Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    521

    Default LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    I'm looking to buy a compact camera with a bright 24mm end and the LX3 really fits the bill. It will be replacing a spoiling Panasonic FX-something that has a really screwy shutter button

    The only problem is that this is quite old (by digital standards), and I expect a LX4/5 to come up pretty soon.

    Would you buy an LX3 now if you wanted one? I would like to hear your thoughts!
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

  2. #2

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Why don't you buy the Samsung EX1, which is touted as "LX3 killer" and only released early this year?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    I did seriously consider that, but the weight will not be suitable for my Dad who likes to put the camera in his pocket.

    If I were buying it for myself, I wouldn't mind the EX1 though

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Why don't you buy the Samsung EX1, which is touted as "LX3 killer" and only released early this year?
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

  4. #4
    Member ireallydontlikepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second Last Stop of East Side
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Depends on your need and usage.
    If for your dad - you need pro-sumer type or normal P&S will do?
    You need your replacement camera NOW urgently?
    ....
    Like previous threads, we don't know when LX4 not to mentioned before LX5 will be out.
    So its really easy to firm down with an answer.

    I thought of waiting for LX4 to come out so that LX3 will drop price then i buy LX3 haha
    that was like FEB 2010 ...

    now still sama sama leh ....

    rumors of LX4 was out last yr already ...


    So .. still narrow down your priorities maybe u can decide?
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    He requires the 24mm, so that's quite fixed.
    I was looking at prosumer cameras like the LX3 since I could use it when he's not looking... But in all honesty, he takes photos very often, and often in low light so I didn't want small 1/2.33" sensors and f/3.3 lenses that pop up on every other P&S.

    I meant the LX4/5 because the Japanese has this thing about the number 4, which is linked to death (IIRC). That's why the new Olympus E-x should be E-5 instead of E-4, but I digress.

    I just don't want to buy a LX3 and out comes the new model.
    Murphy's Law does has its way of showing up when you least want it to

    Quote Originally Posted by ireallydontlikepink View Post
    Depends on your need and usage.
    If for your dad - you need pro-sumer type or normal P&S will do?
    You need your replacement camera NOW urgently?
    ....
    Like previous threads, we don't know when LX4 not to mentioned before LX5 will be out.
    So its really easy to firm down with an answer.

    I thought of waiting for LX4 to come out so that LX3 will drop price then i buy LX3 haha
    that was like FEB 2010 ...

    now still sama sama leh ....

    rumors of LX4 was out last yr already ...


    So .. still narrow down your priorities maybe u can decide?
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

  6. #6
    Member ireallydontlikepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second Last Stop of East Side
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel0ng View Post
    He requires the 24mm, so that's quite fixed.
    I was looking at prosumer cameras like the LX3 since I could use it when he's not looking... But in all honesty, he takes photos very often, and often in low light so I didn't want small 1/2.33" sensors and f/3.3 lenses that pop up on every other P&S.

    I meant the LX4/5 because the Japanese has this thing about the number 4, which is linked to death (IIRC). That's why the new Olympus E-x should be E-5 instead of E-4, but I digress.

    I just don't want to buy a LX3 and out comes the new model.
    Murphy's Law does has its way of showing up when you least want it to
    OIC ...
    Hmm then how?
    ask you dad to tahan till LX4/5 come out?
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

  7. #7

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    get the lx3....it's for u're dad, i'm sure he'll be happy....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel0ng View Post
    I did seriously consider that, but the weight will not be suitable for my Dad who likes to put the camera in his pocket.

    If I were buying it for myself, I wouldn't mind the EX1 though
    In that case, I would suggest you to consider the Canon S90. It's definitely more pocketable than the LX3

  9. #9

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    for the price of $600 ++ for a new set and consider it a 2 year old model. its best to hold the horses. News for Lx4 should be out around Aug time. Wait for that time. If can't wait but still want Lx3, go BnS and get a 2nd hand if you don't mind a 'use' set. S90 seem a nice cam but if you considering Samsung Ex1, I suggest you go and feel, do some test shoots and view from PC .. then you decided want to get it or not.

    The Truth is ... Wait for Lx4 .. :P

  10. #10

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Look at the Lumix owner tread you see many getting LX 3.

    Rumours seem to be going on for ages.......

    Even if the LX4/5 is out tomorrow, will you be getting it straight away?

    It'll take time to come to your shore, a month or two. Then there's the price, will it be within your budget?

    Last, the most important, can the successor be better than LX3?

  11. #11
    Member ireallydontlikepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second Last Stop of East Side
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by paisatge View Post
    In that case, I would suggest you to consider the Canon S90. It's definitely more pocketable than the LX3
    totally agreed with you
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    for the price of $600 ++ for a new set and consider it a 2 year old model. its best to hold the horses. News for Lx4 should be out around Aug time. Wait for that time. If can't wait but still want Lx3, go BnS and get a 2nd hand if you don't mind a 'use' set. S90 seem a nice cam but if you considering Samsung Ex1, I suggest you go and feel, do some test shoots and view from PC .. then you decided want to get it or not.

    The Truth is ... Wait for Lx4 .. :P
    The camera's a present from my first pay Although I guess he wouldn't mind a carefully second camera, I wonder whether it's proper as a present that's all. I have a special liking to the LX series, as I bought the LX1 when it first came out and really enjoyed it.

    I honestly think that the S90 may be overhyped though, the large f/2 aperture quickly drops to f/4 and beyond when the zoom is activated, which is a real turn-off. The EX-1 is the my only real alternative to the LX3 when considering "bright" options, ignoring size, weight, and handling.

    But then again, the LX4 may not be as good as the LX3 spec. wise, who knows?!

    Quote Originally Posted by KiichiroToyoda View Post
    Look at the Lumix owner tread you see many getting LX 3.

    Rumours seem to be going on for ages.......

    Even if the LX4/5 is out tomorrow, will you be getting it straight away?

    It'll take time to come to your shore, a month or two. Then there's the price, will it be within your budget?

    Last, the most important, can the successor be better than LX3?
    Yup I may not get it right away, there's always a risk for early adopters and I've never liked the idea (and damage of the wallet ).

    But when the LX3 successor comes out, this would definitely drive prices for LX3 - used or new, down. Wouldn't it suck to have the price of your purchase drop by a $100 or more just overnight?

    Quote Originally Posted by paisatge View Post
    In that case, I would suggest you to consider the Canon S90. It's definitely more pocketable than the LX3
    Yup it is. I've used my friend's S90 on many occasions and it sure is small (esp. compared to DSLRs). However I've had problems with the ergonomics of that camera, with my right thumb turning wheels and pressing buttons that I didn't intend to. I expect my Dad to have the same problem as our hands are largely similar
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

  13. #13

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel0ng View Post
    Yup I may not get it right away, there's always a risk for early adopters and I've never liked the idea (and damage of the wallet ).

    But when the LX3 successor comes out, this would definitely drive prices for LX3 - used or new, down. Wouldn't it suck to have the price of your purchase drop by a $100 or more just overnight?
    For all you know, the price might work the other way, knowing LX4/5 coming out, dealers might not be stocking them or manufacturer might EOL them. And there'll be fans looking for it, the price might not drop? Who knows?
    What happen if the successor sucks? Then it would become a hard to find thing. What happens when another camera comes out and betters the LX4/5, regret again? This is an endless cycle.....

    From 1st pay check? ..think if your dad will treat the present as a treasure..regardless what is it. $100~ is worth the priceless memories he'll be snapping pictures with it!

    Alternately, there are other camera around.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by KiichiroToyoda View Post
    For all you know, the price might work the other way, knowing LX4/5 coming out, dealers might not be stocking them or manufacturer might EOL them. And there'll be fans looking for it, the price might not drop? Who knows?
    What happen if the successor sucks? Then it would become a hard to find thing. What happens when another camera comes out and betters the LX4/5, regret again? This is an endless cycle.....

    From 1st pay check? ..think if your dad will treat the present as a treasure..regardless what is it. $100~ is worth the priceless memories he'll be snapping pictures with it!

    Alternately, there are other camera around.
    Haha if LX3 turns out to be like some Leica-like legend that grows more expensive with time... I'll be in for a ride Yup it's endless when it comes to electronics, can't solve the equation with a degree of freedom hanging (engineering speak), but I guess it's a need=buy-and-don't-wait situation more than anything right?

    I sure do hopes he likes it! Only afraid that he finds it too big, returns it to me (he's capable of doing such things) and buys himself another smaller camera Then I'll be stuck with a DSLR and compact (which I wouldn't mind if it was a gift, but!).

    Only time will tell then, guess it's time to scour the town for a good deal! Will use the other price tracking threads as a guide Wish me luck
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

  15. #15

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel0ng View Post
    Haha if LX3 turns out to be like some Leica-like legend that grows more expensive with time... I'll be in for a ride Yup it's endless when it comes to electronics, can't solve the equation with a degree of freedom hanging (engineering speak), but I guess it's a need=buy-and-don't-wait situation more than anything right?

    I sure do hopes he likes it! Only afraid that he finds it too big, returns it to me (he's capable of doing such things) and buys himself another smaller camera Then I'll be stuck with a DSLR and compact (which I wouldn't mind if it was a gift, but!).

    Only time will tell then, guess it's time to scour the town for a good deal! Will use the other price tracking threads as a guide Wish me luck
    I'm hoping it does grow with time! Yes, need=buy !

    The LX3 is a "little" big to be put in your straight cut jean or pant..unless they are very loose cut.

    Good luck!

  16. #16

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Hard lah. You see how many ppl throwing lx3 in BNS compare to Leica. With samsung EX1 out now, the price of 2nd now sell as low as $450. But frankly lx3 still going strong even it's 2year old. Lol

  17. #17

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Basically, what matter is your gift to your dad. Any camera you give to him, he will sure treasure it. But since it is your first pay, you have to get when you have your first pay (right?)
    So go on, give him any camera you think your dad will like the most and within your budget.
    Be it LX-3 or S90, he will sure love it.
    For me, I'm holding on to my LX-3. Still a lot more to explore

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Born in KK hospital
    Posts
    685

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Buy leica X1, look and image quality sure better than LX3 and its compact too.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    Hard lah. You see how many ppl throwing lx3 in BNS compare to Leica. With samsung EX1 out now, the price of 2nd now sell as low as $450. But frankly lx3 still going strong even it's 2year old. Lol
    I for one will not buy a Leica for my Dad, don't see the point when it won't be appreciated! $450 is a good price, but I doubt many sellers will be willing to part at that price.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonychua View Post
    Basically, what matter is your gift to your dad. Any camera you give to him, he will sure treasure it. But since it is your first pay, you have to get when you have your first pay (right?)
    So go on, give him any camera you think your dad will like the most and within your budget.
    Be it LX-3 or S90, he will sure love it.
    For me, I'm holding on to my LX-3. Still a lot more to explore
    Yup, which means I have to get it soon

    Glad to hear that you're spending quality time with your LX3!

    Quote Originally Posted by Canto View Post
    Buy leica X1, look and image quality sure better than LX3 and its compact too.
    Would you spend S$4k on the Leica if you were in my shoes?
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

  20. #20

    Default Re: LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

    you just post "want to buy" you never know who will reply you. There is always a saying, sell when its still got value, if not use it till it break down. So knowing how SG ppl think, even at $450, its still money .. better then letting it go to waste or further drop of price. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •