Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: trip to prague

  1. #41

    Default Re: trip to prague

    When I was in Central Europe and wanted to go around to other countries, I panicked about the train tickets and wanted to buy it online and in advance... but my course advisor (I was there on exchange) said not to bother, just go to the station 30min in advance and buy it. He turned out to be quite right. He also said there was no need to buy the seat reservations, and we didn't at first, but after the first ride, we immediately bought reservations for the return journey.

    What happens as far as I can tell is that they just keep selling tickets. The train gradually gets more packed as it goes along, and if you get on at one of the later stops and don't have a seat reservation (which is purchased separate from the ticket), you're just going to have to sit on one of the fold-down seats along the hallway, or on the floor, or inbetween carriages, or stand. With your luggage.

    My friends and I were lucky - on our first ride, we got on at the very first stop. So we didn't have any problems finding seats that hadn't been reserved. But we saw what happened afterwards, and since on the return journey we would be getting on halfway and it was a long overnight ride, we bought the reservations.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by rh89 View Post
    When I was in Central Europe and wanted to go around to other countries, I panicked about the train tickets and wanted to buy it online and in advance... but my course advisor (I was there on exchange) said not to bother, just go to the station 30min in advance and buy it. He turned out to be quite right. He also said there was no need to buy the seat reservations, and we didn't at first, but after the first ride, we immediately bought reservations for the return journey.

    What happens as far as I can tell is that they just keep selling tickets. The train gradually gets more packed as it goes along, and if you get on at one of the later stops and don't have a seat reservation (which is purchased separate from the ticket), you're just going to have to sit on one of the fold-down seats along the hallway, or on the floor, or inbetween carriages, or stand. With your luggage.

    My friends and I were lucky - on our first ride, we got on at the very first stop. So we didn't have any problems finding seats that hadn't been reserved. But we saw what happened afterwards, and since on the return journey we would be getting on halfway and it was a long overnight ride, we bought the reservations.
    oh ok. How long is the journey? Where u went to?

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    to bros n sis who are back from prague hope you guys can share regards your trips there my turn will come oct end of the month..

  4. #44

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by sachokphantom View Post
    to bros n sis who are back from prague hope you guys can share regards your trips there my turn will come oct end of the month..
    nice views of Charles bridge & the Vltava river from the monastery up the hill or the look-out point. not so good is that some parts of the Charles bridge was under construction when i was there. for most night photos, i found ISO 800-1600 good enough. if i found a place to support my camera nearby, though, I would shoot at ISO 100-400. for a handful of night scenes, i used a tripod--it's a very touristy city & there were people with DSLRs everywhere, and i would see tripods occasionally. the range of my 17-55 was good enough for me--i only missed a few animal shots, which i can live without. a CPL came in somewhat useful for minimizing reflection when taking photos from inside the vehicles. outside it makes the skies bluer, but isn't terribly necessary. btw, i took the train only once (to save time) and went on foot most of the time. used a mobile phone GPS software that exports .GPX files to record my route.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Oh ok. So its true that in prague everywhere is a free wifi? Is euro 1000 enough for 9 days trip?

  6. #46

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Prague is very beautiful. U need at least 3 days for this. Hope to visit again

    Cesky Krumlov is also very beautiful. I like the train ride there, those old trains. The train station is quite far from the central. I arrived at the station at 1130pm, had to walk all the way there.

  7. #47

    Default Re: trip to prague

    whether 1000 euros is enough depends on which season u travel in, what hotels, how fast.

    Outside Prague, the hotels are dirt cheap

  8. #48

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by sachokphantom View Post
    Oh ok. So its true that in prague everywhere is a free wifi? Is euro 1000 enough for 9 days trip?
    i don't think there's free wifi everywhere in Prague. i did get free wifi at my hotel, at Starbucks, and I think at the airport too.

    1000 euros? i guess it depends if your hotels are already paid for via credit card, etc. i didn't spend more than 250 euros cash over 7 days, but that was because most of my purchasing was via credit card.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    i don't think there's free wifi everywhere in Prague. i did get free wifi at my hotel, at Starbucks, and I think at the airport too.

    1000 euros? i guess it depends if your hotels are already paid for via credit card, etc. i didn't spend more than 250 euros cash over 7 days, but that was because most of my purchasing was via credit card.
    oh ok.. i just cant wait to go.. end of oct, prague here i come..

  10. #50

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Charles Bridge is usually flooded with tourists during the day. If you wish to spend some time taking pictures of the bridge itself and the beautiful surroundings, you should head there early in the morning. When I was in Prague last month. , I was really looking forward to taking pictures of sunrise over Charles Bridge. Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with good weather during my stay there. Hope you'll have better luck than me! Also, it can be chilly early in the morning. If you decide to give this a go, be warmly attired and always carry an umbrella with you in case it starts raining.

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by camellia View Post
    Charles Bridge is usually flooded with tourists during the day. If you wish to spend some time taking pictures of the bridge itself and the beautiful surroundings, you should head there early in the morning. When I was in Prague last month. , I was really looking forward to taking pictures of sunrise over Charles Bridge. Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with good weather during my stay there. Hope you'll have better luck than me! Also, it can be chilly early in the morning. If you decide to give this a go, be warmly attired and always carry an umbrella with you in case it starts raining.
    is last month a raining season? i check the sunrise time is at 10+ in the morning? is it true?
    Last edited by sachokphantom; 19th October 2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo error

  12. #52

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by sachokphantom View Post
    is last month a raining season? i check the sunrise time is at 10+ in the morning? is it true?

    When I was there from 24 to 28 Sep, sunrise was around 6.50am. Click here for the rising times of the sun.
    Last edited by camellia; 19th October 2010 at 11:23 PM.

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by camellia View Post
    When I was there from 24 to 28 Sep, sunrise was around 6.50am. Click here for the rising times of the sun.
    Hey. Thanks a lot for the link. why you didnt post your photo?

  14. #54

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Prague is a beautiful city and you should have ample photo opportunities there. If you have some time to move around you should visit Český Krumlov and Hrad Karlštejn.

  15. #55

    Default Re: trip to prague

    if u go during winter, u see a lot of restoration works to tourists sites, a lot of scaffoldings. Sometimes they really spoil the pictures. When I was in Prague, half of the charles bridge was covered with scaffoldings, damn sian. This country is not just about prague, there are so many other beautiful cities around. I like the trains, old type in which u can peer out of the windows

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by dapier View Post
    if u go during winter, u see a lot of restoration works to tourists sites, a lot of scaffoldings. Sometimes they really spoil the pictures. When I was in Prague, half of the charles bridge was covered with scaffoldings, damn sian. This country is not just about prague, there are so many other beautiful cities around. I like the trains, old type in which u can peer out of the windows
    Yup. I b going tis weekend during winter. btw did you change your currently in the airport?and i did check the web fr prague to budapest and the train ride is around s$274. Is it ok?

  17. #57

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by sachokphantom View Post
    Yup. I b going tis weekend during winter. btw did you change your currently in the airport?and i did check the web fr prague to budapest and the train ride is around s$274. Is it ok?


    I changed my currencies to USD and Euros before I leave S'pore. In Europe, I will then change the currencies to their respective while there. Not in the airport. Sometimes there is discount especially in Central and East Europe. I took a train ride from Budapest to Berlin for only 80 Euros (after discount). I wanted to go to Croatia then but it was raining that week and I could not take good pictures, the only sunny region was in the North so I went towards Demark. I travel according to the weather, I check the weather each day and try to avoid cloudy and raining weather as the pictures look bad. I may spend a few hundred bucks per day on train ride (depending on the sector and distance). I move everyday (except in the bigger cities) n so pay a lot for train fare. Train fare is expensive in Europe, it depends on how fast you move

    I think Hungary is quite ex in train travel for an eastern european country. I travelled from budapest to places like Pecs and others and I cost me more than 100 bucks each. And on top of that I got fined when the ticket seller sold me a ticket that is meant for under 26. I definitely do not look like below 26. But I could not read the language, only could point on the map

    In countries like Germany, you may pay 500 to 600 bucks per day depending on distance. IF you want to travel over longer distances, u must carry a lot of cash

    travel is a learning experience. I make mistakes and learn along the way. If u make a mistake, u may lose a day and see 1 town less. As u travel more, u make less mistakes and it makes a big difference. Train leave on time. Most of the time u will see me running after the trains, miss it and u sit for at least an hour waiting for the next, and may see 1 less place. Planning the trip for the next day takes a lot of effort like when the train will leave, how much time in each town, how much time u have to eat, etc etc

    Most of the time, I have to change the city from which I take the flight back as I do not know where I am going each time. But I love this kind of travel, a lot of adventures. Sometimes I could not find a hotel room when I reach the next town at midnite. I always plan to reach the next town after 10pm to find a hotel so that I can maximise the day
    Last edited by dapier; 27th October 2010 at 08:57 AM.

  18. #58

    Default Re: trip to prague

    one tip--choose the taxi you take from the airport carefully. there are some that overcharge. I took the officially-endorsed one from the airport, and at the counter they gave me a coupon for a discount when taking the cab back to the airport. Mine cost about 500 crowns to my hotel which was located 2 mins walking distance from Charles bridge.

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: trip to prague

    hey guys.. thanks for the all the info you all have given to me.. now im in prague with my wife celebrate my 10 yrs anniversary its a wonderfull place. sunrise has a problem with the cloud here. others is great..

  20. #60

    Default Re: trip to prague

    Quote Originally Posted by sachokphantom View Post
    hey guys.. thanks for the all the info you all have given to me.. now im in prague with my wife celebrate my 10 yrs anniversary its a wonderfull place. sunrise has a problem with the cloud here. others is great..
    Enjoy your time there! I enjoyed mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •