Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: ibook g4 need help

  1. #1
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default ibook g4 need help

    guys, i need help

    my keyboard stop working, using "Show Keyboard Viewer", it is determine that "F2-F11", both "Shift", both "Apple", "fn", "Control" & "alt" keys are still working.

    i m using external key board to type this.

    i have taken out & re-insert the "Internal Keyboard Connector".

    do u have any suggestions other than changing keyboard?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  2. #2
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    while trying to search for a solution to my problem, i come across this, see what was the cause of that lady's problem.

    http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...p/t-89667.html
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    find a 2nd hand spoilt ibook and swop the keyboard

    or use it as a good excuse to buy a new macbook

  4. #4

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    guys, i need help

    my keyboard stop working, using "Show Keyboard Viewer", it is determine that "F2-F11", both "Shift", both "Apple", "fn", "Control" & "alt" keys are still working.

    i m using external key board to type this.

    i have taken out & re-insert the "Internal Keyboard Connector".

    do u have any suggestions other than changing keyboard?
    Hi Dennis

    Assuming we are talking about the same machine, the small silver mac G4 notebook (our is 13" I believe), we have one that was hammered (don't ask) some time back. It would work but then freeze (probably a damaged memory chip or some other circuit was damaged).

    If you want it, you can have it for free, as long as you know how to open the machine and remove the hard disk before you take it away.

    Let me know if this can be of use to you

    -- marios

  5. #5
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    many many thanks marios. i pmed u liao.

    searching from web, there were cases where people recommended pressing both "Shift" keys will resurrect the key board & many say it works, unfortunately for me it doesnt.

    the lin i posted in #02, were, her bf really evil, shoot sperm onto her keyboard
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  6. #6

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    I always have the impression that this sort of thing only happened to PC. Mac is build for easy use and problem free, why must press this press that.

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    I always have the impression that this sort of thing only happened to PC. Mac is build for easy use and problem free, why must press this press that.
    do you know how old his notebook is?

  8. #8
    Member jsprtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CEntral
    Posts
    416

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    many many thanks marios. i pmed u liao.

    searching from web, there were cases where people recommended pressing both "Shift" keys will resurrect the key board & many say it works, unfortunately for me it doesnt.

    the lin i posted in #02, were, her bf really evil, shoot sperm onto her keyboard
    This is a good chance to bring to apple store and trade in for a new MBP 17"

  9. #9
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    big thanks to marios, although the keyboard is not compatible, we did have a good time distroying his mac to extract the harddisk.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  10. #10
    Member NeTHaCk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    big thanks to marios, although the keyboard is not compatible, we did have a good time distroying his mac to extract the harddisk.
    by any chance took any pics in the process
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

  11. #11

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    by any chance took any pics in the process
    Don't have lah... the coffee and the chat was good though!

    -- marios

    for record purposes: Mine was an old PowerBook G4 (duhh.. did not see that Dennis was after an iBook not a PowerBook). It proved impossible to remove the keyboard but with a bit of "friendly force" we split (ripped) the bottom casing half way enough to get the hard disk (I used the machine in the past for emails thus the need to remove the hard disk before disposing the machine). In the process of ripping, unscrewing etc we were able to remove the airport which hopefully Dennis manage to get it to work with his machine...

    Not bad for kopitiam chit-chat!

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    you do know that there are step by step instructions on the internet

  13. #13

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you do know that there are step by step instructions on the internet
    I know you are right, but been wanting to dispose it for almost 2 years now, it has been physically damaged - else it was working fine, somehow Apple makes machines that go on and on! Been wanting to pass it to someone to make use of the parts as it sounded like the right thing to do, the kala-guni man (sure the spelling is wrong) has proved to be of no use in the past (they no longer collect newspapers, a working Sony monitor was rejected because xyz excuse, not sure what use they are for, anymore). Sometime back I was disposing a 4U server, auntie also refused it!!!!!

    RIP

  14. #14
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    if there is anyone with a not functional ibook g4 (not the alu type, its the white plastic one), pls let me know if i can have the keyboard. thanks.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    it would be better if you stated the exact version of ibook that you have

    http://support.apple.com/kb/SP89

    what size?
    Last edited by ortega; 6th July 2010 at 05:28 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    its :

    ibook g4 1.33ghz
    14" combo drive
    according to the link otega posted, its late 2004 model.

    when i open the keyboard, i notice there is a fold line in the ribbon that crosses 4-5 wires.

    using external keyboard is ok for 80% of the time as the ibook sometime siao than auto dim the monitor or activate 1, q, a, z, f11 & delete buttons. than got to restart the ibook.

    better than not have a com to surf lar.
    Last edited by denniskee; 6th July 2010 at 05:38 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  17. #17
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    I know you are right, but been wanting to dispose it for almost 2 years now, it has been physically damaged - else it was working fine, somehow Apple makes machines that go on and on! Been wanting to pass it to someone to make use of the parts as it sounded like the right thing to do, the kala-guni man (sure the spelling is wrong) has proved to be of no use in the past (they no longer collect newspapers, a working Sony monitor was rejected because xyz excuse, not sure what use they are for, anymore). Sometime back I was disposing a 4U server, auntie also refused it!!!!!

    RIP
    i konw i have just put my old G4/400 AGP to rest, (perfect working order)
    anyone wants parts?

  18. #18
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    you know that you would get better response in a MUG forum

  19. #19
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you know that you would get better response in a MUG forum
    thanks for the heads up, just posted there to ask for help.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  20. #20
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: ibook g4 need help

    ok, i very TL with the auto dim (because the keyboard siao, sometime the F1 key auto activate), now remove the internal connector and cut the ribbon, using external keyboard. hahaha.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •