Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

  1. #21

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    TS, have you tried planting X'mas moss. I think that will give a very nice greenish backdrop. Also I would think that placing some food would entice the shrimps to come out and stay still. I used to rear some Yamato shrimps but they did not survive very long. So I thought better not murder them further.
    My rocks are already covered with algae, and is very greenish. Actually, the shrimps' diet is mainly algae, and they don't seem to be attracted to other food.

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Actually the pics are not too bad. One way to sort out the problem:

    - Set up a standing spot light with sufficient over the top of the tank
    - Observe the behaviour as to where they normally hang out
    - Aim at the area where you will be shooting them
    - Turn on the light regularly so that the shrimp get use to it
    - Set Camera on tripod with attached remote
    - Place lens as close to the tank glass as possible
    - You may need to remove the UV filter
    - Cover (black cloth) like a cone between the camera and tank glass to reduce unwanted reflection off the glass and that the shrimp do not know that you’re in ambush position too
    - Good idea to use the 40-150mm @40mm giving f4
    - Set you focussing point and get ready
    - Sprung the trap when shrimp is in position

    Post some more pics and let us know how you do the shots
    Thanks! Will try all that. Will also try the 30-150mm lens. When I manage to take more pictues, I will definitely post them here.


    Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Sulawesi shrimps, not that easy to rare. Used to have a few but all didn't make it.

    I used an additional florescent light, and a macro attachment to take pictures previously. Need to choose the best spot (eg on the log, etc), adjust the lighting, and wait for them to stop by. Oh ya, camera was on a tripod, and just snapped continuously, choose the best shot later.
    Yes, I intent to ambush them, esp on their favourite spots. However, I can only manage to take very few pictures each time, and then have to off the lights again, and wait for them to re-appear.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by lookforstuff View Post
    You definitely require flash. Darken the room, set your camera to manual mode. Large aperture (4 or smaller number) shutter speed must adjust so that when using flash, the picture does not overexpose. Note down all setting like shutter speed, aperture, iso, and the setup of the flashes. Then wait until the shrimps come out. Then shoot.
    Good luck.
    If you're using flash, you do not need to darken the room because you can increase the shutter speed to the max sync speed, which will usually black out ambient anyway, unless the room is filled with spotlights and floodlights.

    Large aperture may not be possible for TS' lens setup. But either way, I would think something like f5.6 or f8 would be needed to get the whole shrimp in focus. Shutter speed don't need to bother if you're using flash - just set it to 1/250 or 1/125, let your flash do the work. Do note the flash sync speed though.

    TS, a macro lens will definitely help you go right up to the glass as it focuses closer. This will also help reduce/eliminate reflections from the glass.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  3. #23

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    If you're using flash, you do not need to darken the room because you can increase the shutter speed to the max sync speed, which will usually black out ambient anyway, unless the room is filled with spotlights and floodlights.

    Large aperture may not be possible for TS' lens setup. But either way, I would think something like f5.6 or f8 would be needed to get the whole shrimp in focus. Shutter speed don't need to bother if you're using flash - just set it to 1/250 or 1/125, let your flash do the work. Do note the flash sync speed though.

    TS, a macro lens will definitely help you go right up to the glass as it focuses closer. This will also help reduce/eliminate reflections from the glass.
    I do agree with you. I think the current lens I have can only do so much, and I will need a macro lens to take those pictures I wanted.
    Any users here familiar with the zuiko 35mm macro lens? I am thinking of getting that for a start.

  4. #24

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    agreed that a macro lens would do the job, but I think 35mm macro will be a bit short, those shrimp are quite tiny you know
    Try getting the Sigma 150mm Macro. great lens.

  5. #25

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Set up a small 4 x 6 ins (plastic or glass) tank with 1 pc of nice seaweed and place a blue or white background paper behind the tank, in a bright area. Then get camera ready with macro lens and polarizing filter. When ready, fish the prawn out and put into the small tank and shoot.

  6. #26

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    agreed that a macro lens would do the job, but I think 35mm macro will be a bit short, those shrimp are quite tiny you know
    Try getting the Sigma 150mm Macro. great lens.
    Just saw the great things the Sigma 150mm can do. But it's also quite expensive compared to the Zuiko 35mm, which is something I can afford more immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    Set up a small 4 x 6 ins (plastic or glass) tank with 1 pc of nice seaweed and place a blue or white background paper behind the tank, in a bright area. Then get camera ready with macro lens and polarizing filter. When ready, fish the prawn out and put into the small tank and shoot.
    Don't think I dare to take out those shrimps. Very fragile creature. They die very easily.

  7. #27

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by trelch View Post
    Don't think I dare to take out those shrimps. Very fragile creature. They die very easily.
    Actually, they are quite hardy, just don't mix them with other marine fish. I had kept marine tanks for many years.

  8. #28

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    Actually, they are quite hardy, just don't mix them with other marine fish. I had kept marine tanks for many years.
    These are freshwater shrimps from sulawesi lakes. They are very colourful, which is why they are mistaken for marine shrimps.

  9. #29

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by trelch View Post
    These are freshwater shrimps from sulawesi lakes. They are very colourful, which is why they are mistaken for marine shrimps.
    Oh my bad yes now I recall seeing this tiny creatures in the shop. The next time you buy them, shoot them before transfering to the big tanks.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    439

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Hmm... are the shrimps adverse to UV light? If they aren't (meaning they don't hide from it, unlike fluorescent light), you can get one of those for aquarium UV lights which could make your job of ambushing them easier (since you can see where they are and setup accordingly before turning on the lights).

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,130

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by joycegian View Post
    How much per piece are they?
    Last time heard from my friend that she got it for around $200 each.. abt 3cm long

    Different species from TS's....

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,186

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Last time heard from my friend that she got it for around $200 each.. abt 3cm long

    Different species from TS's....
    Wow. That's expensive. The most expensive aquarium animal that I rear is L46. But that was before they became endangered. Imagine how I squeeze my balls after I have given mine away and the price rose like 10 times.

  13. #33

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Flash? What happen if you are doing this in an aquarium?

    I think the photos are fine, except that the prawns/shrimp/whatever it is called is a little too small to be seen, especially since they are supposedly the main subject. The only thing I can think of is to get a larger zoom, so that you can zoom in more.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,186

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    I used to shoot my fighting fishes for fun but never serious enough. I would think if you can

    - turn on the aquarium light and turn off the light in the room so that the shrimps cannot see outside.
    - stand slightly away from the aquarium at 45 degrees so as not to catch your own reflection
    - use a longer zoom lens with short MFD or a long macro lens.
    - with the aquarium lights on, you don't need flash
    - may need to switch off the infra red as that beam of light may startle the living creature
    - the rest is a lot of patience. You may need to do something to make the living creature display its full glory. Like my fighting fish, I will put another male to make them flare.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,130

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Wow. That's expensive. The most expensive aquarium animal that I rear is L46. But that was before they became endangered. Imagine how I squeeze my balls after I have given mine away and the price rose like 10 times.
    what is L46?

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,186

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    what is L46?
    Zebra catfish. The last that I heard, they are selling about $400 each.
    http://www.l46.de/

  17. #37

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    See some postings here, the exposure details and the equipment used are stated:

    http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1489

    Here are more from the same photographer:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pngtony...7614156182346/

  18. #38

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Stir fried them, serve them on a plate. You may then take all the time to compose the shot you want. Hehe....
    I have expensive camera and big lenses but don't know how to use..... Sound familar???

  19. #39

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
    See some postings here, the exposure details and the equipment used are stated:

    http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1489

    Here are more from the same photographer:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pngtony...7614156182346/
    Thank you so very much! This is exactly what I needed! And the photographer uses four thirds equipment too!
    I will practise the photography on sakura shrimps first. They are not shy, and come out in the day. The shutter speed needed is much faster, better for my shakey hands. After i get the technique right, I think i can then venture to take photos of the nocturnal and shy sulawesi shrimps with the low shutter speed. (on tripod of course). Strangely, the colours doesn't seem right for some of the shrimps in those photos that this photographer took.

    Sigh.. now all i need are those Sigma 150(300)mm macro lenses, and 3 flashguns, Olympus FL50R, Olympus FL50 and Nikon SB28
    Last edited by trelch; 13th July 2010 at 09:35 AM.

  20. #40

    Default Re: How to shoot better photos of these shrimps?

    Quote Originally Posted by simmeow View Post
    Stir fried them, serve them on a plate. You may then take all the time to compose the shot you want. Hehe....
    Yes, of course. Why didn't I think of that. Just that it is going to be a very costly meal to fill one plate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •