Thread: Why Do you take pictures?

Default Why Do you take pictures?

I am quite interested to understand why most of the folks here take pictures?
    I personally take pictures to record memories and events that involve my love ones and nature shots to study the behavior of insects and animals. I know I will appreciate them coz they mean something to me.

I see alot of people interested in shooting potraits and events that may not mean anything to them but shoot for the sake of shooting. Whenever there is an event, they jump at it. And when you ask them why they shoot it, they say they shoot because they like to shoot.

I pondered for a while and ask myself this question. Wouldn't that be pointless if the pictures were shot for no reasons and just for keep sake? I mean after a few months/years, I'll feel I've wasted my time. I can understand if its for career sake or a dedicated purpose. But to shoot because just like to shoot, seems strange.

Don't flame me pls. I'm just curious to find out the psychological mind state of the people here in CS.

So you mean you got no hobby?

Why keep Fish? They die after a while.

Why Keep Ultraman toys? You'll outgrow them sooner or later.

Why travel overseas? They're just memories after you come back.

Ever wondered what your life will be without them?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality

Well I keep fish coz they help my mind relax. I keep Ultra toys coz I sell them on ebay to generate bits of income and travel overseas so that I can take back memories of the place. I do agree that life should contain some hobbies. But just that even as a hobby, there has to be some purpose or end state. Whenever, we embark on anything, there usually is a purpose. I suppose this is the same with hobbies as well. We hope to achieve something out of a hobby. If it is without either, It just feels strange.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality

Be nice lah
    He just wanted to know

For me currently because of the interest in the trade. (skill, technicality, equipment, style, even secondhand market)
    In the long term maybe getting good enough in it to be able to make money out of it
    For now, it is a hobby that sometimes comes in handy in certain situation, but mostly drain my pockets (which hobby doesn't do that anyway?? )

So taking many pictures of things for me (portraits, still life, events, etc) are parts of "practice makes perfect"

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tbteng
    Well I keep fish coz they help my mind relax. I keep Ultra toys coz I sell them on ebay to generate bits of income and travel overseas so that I can take back memories of the place. I do agree that life should contain some hobbies. But just that even as a hobby, there has to be some purpose or end state. Whenever, we embark on anything, there usually is a purpose. I suppose this is the same with hobbies as well. We hope to achieve something out of a hobby. If it is without either, It just feels strange.
    Sometimes, the purpose of shooting may not be so obvious...

Personally, I enjoy shooting as a hobby because it brings a few joys into my life:

Joy 1: Seeing nice photos as the end product (well, there's not economic for financial returns from them cos' I dun use them for a living, but it doesn't matter to me )

Joy 2: I enjoy the process of shooting... It may be the process of waiting for a sunrise... It may be the process of waiting for the spectacular fireworks at Tanjong Rhu... It may also be the process of feeling the adrenalin running thru your body while covering an event... It's simply state of mind that I'll go thru when shooting... it's somewhat relaxing to me...

Joy 3: That I could share nice photos and great moments with my friends... It's the bonding that shooting brings along...

I know there are anglers who fish and later release the fish back into the waters just because they enjoy the process of fishing... Maybe that's what I'm after too...

Is this good enough a "purpose"?
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

So i can deprive all budding photographers of ideas and hopes. HAHA. No i'm kidding..

basically take pictures to capture the things in life.. To develop certain worthy skills, to show off my works (not kidding), to serve as a safety net should i not be able to find a job in the future, to spend time, basically, a Hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Be nice lah
    He just wanted to know
    Haha... maybe it's becoz I just woke up...

Peace!

I pondered for a while and ask myself this question. Wouldn't that be pointless if the pictures were shot for no reasons and just for keep sake? I mean after a few months/years, I'll feel I've wasted my time.
    Same as your fishes lah...
    your fishes helps you relax.
    our cameras help us get excited.
    but after the whole event (fishes died, pictures faded), it's all back to reality.

To test cameras, especially the new digital cameras, then argue about which is better.

1. firstly it started off with really learnign the basics of photography

2. well, i learned pretty fast ;-) from then on it became a pasttime of playing with canon EOS hightech toys together with and chasing skirts and shooting glam events and street shots and artyfarty abstracts

3. so its partly for art, partly for fun ^_^

got nothing better to do ....

i think you dont quite get the meaning of interest.

its our passion to shoot, our pleasure, our interest and nothing can stop us.
    wasting time? no. we're not wasting time. if you dont shoot more or u only shoot for events or blah blah. you think u can learn more then those who usually shoot? no flaming

shoot more, learn more, see more, expreience more, what you get in the end? knowledge and memories that no others else can take it away from you.
    "I want to have the best camera in the world and shoot XMMs."

Talking

To capture that special moment.
    For beautiful scenery.

To me, the process of shooting is just as rewarding as seeing the end photographic product. It just feels shiok to look through the viewfinder or to press the shutter....

Deregistered

If you need a reason to do things.. you're just being a robot programmed to do so... JUST SHOOT FIRST TALK LATER!!!

Mainly to exercise the forefinger.

I see alot of people interested in shooting potraits and events that may not mean anything to them but shoot for the sake of shooting. Whenever there is an event, they jump at it. And when you ask them why they shoot it, they say they shoot because they like to shoot.
    Ooi, dun like dat leh!
    They like to shoot because they like to shoot? Maybe you should dig deeper.
    I shoot because I like beautiful women.