that there are so many 'experts' ready to pander to those who are too lazy to find out things on their own. *sigh* Endless cycle.

Oh well, just a rant. Just feeling particularly cheesed off tonight. Those who know me from shoots or read my other posts know I'm not normally like this. Hopefully normal service will resume soon...

always, even till now i still occasionally flip my manual for me FE2

Quote Originally Posted by NashVillian
    always, even till now i still occasionally flip my manual for me FE2
    For stuff I'm thoroughly familiar with, like Macs, P&S cameras, video cameras, TVs, VCRs, etc, etc... I can navigate stuff with ease without RTFM.

But if I'm venturing into new ground, like DSLR, I made it a point to RTM.

Quote Originally Posted by acroamatic
    Hmmm... more CSers should RTF(*#@!%M and FAQs and use the Search function BEFORE asking questions. Especially the newbies... particularly those who have just taken up photography as a hobby.

Dunno lah, the longer I am on CS, the more... irritated I get with some questions. Okay, we were all newbies once but, honestly, some questions are repeated to death. And some are just... well... demonstrate a total lack of effort on the newbie's part. The answers are easily available...

Of course, it doesn't help that there are so many 'experts' ready to pander to those who are too lazy to find out things on their own. *sigh* Endless cycle.
    Totally understand. When I'm in a bad mood I'll just leave those questions alone instead of being unconstructive. In better moods I love helping the newbies to "display an air of superiority". (Haha! Don't we all like to take an ego trip sometimes?) It's actually quite fun helping people grow in their knowledge.

For those who are willing to answer the newbie's dead questions is also doing himself/herself a favour...when you are good enough to lend a hand to others it's a form of revision of knowlege for oneself.

I usually RTFM in the toilet as my wife makes noise when I bring her mags in during potty time... haha!

I have actually gone through the English language portion of the Manual for my Oly5050 about 6 times already!!! Hahahaha!

Reading through manuals many times, I found that many manufacturers do not really proof read the contents for grammar as well as spelling mistakes!! Sometimes, the sentences don't make sense at all!
    Olympus E-3 / E-500 / XA | Vivitar UWS
    Blog & Photos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12