Thread: Online Shopping!!!

Default Online Shopping!!!

hi,
    just want to find out from you guys if u have any favourite websites that u do online shopping from?
    must be reliable etc...
    looking for all stuff, clothes, electronics, whatever!

If you use a PDA, u can get your software from these sites:
    www.handango.com
    www.pocketgear.com

Btw, regarding the reliability issue, just check to see that these online merchants have been verifed by verisign, e-trust, etc. Read their privacy policy as well.

Hi! Have you been on Ebay? There are good bargains there but you just gotta be careful with the terms and what-not. Another great place is Amazon.com.. they've got practically everything. You've got to bear in mind the exchange rate though, as it's not always cheaper.

Happy Shopping

Amazon.com, for second hand CDs. Also, Musicrecyclery.com for cheaper second hand CDs. Very cheap, and if you have a friend in the USA to bring back for you every 6 mths, all the better.

just bought a few expensive items.... keeping fingers crossed....
    Last edited by mpenza; 29th April 2004 at 12:25 AM.

but like if u buy on e-bay then u send the cash over and the guy give u screwed up stuff then how?
    abit hesitant leh, i seen some camera offers, really ridiculously cheap!

Buying on ebay, always check the sellers feedback. Make sure you explicitly ask the seller that there's nothing functionally wrong with the item and ask for additional pictures to clear up any doubts you have before even bidding. And always keep your bidding tendencies in check because Ebay's a sellers market...I've often seen used items going for even more than B&H prices.

If you are really afraid, you can try using escrow services, where you send the cash to a third party and the seller send the goods for you to check. If everything is ok, you then authorise the release of funds to the seller.

And beware of ridiculously cheap 'buy it now' offers on Ebay...if it's too good to be true, it's usually a scam.

I've gotten 80% of my stuff online (tripod and ballhead, lenses, flash, camera body, film, filters, camera bags), either true Ebay or through the buy-sell section of www.nikonians.com (an international community of Nikon owners website) or through other online buying portals, and have good experiences so far. Amazon.com is also very good for photography books, and I try to buy a few books or computer games at one go to take advantage of free shipping offers.

any particular sellers on ebay to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    Buying on ebay, always check the sellers feedback. Make sure you explicitly ask the seller that there's nothing functionally wrong with the item and ask for additional pictures to clear up any doubts you have before even bidding. And always keep your bidding tendencies in check because Ebay's a sellers market...I've often seen used items going for even more than B&H prices.

If you are really afraid, you can try using escrow services, where you send the cash to a third party and the seller send the goods for you to check. If everything is ok, you then authorise the release of funds to the seller.

And beware of ridiculously cheap 'buy it now' offers on Ebay...if it's too good to be true, it's usually a scam.

I've gotten 80% of my stuff online (tripod and ballhead, lenses, flash, camera body, film, filters, camera bags), either true Ebay or through the buy-sell section of www.nikonians.com (an international community of Nikon owners website) or through other online buying portals, and have good experiences so far. Amazon.com is also very good for photography books, and I try to buy a few books or computer games at one go to take advantage of free shipping offers.
    how do u go abt using this escrow service? and the problem being most of the time they only ship within the states. any other websites u visit? care to list them?

IMO it is too risky as you make the payment first and thhey send the good later. If the goods are not to your expectations then chances are you will have to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    any particular sellers on ebay to recommend?
    I've bought different things on ebay from different sellers, so don't really have any in particular to recommend. Usually you just gotta check out their ratings, and sometimes it's even a gut feeling for me. There are sellers who charge you the exact cost of the postage, but there are some who try to profit out of "shipping & handling". So just be wary. It's happened to me a few times but since only small amounts were involved, it's not so bad

On a seperate note, I understand we've got something called VPostUSA? Think i saw a thread on CS somewhere... that might help? Apparently it can help us (in Sg) save on shipping costs...

have to find sellers willing to ship to an address different from our credit cards though. I found several reputable retailors that only ship to US or accept only US-issued credit cards.

There're also some that specifically won't ship to Singapore!!!

Yeah... I've experienced that too. And quite often, its the really cheap stuff that can't be shipped here Unless you know someone in the USA (or wherever that seller is from) you could get them to help.

Btw, the 'expensive stuff' you bought are from ebay?

canon lense. seller is ok and rated well.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    canon lense. seller is ok and rated well.
    Hope it goes well

You can try vpost, a service provided by Singapore Post.

If you are buying from US based Ebay sellers, cametaauctions have a good reputation. Adorama (a big US photoshop) also has an Ebay presence though I've forgotten their name on Ebay. And yes, some dealers don't want the hassle of shipping internationally, as sometimes customs would shallow the package and the buyer leaves a negative feedback eventhough its not their fault. Always take out shipping insurance when you buy from Ebay...protection for yourself as well as the seller.

jbma: Thats why you have to ask for photos, and ask in writing (aka email) specifically asking the seller for specific problems (sticky aperture blades, dust in lens, signs of fungus, filter thread distortion etc). This makes it much harder for them later to deny if the item arrive in a condition other than described (in this case, this become a case of fraud as you've specifically asked about the condition).

mpenza: Have you tried b&h photo instead of ebay? Also, you might want to consider using Paypal also..

Anyway, some of the sellers don't ship to Singapore cos of idiots in Indonesia who practise credit card fraud like nobody's business, and they reason that since Singapore is so close to Indonesia, we would be just as bad. .. (incidentally there's a recent case of a Singapore ebayer who scam alot of ebayers...)