Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbies need advise regarding 3rd party lens..

Blog Entries

Default Re: newbies need advise regarding 3rd party lens..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i agree that some of the TPL have problems. for example, the tamron 17-50 is big bang for buck, but if you are planning to use it for wedding photography, for example, the focusing will make you the centre of attention, i would think.
    Not so bad la bro. You should see weddings in the old days, those older lenses and cameras are much much louder. And the whirl of the flash refresh... those old speedlights are hella loud.

People generally accept sounds from cameras during weddings. It is sort of expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Call Zeiss also produces for Canon mount: http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B...25710E005F5A21 - they label it 'ZE'
    As a result, you can use the lens like any other Canon lens - only that you need to focus manually. Have a look into the Canon Price Guide for the numbers
    Alternatively, you can use manual lenses with M42 screw mount or Contax C/Y bayonet mount on Canon EOS cameras using the respective adapters. You can get them here in the forum or in certain camera shops (e.g. OP). But: all lenses will work only as full manual lenses, meaning: manual focusing, manual aperture setting. You can only use Av or M mode on Canon cameras.
    Thanks Octarine for the info. Will check out the URL.

well, you do get what you pay for, i'll be fair. it's just that it often comes at an exponential price.

singapore is a rare case where people are more than willing to pay big money for what they don't really need. there seems to be little cost-benefit analysis when it comes to purchase of lenses. granted, it's your money, but i think i am more than entitled to feel a bit sorrowful when i see a d3 user mucking around and producing shots that my grandmother could produce with a p&s. and there are lesser extents of this scenario, of course.

i agree that some of the TPL have problems. for example, the tamron 17-50 is big bang for buck, but if you are planning to use it for wedding photography, for example, the focusing will make you the centre of attention, i would think.

that said, you shouldn't just downright condemn TPL. for things like landscapes, 10-20mm for APS-C format has on-par performance and build quality with most of the original lenses. i don't see why you should miss considering it by handling the entire set of lenses because it has a brand on it.
    Perhaps Singapore has too many pixel-picker photography enthusiasts?

The Sigma 18-50 (non-HSM) that I have sometimes makes me the centre of attention with its noisy AF. It gets worse when ambient lights are too dim and the lens starts to hunt.

Coincidentally, I am comparing the reviews of Sigma 10-20mm and EFS 10-22mm to determine my next lens for landscape/cityscape

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Coincidentally, I am comparing the reviews of Sigma 10-20mm and EFS 10-22mm to determine my next lens for landscape/cityscape
    i can't really remember the 2, but i have compared them before for somebody.

the problem with the 10-20 is that you can no longer get it grey easily, because many people here in clubsnap have problem with OP bringing in grey sets. they didn't really like the option (probably because they not happy that people can get a better price than what they paid for), so they went around singing songs about this until now there is no longer such option.

the grey price for 10-20 was really damn shiok.

i can't really remember the 2, but i have compared them before for somebody.

the problem with the 10-20 is that you can no longer get it grey easily, because many people here in clubsnap have problem with OP bringing in grey sets. they didn't really like the option (probably because they not happy that people can get a better price than what they paid for), so they went around singing songs about this until now there is no longer such option.

the grey price for 10-20 was really damn shiok.
    Darn those complainants!

I've search around and found many forums and reviews comparing these two lenses. Too many lenses, too little money!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Darn those complainants!

I've search around and found many forums and reviews comparing these two lenses. Too many lenses, too little money!
    Or if you have a friend in USA for work or whatever, you can order the lens online and have it delivered to your friend. Sigma lenses are considerably cheaper in USA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12