Thread: D90 (18-200) alone Sufficient for Europe?

Default D90 (18-200) alone Sufficient for Europe?

Hi,

Sorry if this is very basic question.. I would be travelling to London on a business trip and plan to take a week off after that to go around..

Please can you tell me if D90 with 18-200 VR II lens alone would be sufficient?

Thanks & Regards,
    Sachin

Default Re: D90 (18-200) alone Sufficient for Europe?

Hi Sachin,

Personally, it is more than sufficient. Hope you enjoy your walkabout in London!

Cheers!
    Last edited by dingaroo; 4th July 2010 at 04:39 PM.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Hi Sachin,

Personally, it is more than sufficient. Hope you enjoy your walkabout in London!

Cheers!
    Cool... Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by sachinohms View Post
    Hi,

Sorry if this is very basic question.. I would be travelling to London on a business trip and plan to take a week off after that to go around..

Thanks & Regards,
    Sachin
    I think the range pretty covers most photo opportunities. Do share your London photos when you're back

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,
    Sachin
    Enjoy your trip!

For me, I'm a sucker for ultra-wide angles, so if I were to travel "light", I'd go with my 12-24 and a 55-200.
    but that's just me.
    Exploring! :)

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,
    Sachin
    Definitely more than enough..

but i will recommend a light weight 50mm alongside an UWA for a more complete round up

Dun forget ur tripod and other misc stuff like extra batteries and creative filters
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

limitations of this kind zoom lens aside, the range is as versatile as it gets (putting aside the 250-270 zooms). i am absolutely sure, however, that you will find that sometimes a UWA lens (or sth like the 16-85) is better in certain situations. if you've a penchant for wide shots, then can consider one more lens.
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

it depends on you, really.

Like n86n mentioned, it's really up to you. I always have this debate with myself whether I bring enuff lens or not. I now travel with only my Tamron 17-50mm and 8mm FE (option). To me it is sufficient as the Tammy do give me enough IQ. So if you think the 18-200mm gives you enuff IQ, then I would say it is sufficient.

Just curious, what other options do you have?
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

really depends on what shots you plan to take, what will be the conditions of the location, and of course personal preference.

if you want to take in the whole scene, then definitely you'd want to use a wide-angle. if you're the one who wants to get in tight, go for a medium tele-zoom.

carrying 2 lenses (wide and tele) is ideal as you have more creative choices, but bear in mind this also has its downside such as missing the shot coz you're busy changing lenses, potential dust getting in if you change lens on location that is less than ideal, etc..

so if you REALLY want to travel light (one body, one lens, and yourself), then the 18-200 is a pretty good option.

btw, D90/18-200 is also my everyday walkabout setup. the focal length is so versatile you can get almost any street shot. almost.

just my 2 cents thrown in

Good and versatile combo. Do try to bring along a fast and light prime as well such as a 35mm f2 of 50mm 1.4 for discreet street shooting and for situations where you cannot rely on the flash.

The problem you will find with the 18-200 is that when extended, the built-in flash does get affected by a shadow cast by the lens barrel. So you may want to bring an external flash along as well, if weight permits. The SB 400 with a small bounce card is nice and light for travel in my case.

Cheers and happy holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    I think the range pretty covers most photo opportunities. Do share your London photos when you're back
    Yes sure

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Enjoy your trip!

For me, I'm a sucker for ultra-wide angles, so if I were to travel "light", I'd go with my 12-24 and a 55-200.
    but that's just me.

hmm 12-24 would be really useful..

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,
    Sachin
    take along a nifty fifty just in case got some nice night scenes or performances...not that expensive and can double up as a portrait lens.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Depends on you - as what others have commented. I went Europe earlier this year with just a 18-250mm lens. However
    I brought along a pns for my wife to use. It also act as a backup in case the camera die on me, memory card crash etc.......
    newbie to dslr. A friend went on honeymoon and wipe out all the pics in one go (he used a very high Gig memory card).
    So you decide what kind of backup you need or is best for your own travel needs.

I also in the same situation as TS..most probably just bring my D5000 and 18-200 lens will do. Trying to get a small flash SB-400 as well....I preferred to keep it light and simple...

yup.. good idea! Don't bring heavy gear if it will affect your holiday negatively. No point.
    Better to enjoy the holiday and take less pictures, than bring back nice pictures but black face...
    Exploring! :)

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,
    Sachin
    Should be sufficient for general street photography. If you like scenery and buildings/castles/museums, etc. suggest you also bring a ultra-wide and/or even a fish-eye.

You probably won't want to change lens on the go so in terms of coverage I think 18-200 should be good enough.

Please do remember your spare batt, memory cards etc. Oh, and a tripod if you intend to take night sceneries.

Enjoy your trip and looking forward to see your pictures.
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40