Thread: Hand Hold Grad ND Filter Technique

Default Hand Hold Grad ND Filter Technique

I'm thinking on purchasing a couple of filters mainly CPL, Grad ND and ND4/8 filters for landscape shots during my upcoming 3 months trip to New Zealand. I was looking at the below 2 videos by Phtographer Adam Barker and had a couple of questions. Hope you guys can help me out here.

How to Hand Hold Grad ND Filters - AdamBarkerPhotograph
    Outdoor Photography: Shooting with a reverse grad filter & polarizer

1) What are the benefits of using Filter Holders (eg. more stable)?
    2) Since attaching the Filter Ring & Filter Holder would take some time, won't the above technique save time (setting up the filter holder) as well as money (buying the filter ring & holder)? Probably answer from (1) might answer this question too.

Really appreciate if you could offer your kind advice.

Default Re: Hand Hold Grad ND Filter Technique

handholding the filters is probably gonna work for quick shots, but for long exposures, you'll have to hold the filters there for as long the exposure lasts, without moving the filters or camera, which may be difficult.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Most of the time, for short exposures, I would hand hold.
    One thing with that would be the chances of getting fingerprint smudges on the sides which you need to wipe off later.

With filter holder and ring, I would usually leave the ring attached to the lens, and keep the filter slotted inside the holder in my bag.

When I need the filter, I just snap the holder onto the ring. Hope I make sense.

Main benefits imo being precise placement, minimise contact with ur GNDs (smudge or oil stains), and long exposures etc..

It doesnt require alot of time in setting up u noe.. i can do mine in under 10s
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Thanks for the replies!

I just have a couple more questions:

1) I'm on a tight budget, thinking of getting Cokin Ring+Holder since I heard it is more rigid compared to Tianya. I'd seperately buy Tianya's GND, ND4 & ND8 filter. Is there any other filter (eg, Grad Blue, Grad Orange) that you'd reccomend for shooting landscape in NZ or are these 3 enough for beginners?

2) I'm only using the 18-105mm VR kit lens, do I need a good CPL filter like Hoya CPL filter? Or would the normal and cheap tianya/tokina CPL be sufficient?

My budget for the entire filter set (CPL,GND,ND4,ND8, Filter Rings+Holder) would be around $100-150.

Hope you guys here can give me some advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarenze View Post
    T1) I'm on a tight budget, thinking of getting Cokin Ring+Holder since I heard it is more rigid compared to Tianya. I'd seperately buy Tianya's GND, ND4 & ND8 filter. Is there any other filter (eg, Grad Blue, Grad Orange) that you'd reccomend for shooting landscape in NZ or are these 3 enough for beginners?
    All colour filters can be applied later in PP - including an Undo function The picture taken with Orange filter is taken that way, period. Keep it simple as beginner. Get where you really know that you need it. Get filters which cannot be replaced by image processing.
    2) I'm only using the 18-105mm VR kit lens, do I need a good CPL filter like Hoya CPL filter? Or would the normal and cheap tianya/tokina CPL be sufficient?
    Get good filters or skip them. A filter costs less than a ticket to NZ for reshooting Hoya is fine, mostly recommended here.
    My budget for the entire filter set (CPL,GND,ND4,ND8, Filter Rings+Holder) would be around $100-150.
    IIRC, Filter holder about 25, adapter ring 18. Check the Mass Sales for Hoya CPL and Tianya.
    EOS

you can easily pp out the relevant colours in photoshop, for all the color grads

you are using a 18-105, then you can get the multifilter holder from cokin p series. if you use something wider, better to get the UWA filter holder , which only holds one filter.

hoya cpl will be fine.

You guys are awesome!

Great! Guess I got all my doubts and questions answered within 24 hrs! Thanks guys and will post pics once im there!

EDIT: CLOSED thread, answered all my questions!
    Last edited by Clarenze; 5th July 2010 at 10:25 PM.