Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    I am not sure how many stayed up to watch the WC match between Ghana and Uruguay. And how many managed to stay throughout the game and witness the last minute of ET drama. In short, this Luis Saurez instinctively stopped the ball from crossing the line with his hands. He was red carded. But Ghana missed the resulting penalty and the match went into penalty shootout. Uruguay won.

    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...716&ver=global

    I personally think that Saurez is a hero. He kept a national's dream alive. But others labelled him as a cheat. I wonder how many Singaporeans will actually perform a self sacrificing act.

    - will you just let the ball go in . (play by the rules/law abiding).
    - do not have the instinct to use your hands to stop the ball (dunno how to cheat/law abiding)
    - don't want to miss the semi final so won't use hand (self-fish/no brain)
    - don't want to create controversy or be called a cheat (play safe/avert risk)

    Anyway, he is the new Hand of God. The last time the hand of God appears, the team won the World Cup.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 3rd July 2010 at 12:07 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    What? Uraguay won... Man...
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    What? Uraguay won... Man...
    Just the quarter final. But the last minute of extra time is full of drama.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Argentina will win. They got a hand of god(maradona) and a feet of god(messi)

    I doubt i'd handball tho. Its just unfair to the opponent and disrespectful to the game. I'd rather go out with my head held high after a good fight rather than advance as a cheater and have a tarnished reputation that stays for life
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Argentina will win. They got a hand of god(maradona) and a feet of god(messi)

    I doubt i'd handball tho. Its just unfair to the opponent and disrespectful to the game. I'd rather go out with my head held high after a good fight rather than advance as a cheater and have a tarnished reputation that stays for life
    As I expect, there will be some that will play by the rules.

  6. #6

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    As I expect, there will be some that will play by the rules.
    I'd do a john terry instead. Diving header block
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  7. #7
    Member Jimmy81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    1,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    He did wat was needed to preserve his country's chances of advancing to the next round but Ghana didn't take their chances.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    I'd do a john terry instead. Diving header block
    The circumstances does not allow for that. It is either using hands or allowing the goal.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    I suppose this will be our Hands of God in CS:

    Last edited by Sion; 3rd July 2010 at 01:56 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I personally think that Saurez is a hero. He kept a national's dream alive. But others labelled him as a cheat. I wonder how many Singaporeans will actually perform a self sacrificing act.

    - will you just let the ball go in . (play by the rules/law abiding).
    - do not have the instinct to use your hands to stop the ball (dunno how to cheat/law abiding)
    - don't want to miss the semi final so won't use hand (self-fish/no brain)
    - don't want to create controversy or be called a cheat (play safe/avert risk)
    I think he is a hero too. he is doing it for his country man, he probably doesn give a damn what others will say of him. ( but it will be pretty screwed up for the audience if everyone starts doing it in world cup )

    Messi needs to start taking crack to get to the level of Maradona to do something like a Hand Of God again ..

  11. #11

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    I saw the match. To call him a cheat might be too strong a word if what he did was instinct, but he is defnintely not a hero.

    That was a certain goal until he blocked it with his hands. Awarding a penalty does not constitute a fair consequence because there is still an element of uncertainity in scoring.

    Not a bad trade off I would say, exchanging something certain for something uncertain in this context.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    I saw the match. To call him a cheat might be too strong a word if what he did was instinct, but he is defnintely not a hero.

    That was a certain goal until he blocked it with his hands. Awarding a penalty does not constitute a fair consequence because there is still an element of uncertainity in scoring.

    Not a bad trade off I would say, exchanging something certain for something uncertain in this context.
    I think that is a very quick comprehension of what needs to be done to keep his team's chances intact. Which is to say any moment of hesitation would have meant a certain goal. So in the back of his head, he knows that he will have to prevent the goal at all cost. Of course the rule of the game meant that it change the situation from 100% failure into a 50%. That is the football side of things.

    What I am interested is the human side of things. As Singaporeans, we are always being labelled as kiasu, kiasi, kiamsup. Do you think a Singaporean, under such circumstance, before stretching his hands will think, better not leh wait hor like this like that....are Singaporeans losing their survival instinct?

  13. #13

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Frankly speakin i do not understand y he's label a cheat and y the outcry from the whole world.

    Its soccer and u play to win. How many times we've seen the last man pull down the striker when he's clear on to goal. How many times have a keeper pull a man down just to ensure that he wont b able to score. Millions of times. Did anyone call them a cheat.

    Wat he did is basically to ensure tat e ball doesnt go in. Instinct i believe. Ghana got the penalty, he got a red card. Justice was served. Ghana failed to score, u blamed Saurez for it.

  14. #14
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Guess I'll be among the first to think otherwise ... sportsmanship has been thrown out of the window ...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Guess I'll be among the first to think otherwise ... sportsmanship has been thrown out of the window ...
    Agreed~!

  16. #16

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    To Uruguay, he is a national hero.
    To Ghana, he is a cheater.
    To me, it just a game.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    He play the beautiful game.
    Leica M 35/50 Summilux

  18. #18
    Member rTwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Smackdown Boulevard
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    what about the dream of Africa?

    for this case, the punishment was definitely not befitting the violation, since having a man less would have made no difference whatsoever.

    the ball was certainly goal-bound and surely would've been the game-winning goal, thus the 'last man pulling the striker down' argument doesn't apply.

    this is sport, so values like sportsmanship should be upheld. life, on the other hand, is a different story, so there shouldn't be a comparison.
    Last edited by rTwin; 3rd July 2010 at 03:39 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    If this is to be allowed, then why not have a few people line up along the goal, then the rest go up and attack?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: The new Hands of God - Luis Saurez

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    If this is to be allowed, then why not have a few people line up along the goal, then the rest go up and attack?
    do you think this is a good strategy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •