Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: tuition assignments

Default Re: tuition assignments

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    its not wrong to say its a lie lar. more like...

remember the early days when ppl ask u, what happens if u throw a stone and a paper into water. u will say paper floats stone sink, cause paper heavier. then u realise its not. and u move on to other stuff.

same for chem and physics in a way. what we learn in primary sec sch, all teach u the raw basics. enough for u to live life, not enough for u to excel. physics i can say that for sure. if we were to use newton's laws of motion of very fast objects, it will screw up. but for daily purposes, its sufficient.

i think math is the only thing that is constantly not a lie. kudos to math then
    Yes, thats partly my point. For the early stages, much of what is learnt is generalisation. The exceptions that is learnt later more of completes the picture.

Its like kids always picturing the solar system to be made up of planets in their nice circular orbits, then learning later that sometimes the orbits are not that perfect.

As for maths, yah, I also can't think of any "lie" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    It's like in the sec sch, there's oni Black and White..

Then in JC, suddenly you realise that there is something called Grey..

And then, in Uni.. there's actually different shades of grey.....

A classic example would be Metals and Non-metal behavior..

Sometimes, I hesitate when explaining concepts to students.. Like Metal + non-metal = Ionic, Non-metal+Non-metal = covalent.. So I tell them, this will be true for your O levels.. For the truth.. wait till you reach there (JC) then learn.

Sometimes, to let student remember.. it may be necessary for the sec sch teacher to tell certain "lies".. Like, Inert gases never form compounds bcoz they are.. well.. "inert".. If add too many exceptions, it'll oni make them confused and forget..

But, after passing their O levels with aces.. in JC they'll realise that inert gases form all kinds of compounds under specific conditions and with specific "partners"..

Well.. that's just part and parcel of the study route isn't it.. B&W to B&W+Grey, different shades of grey.. and then colours.........
    Sounds so familar!

Unfortunately, the hands are sometimes tied by the syllabus and exam requirements, which requires students show understanding of the inertness of noble gases. You tell them that noble gases are actually not inert....you might induce more confusion and frustration among students.
    Last edited by ahbian; 5th July 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Yes, thats partly my point. For the early stages, much of what is learnt is generalisation. The exceptions that is learnt later more of completes the picture.

Its like kids always picturing the solar system to be made up of planets in their nice circular orbits, then learning later that sometimes the orbits are not that perfect.

As for maths, yah, I also can't think of any "lie" so to speak.
    oh yes. u get lies when u take them into physics. sometimes i laugh whenever my teachers guiding us for olympiad training take ridiculous short cuts. things like dx/dt u can bring it around like fractions and play like free. according to him this is ok if u dun take limits.

ahahaha so funny

oh yes. u get lies when u take them into physics. sometimes i laugh whenever my teachers guiding us for olympiad training take ridiculous short cuts. things like dx/dt u can bring it around like fractions and play like free. according to him this is ok if u dun take limits.

ahahaha so funny
    Well, the cover backside speak we use is "this is true within certain constrains".

Blog Entries

Well, the cover backside speak we use is "this is true within certain constrains".
    i'm always amazed at how my teachers can go around so sneakily abt math

i'm always amazed at how my teachers can go around so sneakily abt math
    You should be more amazed at how many students would selectively filter out that phrase "this is true within certain constrains" and apply what is taught to Everything; then claim, "you got say meh?"

Like I said, the tendency to learn through generalizations run deep.

Blog Entries

You should be more amazed at how many students would selectively filter out that phrase "this is true within certain constrains" and apply what is taught to Everything; then claim, "you got say meh?"

Like I said, the tendency to learn through generalizations run deep.
    oh yea. al+cl shld be ionic with covalent i think. but i always see ppl just say ionic reason being metal non metal. and in jc too

oh yea. al+cl shld be ionic with covalent i think. but i always see ppl just say ionic reason being metal non metal. and in jc too
    Al+Cl covalent? Why???
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

even adults learn.. they learn that Pluto is not the last planet in the solar system..

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Al+Cl covalent? Why???

that's it ALH.. you have created confusion for the student..............

Al+Cl covalent? Why???
    Which is why questions set in secondary school consciously avoid asking about AlCl, cause that would be unfair to the students.

Anyway, to complicate matters, the extent of its ionic/covalent nature depends on the temperature too.

By the way, aren't you both suppose to be in classes at this moment?

even adults learn.. they learn that Pluto is not the last planet in the solar system..
    You mean there's another planet now?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Which is why questions set in secondary school consciously avoid asking about AlCl, cause that would be unfair to the students.

Anyway, to complicate matters, the extent of its ionic/covalent nature depends on the temperature too.

Youth day. I just woke up. Shiok ah. Hahaha
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

that's it ALH.. you have created confusion for the student..............
    And the students would now refute everything the science teacher says, "but I read on the clubsnap hor....."

Its no longer classified as a planet.

Al+Cl covalent? Why???
    Short answer.. If you're not from RI, RGS or the like.. and is oni interested in getting good grades for the O levels you can forget what he said..

If you're interested to know.. the truth is.. there are man, there are woman, and there are man with woman inclinations.. and there are woman with man inclinations..

And, Man + Woman not necessary have BGR (The general case).. they can be Sisters or Brothers (the exceptional cases)..

so it depends on how "MAN" is the man, and how "WOMAN" is the woman.........

okie.. end of story.. probably the Pro can explain better.. I'm oni part-time... heehee..
    Last edited by Limsgp; 5th July 2010 at 09:44 AM.

there was......

okie.. they learnt.. and learn again.............

Blog Entries

woots i like this lets screw them all up. who said octet is needed to have a stable structure? phosphorus can haev up to 10 valence electrons when making bonds. nitrogen can have 6 when mkaing bonds
    GG havoc pls

Blog Entries

pluto is a moon

Blog Entries

anyways. back to topic. aynone wanna be my labrat for 1 lesson or 2? i wanna get some feed back first

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast