Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: Y Gf & Camera Hobby can never mix ?

Quote Originally Posted by feryl
    My gf endures my incessant chirping about composition, aperture, shutter speed and Crumpler bags

She laughs at me when i walk around with my camera, saying how nerdy i look.

She smiles acceptingly when i send her photos i think are worth her attention.

She bemusingly indulges me by using my digicam, when i know she prefers her 10 yr old P&S.

She often drags me away from camera shops, chanting 'you have no spare cash' repeatedly while doing so.

She rarely stops me from taking pictures, even in the middle of crossing a road.

If she asks me to, I will throw the camera away. (and sneakily buy a disposable Kodak once in a while ) because i know she loves me too much to do that.
    Eh.. you sound like trying to describe my gf.
    in the beginning, my gf once said that i treat my camera better than i treat her, and say i dive dive, buy photography items draining money.

so in the end, i pass her canon a70 and let her shoot around for sometime, subject being us. snap.. snap.. snap.. and after a lot of compliments on her fine work of photography, she is getting excited and interested in taking snap shots and viewing them on screen. (well, a pity though that i pass the cam now to my sister as a bday present, so now sourcing for another digicam )

i also show her enlarged darkroom processed shots of her, she was like whoa!!!

then last phrase came in "mistress, you prefer it to be real life woman or photography/diving?"

voila.

really? but from what you described, seems different

my gf doesn't particularly like photography, even though most of her photos are better than mine. To her, the camera is a tool of necessity (like a vacuum cleaner), not an instrument of art. So, she tolerates my constant ranting about a tool that interests her about as much as vacuum cleaning.

She is a rationalist, a 'wsiwyg' person, as opposed to a 'wandering mind' person like me. The beauty of love, i guess, is that both of us could get along without any major argument for the past 7 yrs.

i tend to agree that relationships are about compromise, and i tend to fall on the side of being capable of giving up hobbies, if necessary, to save a relationship. Because, if you can't trust ur partner to love u enuff not to abuse that consideration, then the relationship would not last.

Quote Originally Posted by cheechee
    Eh.. you sound like trying to describe my gf.
    in the beginning, my gf once said that i treat my camera better than i treat her, and say i dive dive, buy photography items draining money.

so in the end, i pass her canon a70 and let her shoot around for sometime, subject being us. snap.. snap.. snap.. and after a lot of compliments on her fine work of photography, she is getting excited and interested in taking snap shots and viewing them on screen. (well, a pity though that i pass the cam now to my sister as a bday present, so now sourcing for another digicam )

i also show her enlarged darkroom processed shots of her, she was like whoa!!!

then last phrase came in "mistress, you prefer it to be real life woman or photography/diving?"

voila.

i tend to agree that relationships are about compromise, and i tend to fall on the side of being capable of giving up hobbies, if necessary, to save a relationship. Because, if you can't trust ur partner to love u enuff not to abuse that consideration, then the relationship would not last.
    I will hope that we have less "compromise" and more "complement". More like: I can cook, she can wash; I shoot photos, she plans travels; I play with children, she educate them, etc.

I was on the bus one day and i saw this quote appears on TV mobile:

"Girls are not meant to be understand, They are meant to be loved"

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    I will hope that we have less "compromise" and more "complement". More like: I can cook, she can wash; I shoot photos, she plans travels; I play with children, she educate them, etc.
    that may work for most couples. complementary roles reek of role-compartmentalization to me... :P

like we cook, wash, plan, play and educate together. just coz we're bad at something doesn't mean we don't participate. for example, she's a better photographer than me, but she doesn't like photography, so when she goes on rare photography trips with me, she spends most of the time grinning sadly at me as i fiddle with camera settings, since she has already taken a few good shots on her plain auto P&S.

I am a lousy cook too, but i always try anyway. it's fun to mess up when it's with someone who cares for u. thanks to this, i've finally figured out how to cook stuff without needing a fire extinguisher.

washing plates with 4 hands is challenging but really fun. our parents don't often let us do it tho, coz we use too much water. :P

that may work for most couples. complementary roles reek of role-compartmentalization to me... :P
    I am a lousy cook too, but i always try anyway. it's fun to mess up when it's with someone who cares for u. thanks to this, i've finally figured out how to cook stuff without needing a fire extinguisher.

washing plates with 4 hands is challenging but really fun. our parents don't often let us do it tho, coz we use too much water. :P
    What a romantic way to wash plates. Anyway, you have inspired me. I have decided that my husband would start his cooking lesson this weekend!

Back to topic, photography & gf does mix...just pick the right gal who shares your interest or is not opposed to your interest. It goes a long way when you're together for the long haul.

Default hmmm

look at my quote.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ong
    I was on the bus one day and i saw this quote appears on TV mobile:

"Girls are not meant to be understand, They are meant to be loved"
    That's why they demand so much. Again, read my first post on page three.

The advertiser must be a girl

Quote Originally Posted by spraylord
    look at my quote.
    is that a police uniform i see in ur avatar?

I'm lucky. My wife's highly supportive of my hobby. Although she does give me a glum face whenever I bring home a plastic bag with a Nikon box in it.

My wife occasionally follows me on some of my phototrips (usually during her school breaks - teacher mah), but mostly we spent our time at home taking pictures of flowers and vegetables (yeah, she took a shot of me when I was sleeping... she said I look like vegetable).

My friend (the cute cute girl in my avatar) is often my companion on photo trips (usually during my off days). I lent her my Canon EOS300 (I think I'll just give it to her) for a few weeks for her holiday with her bf.

Eversince then, her bf complain to me that she prefers cameras than him.

Now, she totes my Coolpix 5700 (my wife's actually, but I use it as my secondary digital camera for my main film camera) and my tripod. Heheheheh. I lug her small bag (of female necessities and water bottle) and my own camera bag.

And... we argue over shooting. I prefer flowers and greens. She prefers people and buildings. My wife prefers to shoot me in action (like fiddling with my camera and lying prone in the dirt).

All in all. I love my company for my phototrips. I always look forward to have them.

I hope you folks can find your gf/bf/f to enjoy what you do too.

And no. The girl in my avatar is not my wife. She's not my gf nor my "spare tire" - contrary to what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentLin
    And no. The girl in my avatar is not my wife. She's not my gf nor my "spare tire" - contrary to what people think.
    So the avatar is actually you? Right?

Well, maybe I shd say something as a female.

I tink the gf is indeed a bit unreasonable.
    I mean, if b4 she even par tor with that person, she shd know he is a photographer and be aware that photographers, esp when they are totally absorbed in catching certain shots...can be so self indulge, they simply forget abt the surrounding.

My bf often follow me when I go shooting. I am very very glad that he is such a lovely man, he doesnt mind or even show any black face when I almost forget about him when I was aiming some bees on flowers at botanical garden. I was squating there...at least focusing..snapping..waiting for like 15mins. And when I am done, I realise he is gone...some where walk walk. And I realise he taken a pic of me looking very unlady-like with the telephoto lens
    I mean, yah I feel bad neglecting him. (somemore he was carrying my tripod and the rest of my gear...)
    Of course I make up for him lah. After that, I go to him, say things like...sorry dear, so engrossed just now...help him wipe the sweat off the forehead lah...then give him a drink....peck him on the cheek.....
    U noe...things like that are necessary in a r/s to keep things going. He is my constant "model" also. Sometimes I will say tings like..."eh...the corridor very empty lah, no subject, I need someone to walk there..." kekeke..and he go loh.
    I bring my canon Ixus with me everytime...recently he seems to be having fun with it while i m playing with my SLR...and I demo to him wat kind of funny things we can do to the pictures with photoshop in my house...(praise his pictures...although they dun really look that fantastic, but recently improved a lot liao.. HAHAHAA)
    Certain things like that...although he may not have interest in this originally, he will be influence sooner or later and at least know what are the things I am rattling abt shutter speed, aperture piriority and polariser.
    I think give n take is wat impt in a r/s.
    If the gf say cant bring camera, maybe shd say..hey...lovely gf must be in the picture. then u can show off to ur fren, ur bf n u have such wonderful experience there....looking nice n pretty in those pictures....blah blah lah
    Not only gals needed to be pamper, guys also, and I think obviously it does feels gd when someone shower attention on u guys rite? Who doesnt wan to be care for in one way or another?

r/s are precious. If u truely love her, dun let hobby ruin it. Unless things really cannot be salvage, then that's a diff story.
    Gd luck brudder
    Last edited by jnifur; 1st May 2004 at 01:18 AM.
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    actually, he already explained that the avatar is his "cute cute fren".

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    NO LAR. I'M MALE LAR.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567