Thread: Lens for Handheld in most situation.

Default Lens for Handheld in most situation.

Hi,

I'm using the Canon EOS 300D any idea what lens to get if I need a reasonable zoom range and also a acceptable weight or size preferable with IS so that I can handheld in most situation.
    So far I have the EF70-300 F/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM lens in mind.

Default Reasonable Zoom

What abt 70-200mm F2.8 L IS. Add 1.4x TC you get 280mm F4 with IS.
    Any users of this lens would like comment

any idea how much this will cost?

70-300 DO is going to cost more than $2k, judging from B&H prices.

it rather depends on what you mean by "reasonable zoom range" right? for most everyday situations, the 28-135mm IS should suffice. if you're talking super tele range, then the sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by IronKong
    Hi,

I'm using the Canon EOS 300D any idea what lens to get if I need a reasonable zoom range and also a acceptable weight or size preferable with IS so that I can handheld in most situation.
    So far I have the EF70-300 F/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM lens in mind.
    Depends on your budget. As mpenza said, the 70-300 DO IS is probably going to cost over $2k when it reaches Singapore. The only benefit I see is that it's a very short lens, due to the DO. Other than that for that price and lens speed, it's not very worth it. For that price range a 70-200 f/4 at around $1300 would be a better deal.

Based on what you said, I think what you'll want is the 28-135 IS. Has a decent range which would suffice in most situations except maybe large group shots. For the wide angle you could use your kit EF-S 18-55. It's quality is fantastic, contrary to what many people say.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    Depends on your budget. As mpenza said, the 70-300 DO IS is probably going to cost over $2k when it reaches Singapore. The only benefit I see is that it's a very short lens, due to the DO. Other than that for that price and lens speed, it's not very worth it. For that price range a 70-200 f/4 at around $1300 would be a better deal.

Based on what you said, I think what you'll want is the 28-135 IS. Has a decent range which would suffice in most situations except maybe large group shots. For the wide angle you could use your kit EF-S 18-55. It's quality is fantastic, contrary to what many people say.
    agree with u, mr. jason... i think the 28-135mm IS is the best walkaround lens... very very general purpose...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Caussway
    What abt 70-200mm F2.8 L IS. Add 1.4x TC you get 280mm F4 with IS.
    Any users of this lens would like comment
    No..
    I recommend the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM, with a 2x TC
    That should cost around $3.65k only... Good deal...

try 28-135 IS for a start