Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast

Thread: Android users unite!

Default Re: Android users unite!

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Mine's a rooted phone too, I don't see my MMS enabled under APN settings, but I don't use MMS, so yeah...Never took a look at these settings before I rooted my phone though, so can't compare. Perhaps you could try flashing an original firmware and see what happens to the APN settings?
    I see. Even if I flash an original firmware, I doubt I'll get the Singtel APN settings, since the firmware available online isn't configured by Singtel like the one that came with the phone.

Try the mms settings i've posted earlier. Just add the 2nd APN that is not selectable, and you should be able to enable MMS.

Hmm... Can you post your APN settings anyway?

I'm getting a rather slow 3g data speed. Where it almost seems to be intermittent. ie. it doesn't load for seconds, then suddenly loads and stops and loads, and so on...

Was wondering if it's Singtel's network that's slow or if it's my APN settings.

So, can you post your APN settings please?
    Last edited by SeAnCoLd; 9th August 2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Sean

First one:
    Name: IDEAS
    APN: e-ideas
    Authentication type: not set

Second one:
    Name: IDEAS MMS
    MMSC: http://mms.singtel.com:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: 165.21.42.84
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMS Protocol: non-existent (don't even see this option in my APN settings)
    Authentication Type: not set
    APN type: mms

After trying your settings, mine is still not selectable.
    Last edited by brapodam; 9th August 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks man. I tried "authentication type: none" as well. No difference. Still as bad. Hmm... Seems like its Singtel 3g data network thats slow. I'm getting download speeds of ard 0.60Mb/s, upload speeds of a ridiculous 0.01Mb/s and 700ms ping on www.speedtest.net

Hope someone with an non-rooted (not jail-broken) singtel android phone can post their APN settings here for reference.

The mms APN setting is not supposed to be selectable. As long as its there and correctly entered, mms should work.

First one:
    Name: IDEAS
    Authentication type: not set

Second one:
    Name: IDEAS MMS
    MMSC: http://mms.singtel.com:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: 165.21.42.84
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMS Protocol: non-existent (don't even see this option in my APN settings)
    Authentication Type: not set
    APN type: mms

After trying your settings, mine is still not selectable.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeAnCoLd View Post
    Thanks man. I tried "authentication type: none" as well. No difference. Still as bad. Hmm... Seems like its Singtel 3g data network thats slow. I'm getting download speeds of ard 0.60Mb/s, upload speeds of a ridiculous 0.01Mb/s and 700ms ping on www.speedtest.net

Hope someone with an non-rooted (not jail-broken) singtel android phone can post their APN settings here for reference.

The mms APN setting is not supposed to be selectable. As long as its there and correctly entered, mms should work.
    How do you access speedtest.net on your phone? It tells me to get Flash or download Google Chrome...

How do you access speedtest.net on your phone? It tells me to get Flash or download Google Chrome...
    Froyo comes with Flash10.1. It just showed in my browser. I'm using Dolphin Browser HD
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeAnCoLd View Post
    Froyo comes with Flash10.1. It just showed in my browser. I'm using Dolphin Browser HD
    Oh well I'm still running Eclair, developers have yet to find a way to get audio working for Froyo on my phone, since Samsung doesn't really seem to release their sources fully.

Grand-daddy Android running 2.2 (G1 on CM6 08/10 Nightly) here. Still waiting for a phone that has a 5-row keyboard, a processor that doesn't suck (Snapdragon doesn't cut it. Hummingbird can like run circles around it) and a big screen (3.5" or above).

Guess I can always dream. xD

Oh well I'm still running Eclair, developers have yet to find a way to get audio working for Froyo on my phone, since Samsung doesn't really seem to release their sources fully.
    Speedtest has an app on the market. No need to go through the website.

Quote Originally Posted by alfredlau View Post
    Grand-daddy Android running 2.2 (G1 on CM6 08/10 Nightly) here. Still waiting for a phone that has a 5-row keyboard, a processor that doesn't suck (Snapdragon doesn't cut it. Hummingbird can like run circles around it) and a big screen (3.5" or above).

Guess I can always dream. xD
    Then will be Samsung Epic 4G aka the previously coded Galaxy S Pro

Hummingbird processor , 4 inch screen, full Qwerty keyboard
    I like the keyboard concept as well. means more screen space esp for landscape mode

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Then will be Samsung Epic 4G aka the previously coded Galaxy S Pro

Hummingbird processor , 4 inch screen, full Qwerty keyboard
    I like the keyboard concept as well. means more screen space esp for landscape mode

ryan
    Seems nice

I expected Samsung to remove the horrible TW which does not do justice to the hardware they put in their phones. Seems I am mistaken.

But you can simply use a 3rd party launcher like LauncherPro right? Samsung is not like HTC which locks you into Sense.

Hopefully this phone will be available in Singapore. Looking at the S Pro and the HTC Vision (codename), both are super phones with slide out keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    But you can simply use a 3rd party launcher like LauncherPro right? Samsung is not like HTC which locks you into Sense.

Hopefully this phone will be available in Singapore. Looking at the S Pro and the HTC Vision (codename), both are super phones with slide out keyboard.
    Yes! My SGS is currently using ADW as the launcher.

I did not know the UI for HTC is locked, I did not even know the manufacturer can lock the choice of launcher.

I did remember a little report once that some people tried to use LauncherPro/ADW and couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post

Yes you can, but it's better if the stock launcher works well and makes your phone feel like it has a 1GHz processor and not a 128Mhz one. Also, Sense is so nice and good that people want to port it onto their non-HTC phones. There is not much reason to use an alternate launcher really, if you have a HTC phone.

Dell Thunder

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/d...creen-promise/

I wonder if it will deliver. Anyhow the design looks rather great, though i would not have liked that DELL at the back

And here is Droid 2 advert on youtube that looks almost like the terminator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQRu-kVzJIE&hd=1

ryan

just got my free phone.

don't like it...don't have the flaxibility i used to have on windows mobile.

but well...it's free...
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post

just got my free phone.

don't like it...don't have the flaxibility i used to have on windows mobile.

but well...it's free...
    Well what do you lose? Maybe we can help, there are lots of useful apps on the market. By the way download Launcherpro or ADW Launcher to replace Pantheon (your current one), and you'll find the performance is at least 5x better.

Well what do you lose? Maybe we can help, there are lots of useful apps on the market. By the way download Launcherpro or ADW Launcher to replace Pantheon (your current one), and you'll find the performance is at least 5x better.
    actually got a few things i dont like.

1: you know the top status bar? on windows mobile, if i click on the small icon, i can control the volume, the data connection, the battery info and etc..but on andriod it doesn't give much info or the flexibility to control the item i want.

2: windows mobile is from microsoft, so synchronize with my PC is a breeze, no hassle, which is what I need . since this is a work phone, i would like to synchronize with my outlook and open word or excel and pdf without additional installation. i am still trying how to synchorize my andriod with my PC.

3: the calculator is too simple, only +-= / ...

4: dont have memo/notepad? tasks? i need all these man...my stuff all in exchange server, so will be nice if i can sync with andriod.

10 years ago i am using Palm OS, then i moved to windows mobile. i fall in love with WM coz it is so user friendly, dont have to install un-necessary thing like palm os to get myself started. now Andriod reminds me of Palm OS..

maybe it is user problem, which i am still learning. but i am not keen in downloading software and utility un-necessary, i expect phone company should have at least provide the user the MOST basic things.
    Objection !!!

1: you know the top status bar? on windows mobile, if i click on the small icon, i can control the volume, the data connection, the battery info and etc..but on andriod it doesn't give much info or the flexibility to control the item i want.
    Android has something similar, it's called extended controls widget, it's a paid app on the market and so we can't purchase it in SG, but if you are resourceful...

It's the bar thingy, I've made mine so it controls wifi, GPS, autosync, vibrate (with silent mode), brightness and battery (click on the battery to see what's eating up the battery). There are many more settings, like toggling between 2G/3G networks, enable/disable data network, bluetooth, autorotate, airplane mode, media scanner, stay awake, screen timeout time, autolock, screen always on, toggle mass storage and reboot. Very useful widget imo.
    2: windows mobile is from microsoft, so synchronize with my PC is a breeze, no hassle, which is what I need . since this is a work phone, i would like to synchronize with my outlook and open word or excel and pdf without additional installation. i am still trying how to synchorize my andriod with my PC.
    Try Dropbox, it's probably not as fast, but it works. Syncs files between multiple computers and phones automatically whenever you save your files. For mobile devices, you need to download/upload the files manually, or you'll just eat up your data usage.

3: the calculator is too simple, only +-= / ...
    There are many Calculator apps on the Market available for free, and the stock calculator has some advanced functions like trig and log functions. Need to press menu>advanced panel

4: dont have memo/notepad? tasks? i need all these man...my stuff all in exchange server, so will be nice if i can sync with andriod.
    GTasks works great for me, syncs with Google Account, and can put widget on homescreen. That's what happens when you buy a phone with a Google OS what...you use your Google account to sync stuff

10 years ago i am using Palm OS, then i moved to windows mobile. i fall in love with WM coz it is so user friendly, dont have to install un-necessary thing like palm os to get myself started. now Andriod reminds me of Palm OS..

maybe it is user problem, which i am still learning. but i am not keen in downloading software and utility un-necessary, i expect phone company should have at least provide the user the MOST basic things.
    I have a friend like that too, he's afraid of installing anything because they require special permissions and all that, but most of the apps available should be pretty safe. I have Lookout Mobile Security on my phone, it scans all apps for viruses when you install them. You just need to get over the fear of installing apps, and Android should work great. Besides, it's faster than WinMo I believe.
    Last edited by brapodam; 14th August 2010 at 07:26 PM.

I'm exactly the opposite. I can't stand WM but absolutely love Android. And one of Android's main point is its configurability. It can be whatever you want it to be.

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast