Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast

Thread: Android users unite!

Default Re: Android users unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    A note to those of you choosing between a Desire or a Galaxy S. The multitouch sensor of the Galaxy S is the newer maxTouch sensor which works ALOT better than the ones found in the Desire. HTC has only begun to use the maxTouch sensor in their EVO 4G I think.
    Wah now I confused again. So which one is better, Desire or Galaxy S? Or maybe I should ask, which is the best Android phone now (discounting those not available in Singapore)?

galaxy s.... the super amoled display is really really good.... the hardware is actually quite solid... if you want a bigger screeen wait for the droid x.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Wah now I confused again. So which one is better, Desire or Galaxy S? Or maybe I should ask, which is the best Android phone now (discounting those not available in Singapore)?
    Here is a nice smackdown comparison
    Seems like the Galaxy has an edge over Desire. But according to an Omnia user friend of mine, Samsung's aftermarket support leaves much to be Desired.

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Seems like the Galaxy has an edge over Desire. But according to an Omnia user friend of mine, Samsung's aftermarket support leaves much to be Desired.

ryan
    To be frank, HTC is neither anywhere better or can be even worse at time for their customer services as compare to Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post

ryan
    Thanks ryan for the nice comparison table. The Galaxy S does look very impressive over the Desire, at least from the specs! And it has bundled in doc editor for Words/Excel, which is exactly what I need. Hmm... very tempting.

Oh one question for the Galaxy S users: can this phone be charged via the micro USB cable? This is a must have feature for me, as I want it capable of charging from any USB port. Thanks.

Oh one question for the Galaxy S users: can this phone be charged via the micro USB cable? This is a must have feature for me, as I want it capable of charging from any USB port. Thanks.
    All the modern phones use the microusb as the charger, and it will charge when connected to any PC/Mac.
    Alpha

Ok... just bought a Samsung Galaxy S at Singtel shop. Now playing with it and searching for all the interesting apps to install. The user interface not as nice as the HTC sense, and it lacks the track ball, but the phone is quite good and I'm very happy with it. Hope to find some nice theme to customize the home screen.

I sold my iPhone 3GS 32 GB for S$650 and bought a HTC Desire 2 weeks ago.

So far happy with my new toy, except that the inbuilt memory to store apps are very limited. Waiting for Android 2.2 to overcome this limitation.

Ok... just bought a Samsung Galaxy S at Singtel shop. Now playing with it and searching for all the interesting apps to install. The user interface not as nice as the HTC sense, and it lacks the track ball, but the phone is quite good and I'm very happy with it. Hope to find some nice theme to customize the home screen.
    Got some recommendations...go try try, dunno if you will like them though

-Touchpal to replace stock keyboard (i have some serious troubles typing with the stock keyboard)
    -LauncherPro to replace home screen (very snappy, seldom / no lags, in fact performs much better than Pantheon, and now it shows unread sms/missed calls counter)
    -Handcent SMS for SMS (can customise pop-ups for incoming messages & makes my messaging app look like the iphone)
    mSpot for syncing music
    -Netcounter to track my 3G usage so my bills won't give me unwanted surprises
    -Advanced Task Killer Free to free memory space
    -Astro for file manager
    -Aldiko as e-book reader
    -Appbrain to replace Android Market
    -Calwidget so I can see my calender on the homescreen
    -Thinkfree Mobile to view documents
    -Adobe Reader for reading pdf files
    -Lookout for anti-virus / backup

I prefer:
    SmartKeyboard Pro
    HelixLauncher
    ChompSMS
    Mort music player.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nirenj View Post
    I sold my iPhone 3GS 32 GB for S$650 and bought a HTC Desire 2 weeks ago.

So far happy with my new toy, except that the inbuilt memory to store apps are very limited. Waiting for Android 2.2 to overcome this limitation.
    Ya... same for the Galaxy S. Not sure what that means, but it has 13.4GB "Internal SD card", and I added another 8GB micro SD which shows up in the "External SD card". So far all the apps I installed went into "Internal phone storage" and none uses the other 2 storage. And the "Internal phone storage" is filling up fast, now left with 1.72GB.

Oh btw, how do you find the Android when compare to the iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Got some recommendations...go try try, dunno if you will like them though

-Touchpal to replace stock keyboard (i have some serious troubles typing with the stock keyboard)
    -LauncherPro to replace home screen (very snappy, seldom / no lags, in fact performs much better than Pantheon, and now it shows unread sms/missed calls counter)
    -Handcent SMS for SMS (can customise pop-ups for incoming messages & makes my messaging app look like the iphone)
    mSpot for syncing music
    -Netcounter to track my 3G usage so my bills won't give me unwanted surprises
    -Advanced Task Killer Free to free memory space
    -Astro for file manager
    -Aldiko as e-book reader
    -Appbrain to replace Android Market
    -Calwidget so I can see my calender on the homescreen
    -Thinkfree Mobile to view documents
    -Adobe Reader for reading pdf files
    -Lookout for anti-virus / backup
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I prefer:
    SmartKeyboard Pro
    HelixLauncher
    ChompSMS
    Mort music player.
    Thanks for the app list, will definitely take a look. So far I had installed:
    - RealCalc, All-in-1-Calc Free
    - Depth of Field Calculator, Strawberry
    - Unit Converter for Android, Convertos
    - Barcode Scanner
    - Sms Backup & Restore
    - Asphalt5, Solitaire, Abduction!, Air Control, Frozen Bubble, Gem Miner

Transferring of the contacts from WM6 to Android got some problems though. All contacts were transferred, but the groupings were lost, and think I need to regroup them again.
    Last edited by ziploc; 6th July 2010 at 04:34 PM.

What GPS softwares u guys use for the androids ? The native Google Navigtor looks great but it needs continuous data to load the map. I saw a review on Copilot that behaves pretty much like a Garmin interface with maps loaded onto the SD card but not sure if it has support for Singapore maps.

Nice. the Galaxy S sports a Samsung Hummingbird 1Ghz processor that supposedly is almost 4x more powerful than Qualcomm's Snapdragon 1GHz processor when it comes to graphics performance.

ryan

I also installed a couple of the following which can be gotten from Android Market:

- ShowNearby ( tells u wats interesting around the locality after they fix your gps location )
    The updated version tells you where u can watch World Cup - but abit too late since now we can watch from the free telecast.
    - Dropbox
    - Advance Task Killer
    - Shazam - listens to the songs at the background for instance in a restaurant etc, and attempts to identify. I got it to ID some new chinese songs as well
    - Handcent SMS
    - Opera Mini
    - Launcher Pro ( as recommeded by fellow android users )
    - 3 - a rather cuboid showy music player, but i kinda like it for now
    - Cinema Showtimes
    - Beautiful Widgets

ryan

Since you are using the Galaxy S, try to get use to the Swype keyboard. It's damn good.

Photo Tools - Handy calculator for photography purposes (Sunny 16, DOF, Flash EV and even a grey card simulator!)

Armored Strike - A Gun Bound like game that has multiplayer.

Dolphin Browser HD - Awesome browser, much better than stock!

ShowNearBy - Local location aware application. Shows you nearest ATM etc etc

Wow! Just found out the Galaxy S can do video out to TV via the 3.5mm headphone jack. Unfortunately the cable is not included, and I have no idea where to buy the cable.

http://androidandme.com/2010/07/news...-headset-jack/

Love this phone.

Using a Desire here, not a bad phone especially after rooting it. Seems more useful after that especially with its wireless tether. The wired tethering application is the only app i use most of the time.
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

Wow! Just found out the Galaxy S can do video out to TV via the 3.5mm headphone jack. Unfortunately the cable is not included, and I have no idea where to buy the cable.

http://androidandme.com/2010/07/news...-headset-jack/

Love this phone.
    Nice. i dun think they advertised much about this. There were some lousy ebay sellers selling proclaimed N1 TV out jack that does not output video at all. Hope it becomes a standard feature in subsequent releases.

ryan

For those who have the Galaxy S and interested in the video out feature, I just discovered that someone had got it working with Nokia's CA-75U composite cable.

Video Missing

Here is the pinout of the cable for those who would like to make their own cable.

Let me add another android app that i just installed - Market Enabler. Version 3.0.8 works for Froyo

Now the interesting paid applications appear
    ( haven bought anything yet though )

ryan

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast