Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sigma 50-500

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    just wondering... isn't it value for money considering the build quality and the optical quality of this lens? i think its really value for money considering it has that much zoom power in a single lens... Imagine buying the whole lot of primes in between...
    Agree that its good money. Don't agree that it's a substitute for a telephoto prime.

Read something from John Shaw once regarding zooms. Lets say you have a 28-105mm f4.5-5.6 zoom lens. Now, would you buy a 28mm f4.5 prime? A 105mm f5.6 prime? Most probably not. Then why would you buy a 28-105mm f4.5-5.6 zoom? Because of the convenience factor. Because of the price. Not because it's a direct substitute for a 28mm f2.8 prime or a 105mm f2.8 prime (though nowadays, this statement isn't necessarily true as pro zoom lens quality are right up there with primes)

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    Agree that its good money. Don't agree that it's a substitute for a telephoto prime.

Read something from John Shaw once regarding zooms. Lets say you have a 28-105mm f4.5-5.6 zoom lens. Now, would you buy a 28mm f4.5 prime? A 105mm f5.6 prime? Most probably not. Then why would you buy a 28-105mm f4.5-5.6 zoom? Because of the convenience factor. Because of the price. Not because it's a direct substitute for a 28mm f2.8 prime or a 105mm f2.8 prime (though nowadays, this statement isn't necessarily true as pro zoom lens quality are right up there with primes)
    sorry got u confused there... its true that primes are still the best (Usually...) its just that i was trying to say that the 50-500 adds somuch focal length convinience as u said compared to a whole range of primes... i go trekking a lot so i would want to lug around all that bulky lot of primes when this one can do and still give adequate opitical performance...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

zooms will never be a good substitute for primes in terms of optical quality and sharpness and aperture.

BUT zooms are a good substitute when it comes to convenience and weight.

esp this one.

haha

man man man nobody recommend me a ballhead arh !?!??!

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    zooms will never be a good substitute for primes in terms of optical quality and sharpness and aperture.

BUT zooms are a good substitute when it comes to convenience and weight.

esp this one.

haha

man man man nobody recommend me a ballhead arh !?!??!
    Think you posted earlier that you were on a budget? How about the Manfrotto 488? If no budget, then can spring for the Markins or Kirk or Arca Swiss or Acratech...

yeah

looking at giottos mh-1000 along that line..

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    garion

i understand you're using the 50-500 also..

can recommend a ballhead preferably under $300 ?

or what do you recommend if there's no budget ?
    Sorry for the late reply dude...been bz lately..

I used to have the 50-500...but have since sold it off already (reason: upgrade ). For ballhead under $300, you can go for the Manfrotto 488 RC2 series. Giottos ballhead isn't that good...my friend has one and he has experienced ballhead creep when his system is mounted on it.

If no budget, of course recommend u stuff like Arca Swiss B1, Acratech Ultimate Ballhead or Markins. All are proven ballheads, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Its best to make the right choice at the beginning, and then you won't buy, use, regret not getting the good one at the beginning, and then sell and buy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Sorry for the late reply dude...been bz lately..

I used to have the 50-500...but have since sold it off already (reason: upgrade ). For ballhead under $300, you can go for the Manfrotto 488 RC2 series. Giottos ballhead isn't that good...my friend has one and he has experienced ballhead creep when his system is mounted on it.

If no budget, of course recommend u stuff like Arca Swiss B1, Acratech Ultimate Ballhead or Markins. All are proven ballheads, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Its best to make the right choice at the beginning, and then you won't buy, use, regret not getting the good one at the beginning, and then sell and buy again.
    Garion, no problem ! I appreciate it that you actually take time to reply

Hmm.. okay I think once i get the 50-500 i'll go test it out at CP with these ballheads. Coz apparently the specs of the Giottos state that it can tahan up to 10kg... I'll try the 488 for sure. Maybe also can try 468.. but they're heavy ballheads. -__-

Yeah i know arca swiss acratech all that are all proven and can't go wrong. but the money is really proven and can't go wrong too.. haha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123