Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Model Photography

  1. #1

    Default Model Photography

    Hey guys, I"m quiet interested in trying out model photography but though i might need some tips before going there and waste my time taking lousy shots.
    I'm using a Canon 500D with EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF50mm f/1.8 II

    so yah some questions i was wondering was....

    1) suitable type of lens (specifics if possible) that you guys have used and produce great photos with. Just wanted to hear some recommendations. I'm gonna rent so budget wise its under 100.

    2) Metering mode, I really have no idea what the differences are but I'll go read up on it, but just wanted to hear for other's experience, the best metering settings to use.

    3) How to achieve a picture with the closest object in great focus but the background in a blurr. I've done this before but didnt always come out the same.

    eg...

    Good kind



    Bad Kind



    so yah could i get some advice on how to achieve the first picture constantly. I'm not gonna always use tt style but just wanna know.



    4) how does a photo-shoot work?
    If there is like 6 photographers and 1 model, do all of them shoot at the same time or take turns?
    May be some one experienced could enlighten me abit more on the subject, may be in dept like poses and communication with organizer and model.


    5) Is a flash a necessity?

    6) after pictures are taken, what are some of the privacy or copy right issues that might normally arise. Eg. posing on FB or Portfolio sites



    Thanks
    Last edited by ShawnKohJyhShen; 4th July 2010 at 08:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Model Photography

    Go find out more on aperture control and the DOF.

    What you want to achieve is low DOF and using a large aperture will give you such an effect. Note that you'd need to balance it with the focal length as well as the distance of the subject to the camera as well as the distance of the BG to the subject as well.

    As for mode, you'd want to use aperture priority to have control over the above mentioned effect.

    Practise with your 50mm f1.8 and you'll see.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Model Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Go find out more on aperture control and the DOF.

    What you want to achieve is low DOF and using a large aperture will give you such an effect. Note that you'd need to balance it with the focal length as well as the distance of the subject to the camera as well as the distance of the BG to the subject as well.

    As for mode, you'd want to use aperture priority to have control over the above mentioned effect.

    Practise with your 50mm f1.8 and you'll see.
    Thanks...
    DOF = Depth of Field

    right? lol
    ok I will take a look at that

  4. #4
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Model Photography

    Go join those paid model shoots and learn from the others and the organizers.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Model Photography

    agree with ding
    most other shooters and some photog orgganisers can teach u a lot more on site than googling or reading

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Go join those paid model shoots and learn from the others and the organizers.
    Life is short, so shoot more!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Model Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Go join those paid model shoots and learn from the others and the organizers.
    4) how does a photo-shoot work?
    If there is like 6 photographers and 1 model, do all of them shoot at the same time or take turns?
    May be some one experienced could enlighten me abit more on the subject, may be in dept like poses and communication with organizer and model.

    any advice ?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Model Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlightsg View Post
    agree with ding
    most other shooters and some photog orgganisers can teach u a lot more on site than googling or reading
    i'll be fair, 80% (to be honest, i felt like putting 95%, but a more conservative estimate hor) of the people shooting xmm in those mass photoshoot do not produce anything really worth keeping in my book.

    TS should ask uncle kongo to teach him a few things.

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Model Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    1) suitable type of lens (specifics if possible) that you guys have used and produce great photos with. Just wanted to hear some recommendations. I'm gonna rent so budget wise its under 100.
    you can use your existing kit lens to shoot portrait, I believe if ones can't produce a decent portrait with a normal type of lens, using a best lens will not turn a normal shot into a great shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    2) Metering mode, I really have no idea what the differences are but I'll go read up on it, but just wanted to hear for other's experience, the best metering settings to use.
    understand about exposure and metering mode is very fundamental, suggest you learn and understand the basic first before venture into more complicated stuffs.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    3) How to achieve a picture with the closest object in great focus but the background in a blurr. I've done this before but didnt always come out the same.
    portrait is about capture the likeness of a person, narrow DOF may help but is not always the must, pay attentions on what is the essences of a portrait.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    4) how does a photo-shoot work?
    If there is like 6 photographers and 1 model, do all of them shoot at the same time or take turns?
    May be some one experienced could enlighten me abit more on the subject, may be in dept like poses and communication with organizer and model.
    can't help you on these as I don't join photoshoot, usually shoot alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    5) Is a flash a necessity?
    depends on your shooting style, but from I see what being done here, most of the time has no choice cos nobody care much about posing the model under the right lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    6) after pictures are taken, what are some of the privacy or copy right issues that might normally arise. Eg. posing on FB or Portfolio sites
    as in paid photoshoots here, the photographer paid to get the photos of the models, they own the photos and entitle to use in whatever way they see fit, unless photographers want enter an agreement with the models for not disclose/publish the photos.

    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9

    Default Re: Model Photography

    hi ts, i would suggest speaking to some organisers to find out more about studio shoots.

    imo, the most impt skill/knowledge about studio shoot is lighting. so attending an orgnanised shoot allows you to learn about the equipment and how a typical shoot is set up.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •